Feels like I’m getting hosed

Cruise till you drop

4 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Yes that was my other suspicion and I was bumped for a more important passenger.

Your TA did not screwup. Princess made the mistake and won’t deny it. Go back to your old room and check the status of that person staying there. Member status. 

Edited by DHP1

1 minute ago, DHP1 said:

Your TA did not screwup. Princess made the mistake and won’t deny it. 

"could" the TA have gotten the transfer notice, and not passed it on to the OP? - of course the TA would deny they ever got it from Princess. After all, it was an 'upgrade'

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

"could" the TA have gotten the transfer notice, and not passed it on to the OP? - of course the TA would deny they ever got it from Princess. After all, it was an 'upgrade'

This is why I do my own booking online.  I have complete control. And you’re right, “could”. It was an upgrade in location only. Cabin remains the same. This person wanted a specific location so in there mind, this was not an upgrade. 
I received an upgrade so they say and they place me at the back of the boat. I complain and got my cabin back which was located midship. 

Edited by DHP1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruise till you drop said:

By the way, there is someone in our original cabin and they said all Balconies and above are full.

My best guess on what happened is a passenger from last week who had that cabin decided to stay on for another week and the money grubbers at Princess ignored the no upgrade anyway to secure another cabin on this sailing.  

May need to get used to the new way of cruising which is escalated prices and no control over what you get

What if they had covid, stayed in their original cabin during isolation.  (This cabin) If they were on a b2b, different cabin, they may have been able to stay in this one instead of changing.   Many are electing to stay in their own cabins instead of going to the quarantine deck.

So many variables and with bidding going on, guarantee rates, etc many cabin changes can happen.  

I would try to forget it for now and get on with your cruise.  I hope the rest is enjoyable.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1

As Elite members who do lots of B2Bs, I don’t think B2Bers OR Elite members were moved into that cabin, not purposefully. That’s not the way the system really works. In fact, I think the Princess system DOESN’T work, and that’s why it overrides the no upgrade flag and moves guests into what  it believes are better locations (mid ship, lower). 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Why? By now you must have read several posts that state, or even have had the experience, of Princess totally ignoring requests for no upgrades.

@ontheweb No need to get snarky about it. The OP appears to be a newbie and I thought that I would make the suggestion. Your comment was not contributory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

What if they had covid, stayed in their original cabin during isolation.  (This cabin) If they were on a b2b, different cabin, they may have been able to stay in this one instead of changing.   Many are electing to stay in their own cabins instead of going to the quarantine deck.

So many variables and with bidding going on, guarantee rates, etc many cabin changes can happen.  

I would try to forget it for now and get on with your cruise.  I hope the rest is enjoyable.

Totally agreed, however Princes should explain the reason for the cabin change. It’s good customers service. 

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Your TA did not screwup. Princess made the mistake and won’t deny it. Go back to your old room and check the status of that person staying there. Member status. 

And how are you supposed to check the member status of a passenger staying in a room? I don’t think that’s information that you will be given.

4 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

And how are you supposed to check the member status of a passenger staying in a room? I don’t think that’s information that you will be given.

If I recall there is a colour code next to the name posted outside the door. 

7AAF3207-4104-4667-89E3-7EC6386104BD.png

Edited by DHP1

10 minutes ago, nini said:

@ontheweb No need to get snarky about it. The OP appears to be a newbie and I thought that I would make the suggestion. Your comment was not contributory.

Actually not a newbie and am platinum on Carnival and a Princess and have also sailed with Celebrity.

But I am a newbie to having my cabin moved.  First time in 25 cruises

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Actually not a newbie and am platinum on Carnival and a Princess and have also sailed with Celebrity.

But I am a newbie to having my cabin moved.  First time in 25 cruises

It’s definitely not a good feeling especially when Princess doesn’t explain why. I would be upset also. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

It’s definitely not a good feeling especially when Princess doesn’t explain why. I would be upset also. 

I guess I would want to know..when did the UG happen?  They can see that in their computer.  What date did the TA get advised?  If they did.

Just would like to know for my own information.

29 minutes ago, nini said:

Yes, she is a "newbie" with 25 cruises prior to the one she is asking about! 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

No, you made a comment about marking no upgrade when YOU KNEW IT DID NO GOOD!

Whatever... According to your brilliance, I am the only one who made the suggestion. So much for the purpose of all of CC.

