Cutbacks at Oceanview Cafe at Breakfast and Lunch ?

realnice46

29 minutes ago, Texed said:

The waffles are still there.  But, in my opinion, not as good.  🙁

I actually grabbed two out of the bin instead of waiting for fresh ones because it was the last day and I was in a hurry.  They were crisp and good.  I was surprised.  Sometimes I don't think they cook them long enough.

6 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I actually grabbed two out of the bin instead of waiting for fresh ones because it was the last day and I was in a hurry.  They were crisp and good.  I was surprised.  

Good for you.  😎

On 1/26/2023 at 6:41 PM, shofer said:

DH & I are one couple who like to sleep late and have a late, long and leisurely breakfast.  We get a big kick out of seeing the "early" (noon) lunch crowd lining up for their noon repast while we linger over our coffee and treats.

I hear ya.  On NCL so many folks show up at 10am or 10:30 that NCL really keeps a lot open until 11:15

If a cruise has a lot of families with teenagers or drinking crowd, then breakfast in later hours will be crowded.  But on ships with older folks like HAL, they are used to getting up early and so the buffet will be more crowded at 8-9 time slot.  

Back to the topic of this thread.  We are on day 7 of a 9 night Equinox cruise.  In my evaluation and observation, there has been plenty of good food and food choices in the OVC for both breakfast and lunch.  Not much different from before.  Most of the usual offerings.  They vary a bit each day particularly lunch.  They always have Asian, Mexican and vegetarian choices as well as the standards.  And egg stations with made to order including poached.  And waffles.  I remember grill stations but maybe only on M-class.  The OVC has only been dramatically cut back at dinner.  The dinner is pizza, pasta varieties, salad fixings, and a single hot station with hand-carved roast meats, and a choice of other hot selections plus side dishes.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Many of us have said this many times on this site and elsewhere:

(1) Some public announcement and definite menu/consistency on what OVC will be at dinner time would make the situation somewhat better.  Hard to plan or decide to buy when the food selection seems unpredictable or one is locked into the MDR for an included dinner.  This could also serve to clarify the menus, definitive source, etc. 

(2) Celebrity could use a quick serve style dinner option with a menu that allows customization (old OVC apparently had enough options that various food needs were able to be met).  This could be a buffet, the room service menu with some tweaks, Eden Cafe or one of the 4 dining rooms on Edge class, or just in OVC.

(3)    All of the comments also have me realizing that Celebrity needs a solid Allergen / Vegetarian/Vegan dedicated menu available every night somewhere.   If Celebrity can have vegetarian and allergy free food options around the ship and all the speciality dining rooms, there should be some way to  aggregate the options and make them available.   Kind of like the basics or kids menu.  This way at least there's options on the MDR that don't carry the same hassle and risk of having to try to customize a standing menu item.  The menus I've seen for MDR have the nice logos at the bottom,but then few options.

• Like 5

Those who have been concerned about cutbacks in the OVC may be happy to know that tonight for dinner they have the grill station open with fish, chicken, pork chop, steak, and multiple sausages. The stir-fry, carving, and pasta stations are also open.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Those who have been concerned about cutbacks in the OVC may be happy to know that tonight for dinner they have the grill station open with fish, chicken, pork chop, steak, and multiple sausages. The stir-fry, carving, and pasta stations are also open.

Excellent news!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

What ship?

20 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

No stir fry station for lunch all week

20 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Was it a late port day? From other posts is sounds like they increase the offerings on late port days.

I just got off The Reflection this morning. There were no cut backs for lunch and dinner. Yes there was stir fry.

Yes a couple of the nights only a forth of the OVC stations were open, but there was barely anyone in the OVC anyway as these were dress up nights.

• Thanks 1