Feels like I’m getting hosed

Cruise till you drop

11 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

We usually get an "e-mail" from Princess regarding a cabin change (upgrade) prior to departure however, we have certain amount of time (ie 5 days) to cancel it and go back to our original cabin or accept it.

If you use aTA all info usually goes through them not directly to the passenger. 

12 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Really?  Never had 5 days to cancel it

or even an email.  Just happened to notice it on my booking, even though marked No UG.

Sorry, I checked.  Its within 48 hours.

It is our pleasure to advise that you have received a complimentary upgrade (AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE) into the category/cabin listed on this confirmation. It is highly recommended that you review this cabin's details on Princess.com as cabins may vary in size and bed/bathroom configuration. *** Please email UPGRADEOFFER@PRINCESSCRUISES. COM within 48 business hours if you choose to decline this complimentary upgrade so that we can attempt to return you to your original cabin. Should a lower fare be selected, this upgrade will no longer apply. ***

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DHP1 said:

Sorry, I checked.  Its within 48 hours.

It is our pleasure to advise that you have received a complimentary upgrade (AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE) into the category/cabin listed on this confirmation. It is highly recommended that you review this cabin's details on Princess.com as cabins may vary in size and bed/bathroom configuration. *** Please email UPGRADEOFFER@PRINCESSCRUISES. COM within 48 business hours if you choose to decline this complimentary upgrade so that we can attempt to return you to your original cabin. Should a lower fare be selected, this upgrade will no longer apply. ***

How nice.  How long ago was this?

31 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I’m having a hard time looking into the category difference as the internet isn’t so good.  We specifically booked Sun Deck and it was on my receipt

And we’re getting zero help from Princess 

Its S209 vs R305

S209 is a BF balcony R305 is a BB balcony

When you say receipt, is that a document that you got from you TA or is it the booking confirmation from Princess. or for that matter did you ever check what the it said when you logged into the Princess web site to look at your cruise info. What about your luggage tags when you printed them, before you boarded since that would match what the Princess DB said.

If the booking confirmation from Princess said S209 then you a valid complaint with Princess, if all you had was a document from your TA not Princess then it might be your TAs fault. You should have had a booking confirmation mailed to you when you booked and another one after final payment.

Our next trip is in March.  While on Discovery over Thanksgiving week I was able to get my email (a miracle! given the slow internet speeds!)  I had 48 hours to waive off their 'upgrade', but no internet ability to research what they had done.  Fortunately, I went to the future booking agent on board and confirmed that the 'upgrade' room was not a 'pig in a poke'. 

The bottom line is that they will (are supposed to) send an email of the upgrade, but the time limit to respond is 48 hours, not 5 days, currently. 

Unfortunately, Princess “upgrades” bookings even when they are marked no upgrade. Happened twice to my husband on the Ruby Princess out of six cruises. We were notified neither time,  it discovered it in the Medallion app.  I spent hours on chat trying to get his original cabin back. One time I could; the other time, even though his original cabin was available when I started the chat, two hours later it was gone before they could escalate the issue (seriously?) to get him moved back into it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Unfortunately, Princess “upgrades” bookings even when they are marked no upgrade. Happened twice to my husband on the Ruby Princess out of six cruises. We were notified neither time,  it discovered it in the Medallion app.  I spent hours on chat trying to get his original cabin back. One time I could; the other time, even though his original cabin was available when I started the chat, two hours later it was gone before they could escalate the issue (seriously?) to get him moved back into it. 

When they cancelled my comped cruise I put my cabin on hold before calling them and they were able to reinstate it.    

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Actually in my case I was mistaken.  Our TA apparently already put “ no upgrade “ and yet, Princess ignored it

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Unfortunately, Princess “upgrades” bookings even when they are marked no upgrade. Happened twice to my husband on the Ruby Princess out of six cruises. We were notified neither time,

9 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Actually in my case I was mistaken.  Our TA apparently already put “ no upgrade “ and yet, Princess ignored it

On our last cruise (December) Princess "upgraded" us 3 times. We had booked a specific cabin as my wife wanted that location. We marked it "no upgrade". I was checking our booking and discovered we had been moved to a "better location". Our original cabin was shown as available. I called my TA and got the cabin back. The next day I checked again and, once again, we had been moved to a "better location". I checked again the next day and it had happened again. It was insane. They moved us 3 times with no notice when our booking was marked "no upgrade". The TA got the cabin back again. I sent a snotty gram to multiple people at princess - including John Padgett. I got a call and an apology along with an assurance they would leave my booking alone. They also comped us a specialty dining.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

" snotty gram"

Very interesting!  I may use that phrase in the future!!