12 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

On over 25 cruises, we’ve never had this happen.  What we booked is what we got.  So quite honestly, we’ve had no reason to believe this would happen, especially since our TA said no upgrade.  I did notice the luggage tags did have the changed room but as we weren’t expecting this, we really didn’t pick up on this until we were on the ship. It’s just disappointing that we weren’t told more clearly in advance and then the lying and deception about why this even happened.  It’s just so frustrating to say the least.

But thanks for everyone’s comments.  Much appreciated 

We have had room changes before. If you monitor you cruise info and respond quickly you can usually get it corrected. If you or your TA do not catch it, then not much you can do except maybe get a little OBC or FCC.

Had a couple of changes where we had a change due to our room getting removed from inventory for operational reasons  One was when they used the room for a guest entertainer. Another was due to a problem with the room on the previous cruise and some work was being done on it.

Usually not much the ship can do if you wait and raise the issue onboard since other passengers are already assigned by the department responsible for managing inventory and assignments.

1 hour ago, DHP1 said:

Someone wanted that cabin and paid extra to get it or, they were an Elite member.

Nope there is no Elite benefit for getting someone moved out of their room to another room.

Also no way to pay extra to do the same.

Some more likely possibilities are

1.a group booking all wanting to be together that was large enough to go through the group booking department.

2. A special request from a guest entertainer wanting a room in that area. (that happened to us once)

3 a request from someone in corporate or a ships officer, maybe their family being on the cruise.

4. the revenue maximization algorithm moving people around based upon demand and the need to fill guarantees.

Just now, nasa1974 said:

I've got a b2b in October on the Crown. Definitely going to keep an eye on my cabin number.

Thanks.

Yes and make sure both are marked No upgrade.

My b2b’s were marked no UG and both were changed to different cabins.  I just happened to notice it on the website summary.  I quickly checked both b2b’s and now were in different cabins. Called TA and he got my original, same cabin back!  He was surprised not to be notified.  

So….now I check frequently.

16 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

No, you made a comment about marking no upgrade when YOU KNEW IT DID NO GOOD!

Actually the no upgrade system generally worked prior to Covid. It largely broke down during restart due to people being able to book in decks that were used for quarantine ares on those cruises. As well as the need to balance passenger locations with crew staffing during periods of low staff.

I expect that as ships get back to normal occupancy and staffing periods return to normal, the no upgrade function will also get better. Though it has also been limited if they need to make a change for operational reasons.

4 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Nope there is no Elite benefit for getting someone moved out of their room to another room.

Also no way to pay extra to do the same.

Some more likely possibilities are

1.a group booking all wanting to be together that was large enough to go through the group booking department.

2. A special request from a guest entertainer wanting a room in that area. (that happened to us once)

3 a request from someone in corporate or a ships officer, maybe their family being on the cruise.

4. the revenue maximization algorithm moving people around based upon demand and the need to fill guarantees.

I think #4 is more likely.  In our case, it had not been assigned to anyone on either cruise.  That’s how we were able to get the cabin back for both b2b cruises. I caught it very early.

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes and make sure both are marked No upgrade.

My b2b’s were marked no UG and both were changed to different cabins.  I just happened to notice it on the website summary.  I quickly checked both b2b’s and now were in different cabins. Called TA and he got my original, same cabin back!  He was surprised not to be notified.  

So….now I check frequently.

Thanks, but reading the other posts it seems like NO UPGRADE doesn't mean anything. I'm traveling solo so no big deal if they upgrade me as long as I'm in the same cabin for both cruises and I'm not above or below a loud venue.

2 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

By the way, there is someone in our original cabin and they said all Balconies and above are full.

My best guess on what happened is a passenger from last week who had that cabin decided to stay on for another week and the money grubbers at Princess ignored the no upgrade anyway to secure another cabin on this sailing.  

May need to get used to the new way of cruising which is escalated prices and no control over what you get

Nope that does not work. They will only allow a passenger to extend if their is an available cabin to be booked. 

Prices have not even really started to escalate yet. You can expect that later this year.

5 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I think #4 is more likely.  In our case, it had not been assigned to anyone on either cruise.  That’s how we were able to get the cabin back for both b2b cruises. I caught it very early.

Most likely, however many people prefer going the evil conspiracy route and assume it was done for some nefarious reason.