Dining room dress code

wannagonow123

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Well I guess if you think that it IS acceptable to dress in the MDR in shorts & a wife beater T for dinner I guess that's fine for you. I feel most other pax would rather dine with pax who at least make an effort to not look like a slob.Not talking Tux/Suit, just reasonably dressed.

How do you know what most other pax feel?  So you continue to insult hundreds by calling them slobs because they do not dress to your desires.   Thousands every day on multiple cruises are slobs by your definition.Congratulations you have convinced no one to change and most likey never will.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, damiross said:

Why care about others?  As long as you are happy, who cares what others think.

I have a female friend you likes to dress in hot pants and extremely low cut blouses. Ok with that around your children ?  There are places for everything but not every dress is ok for everywhere

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have a female friend you likes to dress in hot pants and extremely low cut blouses. Ok with that around your children ?  There are places for everything but not every dress is ok for everywhere

Deja Vu...60's. ✌️ Thanks for the memories. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, memoak said:

So she wears it on shore around other peoples children and it seems not to be a problem.  Why all of a sudden is it one onboard a ship? Do you tell her that, according to you, she should not be around children?  What about children in your family that she might be around.

On 1/14/2023 at 10:16 AM, wannagonow123 said:

On formal nights we always eat in the buffet. We try to respect those who choose to get dressed up. That being said, when it is not a dress up day, my jeans are clean, not faded and not ripped. Same with my shirts. I truly wish there was a way to have one dining room for those that want to get dressed up, and one for ones that don't. I don't want to add weight to my suitcase.

You added weight by packing jeans. They are about the heaviest trousers one can pack.

• Like 4

On 1/19/2023 at 11:31 AM, Thrak said:

RE: Hats in MDR

Watch any old movie where pretty much all men wore hats. Now find even one where a man is wearing a hat while eating in a restaurant. I very much doubt you will even find one where a man is wearing a hat while eating anywhere - including private residences. Manners used to be important. It's sad that is apparently no longer the case.

Eating establishments used to provide hat stands or if they had booths hat hooks at the end of the booths.

7 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

How about the dress code for cross dressers? Asking for a friend.  😁

However, I have seen men show up with a kilt and not be  turned away. 

This is the time to wear the Patent Leather shoes. This is when you get to see what's under those kilts.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

You added weight by packing jeans. They are about the heaviest trousers one can pack.

My black sport coat weighs 20 ounces and it's easy to slip it on over a colored T shirt with a matching pocket square and a pair of black jeans  and be presentable for any formal or dress to impress night on any cruise line.  That sport coat has never let me down.

Plus, I like to dress up a little bit when She Who Must Be Obeyed is on my arm since she always manages to get dolled up.

• Like 3

On 1/20/2023 at 6:03 AM, MissP22 said:

I think you're making the assumption that weight is the reason why many guys no longer care to wear a jacket in the DR.

I believe it's more the fact that for years past is was considered mandatory but in todays world, it's now a choice left up to the individual- many choosing comfort over looks. 

Except when you look at the clothes that they wear they are ill fitting and not comfortable. They bind in the wrong place.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

Except when you look at the clothes that they wear they are ill fitting and not comfortable. They bind in the wrong place.

Isn't it their choice what is comfortable? I would think they know better than anyone else what is comfortable to them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

This topic makes me (even more) glad that I don't sail on any of the "nude cruises". I have to wonder what "formal night" looks like...🤪

On HAL we asked the waiter about that and he said they sit on their napkins!  LOL.  He was serious.

3 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

On HAL we asked the waiter about that and he said they sit on their napkins!  LOL.  He was serious.

I would hate to be a crew member on one of those cruises. I get frightened enough with my own reflection in the bathroom mirror. (I'm guessing they don't "whirl" those napkins around for the Baked Alaska Parade.)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

I would hate to be a crew member on one of those cruises. I get frightened enough with my own reflection in the bathroom mirror. (I'm guessing they don't "whirl" those napkins around for the Baked Alaska Parade.)

LOL.  I would surely hope they clean the chairs after the cruise.  Thus, probably why they sit on the napkin.  I couldn't do it, but of course, we wouldn't have to worry about what to wear!  Here we haven't cruised since 2020 and are looking at 2024 and I wanted to get dressed up as we haven't done anything and am wondering if getting dressed up in a thing of the past.  One of the things I always enjoyed.