Awful food on oasis

We were on Oasis this past summer. Honestly, Windjammer food was uneven. Some was very good and some was tasteless or poorly cooked. At least in a buffet you can always get something else.

At peak times lines did run from the entrance all the way back to the elevators and tables were hard to find.

We we did find was that almost all the desserts were bland. They looked great, but that was all.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Windjammer food is awesome, plenty of empty tables, even by a window, kudos to the designer of the food stations throughout Windjammer, Solarium is usually empty with seating and beds open everywhere.  Must be a UK problem.

Not a Uk problem, more a personal one.

Unnecessary comment 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Vision OTS back in 2015 for a 12 day Mediterranean cruise.  The first cruise I had ever been on where the food in the buffet and the MDR was worse than just average.  In some cases, inedible.  Needless to say, when the survey arrived I rated the food a zero.

Two years later, we booked Vision again for a Baltic cruise and discussed eating dinner in the specialty restaurants in lieu of the MDR.  On embarkation we headed to the WJ and were prepared for mediocre fare.  Big surprise for us as soon as we walked in spotting a huge selection in the dessert area was first.  (Previously, dessert was small squares of jello and sheet cake, period.)

The MDR menu was updated and the food so good.  

Don't know if our comments and rating were part of the change but it sure felt and tasted pretty good.

We had a great time, getting off and visiting the islands was the highlight of the cruise, we liked the portside BBQ best so wasn't all bad and the drinks were good, just got a bit repetitive on the boardwalk,it was constantly loud no quiet bars to visit,think people need to try other cruise lines to compare different things,as the comedian said in blaze RC are the Walmart of the seas enough said 

• Like 1

No matter what Cruise Line/Ship there are many comments about the poor food.

MDR menu selection reduced. 

Buffet is bad, etc.

Over the years the food quality, selection,  etc., has changed.

It will not get better. 

Food prices are going up all over. 

Speciality Restaurant prices going up. 

There is no solution to change the trend. 

We all have a choice. 

Pay the price, eat what is available or don't cruise. 

We will still cruise and accept what is happening as we cannot change it.

Who can change it? 

Ok so one person’s experience.  No more or less valid than any other.  I don’t personally agree with it.  I’ve always found something delicious in WJ, maybe not everything but something.  I do try not to go during prime dining hours so I can always find a table.  Solarium on Explorer was very popular (also small) so I was up there by 8 with my coffee and a book.  Harmony on the other hand was relatively easy to find a couple chairs together even later in the day.  YMMV

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gemrac9693 said:

We had a great time, getting off and visiting the islands was the highlight of the cruise, we liked the portside BBQ best so wasn't all bad and the drinks were good, just got a bit repetitive on the boardwalk,it was constantly loud no quiet bars to visit,think people need to try other cruise lines to compare different things,as the comedian said in blaze RC are the Walmart of the seas enough said 

Other cruise lines are no different. We cruised RCI, MSC, NCL and Celebrity in 2022. Doing the same Cruise Lines this year. Try others to see and hear the same complaints. 

I can't find a better value than i get on a cruise. Seven days with booze pkg, wifi, balcony, OBC that reduces price, and on some paid gratitues for less than $1,000 per person. 

Go out to a restaurant for 3 meals a day, a motel room for a night, and a couple drinks.

Breakfast > $5/person

Lunch > $10/person

Dinner > $20/person

Motel in Miami >$250/night

Drink >$5/drink

Multiply x 7 = NO COMPLAINS. EXCELLENT!

OPINIONS?

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, Gemrac9693 said:

no RCI is not the Walmart of the seas.  

RCI does a very good job of food for their ships. 

However this past week, on cc, almost every line is suddenly having threads about food.

Seems to be the industry or perhaps folks who were pent up at home during covid got used to their own cooking and now not happy on any ship.  

I always go early in Windjammer, as early as:

breakfast: 6:30AM

lunch: 12pm

dinner: doesn't care, it always empty.

If I were later than the hour above, I would go to MDR or Solarium. I hate full crowd WJ.

Solarium is full ... well, it is popular.

It was full on our sailing in June too. We noticed it and started coming earlier (we are early risers).

The best experience was September 2021 with 2100 guests on board. Of course RCI cannot operate like this forever.

We had decent buffet, but food is very subjective.

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Windjammer food is awesome, plenty of empty tables, even by a window, kudos to the designer of the food stations throughout Windjammer, Solarium is usually empty with seating and beds open everywhere.  Must be a UK problem.

Jeeze. Glad you are happy but obvi, the OP wasn’t. So unnecessary.  

Edited by teddie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, teddie said:

Jeeze. Glad you are happy but obvi, the OP wasn’t. So unnecessary.  

I think it was meant as a joke.  Or perhaps a commentary on a post that is negative negative negative though, when prompted,  OP had many positive experiences.  Personally I give more credence to posts that show the good and the bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gemrac9693 said:

Windjammer food is basic at best, it's a battle to get a table and who designed the food islands and while I'm on it there is not enough seats anywhere and trying to get beds in solarium is hard work 

Was it full in the outside forward area

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Was it full in the outside forward area

Allure the WJ was full everywhere. However the solarium always had seating. Went there for breakfast.

I personally liked WJ food for dinner. That's probably why it was so crowded. It was good food to me. We had the best ribs the last night. Perfectly cooked. Meaty. I like Caribbean night too. Good baked cod 2nd night. Best fish I've had. Its popular lol. Because it's good. 

I was just on Oasis and would agree that some of the food (but not all) was not as good as in past cruises.  In fact our family talked with a couple of other couples during the trip and they all agreed that some of the food was noticeably worse. I thought the prime rib and NY steak in the main dining room was very good but some of the food in Windjammer was not hitting the mark.

What Buffet: Golden Coral, Applebees, your hometown buffet, serves food you can compare to WJ?

Many people complain about Itilian food Specialty Restaurants on a ship. It is just like Olive Garden.

We don't go to any of these.  So, maybe that is why we don't complain. SMH!

2 hours ago, poocher said:

I think it was meant as a joke.  Or perhaps a commentary on a post that is negative negative negative though, when prompted,  OP had many positive experiences.  Personally I give more credence to posts that show the good and the bad.

It was a lighted joke, only took a hour and 17 posts, thanks poocher. 

• Like 1

Awful food on oasis

Wait a week or two or three.........  The bad food will be on another ship once the kitchen crew changes and the Oasis will be great again.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Allure the WJ was full everywhere. However the solarium always had seating. Went there for breakfast.

I personally liked WJ food for dinner. That's probably why it was so crowded. It was good food to me. We had the best ribs the last night. Perfectly cooked. Meaty. I like Caribbean night too. Good baked cod 2nd night. Best fish I've had. Its popular lol. Because it's good. 

Oasis has a large open area forward of the enclosed solarium. It was created when they added cabins over the bridge.

Lots of pit groups and loungers

• Like 2