UDP- no MDR needed

What is the most convenient and effective way to alert the MDR that you won’t be eating there for dinner, any night?  Last time that we got the UDP,  we had almost daily voicemails from the MDR “looking forward to seeing us”.  I had told our suite concierge that we wouldn’t be using the MDR, but apparently that didn’t work.  It’s not that I hated the VMs- I hated the fact that us not being there was probably holding up our table mates from a timely meal…  also hated that us not being there “wasted” an early time slot for traditional dining, that others could have used.

7 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

What is the most convenient and effective way to alert the MDR that you won’t be eating there for dinner, any night?  Last time that we got the UDP,  we had almost daily voicemails from the MDR “looking forward to seeing us”.  I had told our suite concierge that we wouldn’t be using the MDR, but apparently that didn’t work.  It’s not that I hated the VMs- I hated the fact that us not being there was probably holding up our table mates from a timely meal…  also hated that us not being there “wasted” an early time slot for traditional dining, that others could have used.

I never had that happen when I had the UDP.  Just call down when you get onboard or tell suite conceirge pre cruise

This is my biggest pet peeve. There is no way to say "I'm not using the MDR" and not take up a space. If you switch to MTD, you are taking up space there, so someone else might not get it. If you take a traditional dining spot, same thing.

This is a no win situation.

1 minute ago, 1025cruise said:

This is my biggest pet peeve. There is no way to say "I'm not using the MDR" and not take up a space. If you switch to MTD, you are taking up space there, so someone else might not get it. If you take a traditional dining spot, same thing.

This is a no win situation.

Actually you are pretty wrong.  MTD you do not need a set time for, it is random, and they will sit you at a table, when available, if you don't have a reservation.  There are plenty of tables.  If you have regular dining you are assigned a seat, at a table with others.  Those seats remain empty and the table mates will wonder where you are etc. 

The cruise line knows that a large number of MTD guests will not show up in the dining room for such things as unlimited dining or people who prefer the WJ.  So it becomes the default space.  

Think of it this way.  Traditional dining has a set number of seats, reserved, and can't be changed.  But MTD is open seating as in the WJ.  

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Actually you are pretty wrong.  MTD you do not need a set time for, it is random, and they will sit you at a table, when available, if you don't have a reservation.  There are plenty of tables.  If you have regular dining you are assigned a seat, at a table with others.  Those seats remain empty and the table mates will wonder where you are etc. 

The cruise line knows that a large number of MTD guests will not show up in the dining room for such things as unlimited dining or people who prefer the WJ.  So it becomes the default space.  

Think of it this way.  Traditional dining has a set number of seats, reserved, and can't be changed.  But MTD is open seating as in the WJ.  

No, MTD can fill up. It's not just a "catch all". They still need to accommodate the bulk of people. They just know that everyone won't be showing up at the same time. 

6 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I see many examples of early or late being available yet MTD being waitlisted or closed entirely

I assumed that they could see if you had a reservation at a specialty restaurant and therefore would know you weren't coming to regular dinner. We had specialty dining reservations every day, never went to the dining room, and nobody called us.

I guess they weren't as eager to have us for dinner as they were to have you 😂.

• Haha 1