No more prime rib?

kevin1551

It's not just prime rib that's missing. Snapper, brisket, short ribs seem to be gone. And as I've posted elsewhere, the high quality starters are gone from menus on the app too--leaving mostly just soups and salads. Crab cake, beef carpaccio, tuna poke, beef spring rolls... all gone from menus I've looked at.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

This menu reminds me of my local N.J. diner menu. How sad.

I agree completely. Tilapia as the fish on chic night? I suppose there is always the anytime salmon, but I usually save that for night that the menu is typically less desirable than formal night. I wonder how low this can go. 

• Like 2

We have a cruise coming up in a few months and have noticed the menu has changed and the offerings are less and not nearly as varied or unique.  We cruise for the food, and this is especially why we choose Celebrity over other lines.  Serving Tilapia on a formal night, no prime rib, etc. is not really acceptable for the amount we pay for the experience.  We were about to book a cruise to Alaska but have decided to hold off until we see how much Celebrity has downgraded the cruising experience - especially the food - on our next sailing.  I am reserving judgement until we experience it first hand, but from what I am reading it isn't making me excited to book anything new.  

Perhaps Celebrity feels if they turn the MDR experience into the equivalent of going to a chain restaurant that cruisers will fork over the extra money for the specialty restaurants?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Uwlwsrpm said:

It seems like beef & chicken dishes have been the main categories growing more sparse in both the MDR and OVC, looking at what survives it seems they're trying to steer more toward the veggie & fish stuff.

The fish choices are not very good.  I would prefer wild caught salmon and not the farmed salmon that they have.  That is my choice at home.  Tilapia LOL.  I remember eating that in my young early days because it was inexpensive but not good.  The sea bass would be good if is a quality cut and prepared well.  We will have to see.  I only see that on one night.

Just sailed on Connie in Dec.  worst cruise ever on X It was our 17th cruise on X.  No hot water to shower with.  Complained  daily no response.  Could not speak to hotel director.  MDR service was poor ttt try ied to speak to mgr no response.  Food poor very small .  Rude and not competent staff.  Ship gave us cheap bottle of wine as a reward.  Staff not trained.  The shrimp dinner was 3 small shrimp probably 36 count.  X does not care any more.  I could go on but why waste time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RichYak said:

It's not just prime rib that's missing. Snapper, brisket, short ribs seem to be gone. And as I've posted elsewhere, the high quality starters are gone from menus on the app too--leaving mostly just soups and salads. Crab cake, beef carpaccio, tuna poke, beef spring rolls... all gone from menus I've looked at.

When are you scheduled for your next cruise?  I'd be interested in getting your in-person perspective.   This appears to be in the category of: "You can't be serious"

12 hours ago, Host Anne said:

The cost cutting has been happening for awhile.  Continuing to raise prices for cruises and lowering quality is not going to work for cruise lines very long....

I’m already considering whether to continue my search for a cruise.

As it is Silhouette’s last year sailing from Southampton, I would like one more cruise on her, but none of the itineraries grab my attention.

Edited by upwarduk

10 hours ago, Oville said:

Always so negative.

Look at what’s been going on in the cruise industry the last 8-10 years with the price, the quality of service, and food, etc. If you think things haven’t changed for the worse, take off your rose colored glass and see the new reality. Excuses are a dime a dozen, but they don’t change the current situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I have to imagine the wastage of Tilapia is very high; most people don't want/won't eat that fish 

The name Tilapia has no "appeal"---

Put a French name to it , make up a " fancy " sounding name for a sauce  , and charge a high price,---that will create high demand, no wastage , excellent profit margin.

LOL-- It's like golf clubs---- every year they come out with a new "gimmick" to improve my ( our )game---they name the clubs with letters and numbers that " sound " good, guarantee to etc, etc -----

It don't work !! All it does is make me ( us ) feel better having new clubs and increase the profits of the club manufacturers. ( I don't even play my age anymore ) !

5 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

The name Tilapia has no "appeal"---

Put a French name to it , make up a " fancy " sounding name for a sauce  , and charge a high price,---that will create high demand, no wastage , excellent profit margin.

LOL-- It's like golf clubs---- every year they come out with a new "gimmick" to improve my ( our )game---they name the clubs with letters and numbers that " sound " good, guarantee to etc, etc -----

It don't work !! All it does is make me ( us ) feel better having new clubs and increase the profits of the club manufacturers. ( I don't even play my age anymore ) !

It works on some people, but somewhere in the description it will say Tilapia and it won't work on us. 