I usually use the phrase "nasty-gram", but sometimes "snotty-gram" would be more appropriate!!

Edited by sirclean
repeated phrase

3 hours ago, DHP1 said:

I agreed  He got an upgrade and that's why Princess wouldn't help him however, Princess should had told him about the upgrade

I keep an eye on my room assignment, One cruise I was upgraded to a room I didn't want I called princess right away and they moved me back. I don't use a travel agent so I can keep an eye on it myself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kay.redmann said:

I keep an eye on my room assignment, One cruise I was upgraded to a room I didn't want I called princess right away and they moved me back. I don't use a travel agent so I can keep an eye on it myself. 

On over 25 cruises, we’ve never had this happen.  What we booked is what we got.  So quite honestly, we’ve had no reason to believe this would happen, especially since our TA said no upgrade.  I did notice the luggage tags did have the changed room but as we weren’t expecting this, we really didn’t pick up on this until we were on the ship. It’s just disappointing that we weren’t told more clearly in advance and then the lying and deception about why this even happened.  It’s just so frustrating to say the least.

But thanks for everyone’s comments.  Much appreciated 

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

On over 25 cruises, we’ve never had this happen.  What we booked is what we got.  So quite honestly, we’ve had no reason to believe this would happen, especially since our TA said no upgrade.  I did notice the luggage tags did have the changed room but as we weren’t expecting this, we really didn’t pick up on this until we were on the ship. It’s just disappointing that we weren’t told more clearly in advance and then the lying and deception about why this even happened.  It’s just so frustrating to say the least.

But thanks for everyone’s comments.  Much appreciated 

Are there other people in your original cabin?

On a recent cruise I was not happy when my cabin was changed from Deck 8 aft to Deck 12 middle a few days prior to boarding. I like being lower and down the back where its quiet. I had my room marked no upgrade. While I was on the ship I wandered down to my orignal cabin to find the entire back section of the ship enclosed in cyclone fencing with sheets or whatever draped over. They had turned it into a quarantine area. I'm glad they moved me but Princess could have notified me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Yes!  Same here in past year. I booked directly with Princess, talked to agent on phone, requested NO UPRADE,   Got upgrade, before final payment- could not get my aft facing cabin back & I cancelled cruise.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, nini said:

My first instinct was to ask, did you request "NO UPGRADE"???

Why? By now you must have read several posts that state, or even have had the experience, of Princess totally ignoring requests for no upgrades.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Good reason to mark your booking no upgrades.

11 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Didn’t realize that was possible 

It is only a request.    Lots of posts from people who were 'upgraded' regardless...

If you read the cruise contract, princess can do anything they want, including substituting a different ship...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

It is only a request.    Lots of posts from people who were 'upgraded' regardless...

If you read the cruise contract, princess can do anything they want, including substituting a different ship...

So true!  And it DOES happen. We’ve had upgrades with NO Upgrades noted and NO notice to us Or our TA.  
Ship changes, we HAVE been notified.  Thank goodness.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Didn’t realize that was possible 

Thanks for all the replies

Definitely doesn’t feel like an upgrade

Where do you select “no upgrades”?

First of all, I’m not sure where you mark “no upgrades” but my DW advised me after I first posted that it was marked that way by the TA.

Whats also annoying is that we booked side by side with our travel companions on Sun deck but when we were supposedly upgraded (sarcasm), we were put in cabins 5 decks apart. 

3 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

First of all, I’m not sure where you mark “no upgrades”

You don't. It is most likely a value entered in a comment field on the booking by a booking agent and easily ignored or missed by humans. In other words, it's not true/false condition that a computer can evaluate for and remove from dataset when they run whatever optimization program it is that they run which causes these sorts of "upgrades".

Sometimes people just repeat whatever they hear.

By the way, there is someone in our original cabin and they said all Balconies and above are full.

My best guess on what happened is a passenger from last week who had that cabin decided to stay on for another week and the money grubbers at Princess ignored the no upgrade anyway to secure another cabin on this sailing.  

May need to get used to the new way of cruising which is escalated prices and no control over what you get

• Like 1