Using a Passport That Expires 4 Months After Cruise???

doone

Looking for some information and I know how helpful you all are. 

A friend of mine just booked a cruise on HAL departing early March 2023, her passport expires end of July 2023.  She called HAL's documentation line and was told with the itinerary she's on she should be ok with the passport, birth certificate and her Real ID license.  Does anyone have any experience using this type of documentation????

thanks in advance........

Just now, doone said:

A friend of mine just booked a cruise on HAL departing early March 2023, her passport expires end of July 2023.  She called HAL's documentation line and was told with the itinerary she's on she should be ok with the passport, birth certificate and her Real ID license.  Does anyone have any experience using this type of documentation????

If this is the San Diego Hawaii Round Trip or a Caribbean  - it will be OK - post the exact itinerary for better advice.

2 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

If this is the San Diego Hawaii Round Trip or a Caribbean  - it will be OK - post the exact itinerary for better advice.

Thank you -- Its the Caribbean, round trip out of Ft. Lauderdale heading to Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos and Half Moon Cay.

Closed loop to the Caribbean does not even require a passport.....See this info from border protection....so would think a passport that has not expired would be more than fine.  (Also, no ID at all is needed to enter the southern USA border according to news reports).

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name, and date of birth. The Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) allows you to re-enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. The EDL is only accepted at land and sea border crossings, not for air travel. An U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by Department of State, (DOS) and/or Certificate of Naturalizationissued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Here is the link to the entire website:

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-74?language=en_US

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 2

Just now, FlaMariner said:

Closed loop to the Caribbean does not even require a passport.....See this info from border protection:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name, and date of birth. The Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) allows you to re-enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. The EDL is only accepted at land and sea border crossings, not for air travel. An U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by Department of State, (DOS) and/or Certificate of Naturalizationissued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Thank you so much, I really appreciate this information....she should be fine.  

3 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

I recently saw this story and it would make me concerned that what applied months ago may not apply now:

https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/dozens-of-cruise-line-passengers-stranded-at-port-everglades/

I am pretty sure that was a Panama Canal cruise and I also think the some passengers in question were Canadian?      

5 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

I recently saw this story and it would make me concerned that what applied months ago may not apply now:

https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/dozens-of-cruise-line-passengers-stranded-at-port-everglades/

There is a major difference between having no passport and having a passport with less than `6 months remaining.

• Like 3

On 1/23/2023 at 11:46 AM, doone said:

Your friend should make sure she brings the current passport with her.  She should not attempt to renew it at this time as the current passport is voided during the renewal process until the new one is actually issued.  The birth certificate and driver license should be fine for the sea travel, but if something comes up that would require her to fly home that passport is needed to fly back to the U.S.

By the way, what is your friend's nationality?  We are all presuming she is a U.S. citizen.  If not, there may be some issues...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

17 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I am pretty sure that was a Panama Canal cruise and I also think the some passengers in question were Canadian?      

It was, and the cruise also stopped in Columbia as well as Panama.  Passports are needed for those countries.

17 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Seriously doubt any passengers were Canadian. They wouldn’t have even gotten to Florida without a passport, driving or flying.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

It was, and the cruise also stopped in Columbia as well as Panama.  Passports are needed for those countries.

Passports required for Columbia at least, must be good for at least 6 months not expire prior to six months.  That’s similar to many countries’ requirements.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Seriously doubt any passengers were Canadian. They wouldn’t have even gotten to Florida without a passport, driving or flying.

There was a recent story about a Princess cruise where many Canadian passengers were denied passage for some passport/visa snafu.  You can travel to the US without a full passport, you can use a Nexus card

Edited by Mary229

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Passports required for Columbia at least, must be good for at least 6 months not expire prior to six months.  That’s similar to many countries’ requirements.

Are you sure that applies to in transit travel such as a cruise as opposed to entering Columbia in a different way?

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Your friend should make sure she brings the current passport with her.  She should not attempt to renew it at this time as the current passport is voided during the renewal process until the new one is actually issued.  The birth certificate and driver license should be fine for the sea travel, but if something comes up that would require her to fly home that passport is needed to fly back to the U.S.

By the way, what is your friend's nationality?  We are all presuming she is a U.S. citizen.  If not, there may be some issues...

Thank you, great information.  She is bringing her passport with her along with the Real ID and her birth certificate with the raised seal.  Once she gets back from this cruise she will renew then.  Actually she was in the process of renewing but hadn't gotten around to mailing it in, things happen for a reason I guess, LOL......................she is a US Citizen............thanks everyone, great information from you all.

• Like 2