I think some people are starting to come around on the "Keep the offerings you had and charge us a few dollars a day more" mentality.  

Soon they'll have fish patties instead 

• Like 1

I know there is concern about the food, but I’m currently on the Equinox and as a seasoned cruiser on multiple lines, rest assured you will not go hungry.    Yesterday in the mdr lunch there were several salads, duck, pork, beef items as well as hot or cold soup available.    Mdr dinner choices are about  the same as I have experienced on past celebrity cruises.   There has been veal, pork, beef and other mains as well as the always standards of salmon, chicken, steak .   Tonights menu includes shrimp scampi, grilled cobia, roasted lamb, beef tournedos, stuffed portobello mushroom plus the standards.   For someone who asked , grilled snapper will be served on night five.   The OVC doesnt have as many selections as before, but from what I have seen , all food groups are represented.  Im one to always wait to experience the whole of things for myself and not totally trust snippits of info 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I cruise the most on X and the second most on CCL.  CCL’s specialty dining is cheaper and is on par with X’s specialty dining; CCL’s specialty dining blows away X’s complimentary dining but that shouldn’t be a big surprise.  Also while I understand many don’t cruise for comfort food, on CCL they have Shaqs Big chicken, Guys BBQ and Guys burgers all complimentary…All of those are some of the best comfort food I’ve had on a ship.  The big difference there is the cruise line is forced to follow a recipe and use a certain quality of ingredients (for guys burgers they can’t buy the cheapest patty’s) and are therefore immune to budget cuts

Does CCL serve tilapia?

59 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Don’t forget rack of lamb is also gone

• Like 1

In September we took a cruise on the Allure of the Seas.  The food was amazing!  Our usual cruises are on Celebrity and Hal.  The food has been ok - but nothing compared to the Allure.  My husband literally raved about it.  It was wonderful. Now I have been looking at the menus for our Jan. 30 on the Silhouette.  I think I will be eating a lot of salmon.  I hope they can cook it properly.  We have a reservation at Qusine for one evening.  I hope that is up to standard.  I think I'm going to have to make a few more reservations.  

I was disappointed in the Constellation in December.  Many of the more expensive items were missing from buffet and dining room.  It’s understandable that some changes need to occur due to escalated food prices.  However I found several items that were also just not prepared properly.  Foods overcooked etc.  couldn’t get waffles at breakfast because nobody knew how to make them.   There were also several other issues. I have sailed with Celebrity for a long time, so I’m not willing to give up yet, but I feel that changes need to occur if they expect to keep me.  

Edited by lhcruzin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Winnigirl said:

I think I will be eating a lot of salmon.  I hope they can cook it properly. 

For many restaurants fish is tough to cook.  I find it overcooked many times.

Add to this a large MDR which is cooking large amounts of food...

I don't think that the dishes are brought out right away as the servers are busy busy...

Edited by NMTraveller

26 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

It works on some people, but somewhere in the description it will say Tilapia and it won't work on us. 

I think some people are starting to come around on the "Keep the offerings you had and charge us a few dollars a day more" mentality.  

Soon they'll have fish patties instead 

I think that Tilapia is what goes into the fish patties.  Most of the time they just call it fish as they are too embarrassed to call it Tilapia.

18 minutes ago, retird said:

I know there is concern about the food, but I’m currently on the Equinox and as a seasoned cruiser on multiple lines, rest assured you will not go hungry.    Yesterday in the mdr lunch there were several salads, duck, pork, beef items as well as hot or cold soup available.    Mdr dinner choices are about  the same as I have experienced on past celebrity cruises.   There has been veal, pork, beef and other mains as well as the always standards of salmon, chicken, steak .   Tonights menu includes shrimp scampi, grilled cobia, roasted lamb, beef tournedos, stuffed portobello mushroom plus the standards.   For someone who asked , grilled snapper will be served on night five.   The OVC doesnt have as many selections as before, but from what I have seen , all food groups are represented.  Im one to always wait to experience the whole of things for myself and not totally trust snippits of info 

Perhaps food choices vary on different ships.  Our experience on the Silhouette last week was that many of the items you have listed as being available on the Equinox were not offered (beef tournedos, prime rib, short ribs, grilled snapper).  The absolute best meal I had in the main dining room was crab crusted flounder, and that was because we disregarded the waiter's suggestion that it was "fishy".  The second best dish was the shrimp scampi, although it was not the server's recommendation.  I almost felt like we were being encouraged to order the less expensive dishes.  

• Like 2