Dining availability

Kakiwynn

I apologize if this has been asked before but I could not find this information. I know Seabourn states no reservations are required at dining venues other than The Grille By Thomas Keller. But how difficult is it to get a table at any of the other restaurants? If we walk into a restaurant and it is full, do we wait or do they send us to another restaurant?

No, this is not correct. When there are certain speciality nights in the Collonade (TK fried chicken night for example), you absolutely needs reservations although there is no mention anywhere of that. On our full ship from Dover to Montreal last summer, you needed to make your reservations early on to get a good time slot.

• Like 1

In my experience, they post the menus the evening before and they can be viewed on the Seabourn Source app.  The easiest way to secure reservations is by telling the host/hostess at the podium of the Colonnade, most conveniently when you go there earlier in the day for breakfast or lunch. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kakiwynn said:

Where do you make reservations for the Collonade and how far in advance do they post the menus? (This is my first Seabourn cruise.)

Don’t wait or you will not get your choice of seating time or possibility any seating. Go to the podium in the Collonade on the first day of your cruise and ask when TK fried chicken night is and for any other special nights that will require reservations for the duration of your cruise. Make your reservations that first day. Another helpful hint is to make reservations for 4 people to give yourself some flexibility.

Edited by kjbacon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just thinking about the dining room; yes of course book for dinners in the Colonnade'  I have always found that breakfast time was early enough, but maybe it is getting ever more popular for special nights.  (Fried chicken not being one of my faves).

There is rarely a time in The Restaurant (main dining location) at dinner when they  have no tables available.  Earth & Ocean, the outdoor venue, has very limited seating but the food is divine.  It good weather you may not be able to get a table.  If you brave it in the cold, you should score a table, as we did  most nights on our Canada/New England cruise.  We just bundled up.   If you will be on one of the ships with Sushi, the Japanese restaurant, you may not be able to get a table for dinner as it too is very small.  There are plenty of delicious options so you shouldn't be disappointed in any venue.

Jackie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skybluewaters said:

This might be helpful for you, but it is at the expense of someone else who won't be able to make a reservation. 

No, it’s not. It is to help another couple who didn’t know they needed a reservation by inviting them to join you.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

No, it’s not. It is to help another couple who didn’t know they needed a reservation by inviting them to join you.

Yes, we always invite friends to join us at the TK Grill or a reservations needed dinner at the Colonnade. 

Sometime ago there was a guy on the Silversea forum who openly admitted that he booked the Italian for every night ... purely so he had a table if the desire was there! He claimed he would cancel the reservation in the morning if he didn't fancy it that night!

Edited by MBP&O2/O

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on the Quest for the Holiday cruise in December which falls over my birthday. It will be our first time on Seaborn, I wanted something special for my big milestone. My husband called the other day to try to make a reservation for Jan. 2 at the special restaurant but was told there was nothing available that night so he had to make it for 6 p.m. on New Years Eve. He was told to try again when we board. We had the same problem on Crystal several years ago for our 50th anniversary. Never did get a reservation on our anniversary date even though the concierge, butler and our travel agent kept trying. We ended up being served a lovely dinner in our suite with items from several of the venues. We went to the special places on other days. The agent asked if we wanted another reservation on the first week but my husband didn't realize that we are allowed to make 2 reservations, one each week, so he will have to try again on that one. I told my husband I had read on here about making reservations, which I thought were for the main dining room. But maybe I misunderstood the posts I have read in this thread. We like to eat early. If we get there when it opens, will we get in or should we make reservations for the all of the evenings other than those 2 other nights at the special place?

If you like to eat early just go to the main dining rom when it opens (I think 7 p.m.) and you should have no problem.   There could be a very small queue at the door, arriving just before opening time.  You would need to book for a special dinner in the Colonnade, like the Indian market., or the TK fried chicken night, but normally people just ask the Colonnade Maitre' d at breakfast for a booking that evening.  Yes, you do need to book for the TK Grill in advance.

• Like 1

@jwitt2

Why don't you think about ordering a special meal in advance to be in the main dining room?  If it is a birthday celebration, SB will push the boat out for you!  And you could order something you would love to eat.  As long as you allow enough time for them to prepare your birthday meal, they will be happy to do that.  

It was my and my husband's birthday on our last long cruise, we had invites printed for lovely people we had met along the way, and we had a very special Indian meal in the main dining room.  It was a wonderful way to celebrate both our birthdays.  

Edited by Mauzac
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 11:01 AM, Kakiwynn said:

I apologize if this has been asked before but I could not find this information. I know Seabourn states no reservations are required at dining venues other than The Grille By Thomas Keller. But how difficult is it to get a table at any of the other restaurants? If we walk into a restaurant and it is full, do we wait or do they send us to another restaurant?

You’ve been advised a couple times now that the only place you need reservations is TK Grill. That is not correct. There are certain special nights in the Collonade, such as the specialty fried chicken menu, that require reservations. Stop at the podium in the Collonade on your first day and ask which nights of your voyage fall into that category.

Earlier, I suggested that you make your reservations for 4 so that you could be helpful toward another couple that you are bound to meet that didn’t know they needed a reservation. It’s a lovely way to pay it forward.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:04 PM, jwitt2 said:

My husband called the other day to try to make a reservation for Jan. 2 at the special restaurant but was told there was nothing available that night so he had to make it for 6 p.m. on New Years Eve. He was told to try again when we board.

It's worth noting that they intentionally hold back some significant percentage (maybe about 40%?) of the tables at the Thomas Keller restaurant from advance bookings, so they will have inventory available when people board and want to make reservations. If you decide that going to Thomas Keller is what you really want on your birthday, I suggest that immediately after boarding — before you eat lunch, before you check out your suite or explore the ship — you go to one of the restaurants and ask the maitre d' to see if they can get you in that night. 

If you can't get a reservation when you board, the other thing you can do is stop by the Thomas Keller restaurant just before their opening time on the 2nd, and ask if they have any cancellations or openings. Lots of people change their minds, meet other people, etc., and plans to change, so there are sometimes openings on the day of. (This often works better for later times than early times, but it cannot hurt to check if you really desire to dine there on a specific day.)

6 hours ago, Mauzac said:

Why don't you think about ordering a special meal in advance to be in the main dining room?

Just to add to this idea, you can ask them for an entire meal, or just a special dish. Escargots for appetizer? Lobster for dinner? Chocolate soufflé's for dessert? Ask, and they will usually be able to accommodate you. You do this by speaking with the maitre d' at least one day, but preferably a few days, in advance.

• Like 1