Potable water?

Habs_CatD

2 minutes ago, Habs_CatD said:

If so, where is the best location to fill refillable water bottles?

Your cabin bath sink faucet.

Biker, who is waiting for the bottled water snobs to weigh in.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 8
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Any publicly accessible water faucet is potable.

As are "private" faucets in cabins, showers, and even the toilet bowl.  The only water that is not potable is in the engine room, and the ship's laundry.

I believe that Oasis has water bottle filling stations, but someone else will need to chime in on where.

• Like 3

I fill a paper cup with water from the WJ beverage station (which has a secondary filter system on it) and then into my bottle. 

Water from the tap....um no.  Used to do that until I realized how heavily chlorinated that is and the sink does not have a secondary filter on it.  Last week on Jewel, I turned on the tap in the cabin bathroom which gurgled, spat and produced a stinky brown colored water into the sink. 

Fill the sink with water sometime...check the color and the smell.   Uggh....no thanks.  

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Last week on Jewel, I turned on the tap in the cabin bathroom which gurgled, spat and produced a stinky brown colored water into the sink. 

The ships only chlorinate to about 2ppm, at the injection point in the engine room, and this dissipates as the water travels around the ship, and is required to only have a 0.5ppm residual at the farthest point from injection.  Chlorine in the water will dissipate normally, if you fill a carafe or water bottle, and let it sit open for a couple of hours, taking the taste and smell of chlorine with it.

Typically, discolored water in the sinks is caused when the piping system has been shut down and drained for repairs.  At this point, the calcium scale (they add calcium carbonate, the active ingredient in Tums, to the water to neutralize the acidity) dries up and flakes off the walls of the pipes.  This then settles in the water pipes where there is no movement of water (the branches leading to your cabin bathroom), and collect there.  When you open the water valve, it will be discolored by this scale, for a short period, and then run clear.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

We drink a lot of water and I don't like to drink chlorine (taste) or buy disposable plastic if I can help it, so we brought a pur pitcher along with us so we could always drink from the room taps (and yes, we fly). It really didn't take up much room or weight at all in the luggage because we stuffed it full of clothes which also protected it from breaking. The pur filter creates decent tasting water. We would get ice and put it in the top, then put the sink/shower water over it, so the filtered water was also colder than we could have gotten from the fridge in the room. We didn't have to go out anywhere to find a place to fill our bottles (we have had trouble on cruises before) and didn't have to worry about contaminating the ship's water containers with our reusable bottles or hogging them by using one after the other ship cup, dump in, to fill 4 big reusable bottles. It was a solution that worked out really well for our family. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The ships only chlorinate to about 2ppm, at the injection point in the engine room, and this dissipates as the water travels around the ship, and is required to only have a 0.5ppm residual at the farthest point from injection.  Chlorine in the water will dissipate normally, if you fill a carafe or water bottle, and let it sit open for a couple of hours, taking the taste and smell of chlorine with it.

Typically, discolored water in the sinks is caused when the piping system has been shut down and drained for repairs.  At this point, the calcium scale (they add calcium carbonate, the active ingredient in Tums, to the water to neutralize the acidity) dries up and flakes off the walls of the pipes.  This then settles in the water pipes where there is no movement of water (the branches leading to your cabin bathroom), and collect there.  When you open the water valve, it will be discolored by this scale, for a short period, and then run clear.

Thanks and makes sense.....but I will still stick to the secondary filtered water at the machine after getting too grossed out...too many times.  😛

DH will fill from water from the sink sometime, then has it sit out on the counter all the time.   I picked up his water bottle by mistake last week one night...phew.   Could still smell the chlorine in it.  Happy I did not check the color.  😉 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

We drink a lot of water and I don't like to drink chlorine (taste) or buy disposable plastic if I can help it, so we brought a pur pitcher along with us so we could always drink from the room taps (and yes, we fly). It really didn't take up much room or weight at all in the luggage because we stuffed it full of clothes which also protected it from breaking. The pur filter creates decent tasting water. We would get ice and put it in the top, then put the sink/shower water over it, so the filtered water was also colder than we could have gotten from the fridge in the room. We didn't have to go out anywhere to find a place to fill our bottles (we have had trouble on cruises before) and didn't have to worry about contaminating the ship's water containers with our reusable bottles or hogging them by using one after the other ship cup, dump in, to fill 4 big reusable bottles. It was a solution that worked out really well for our family. 

I fill one single paper cup from the machine and take it with me to fill my bottle in the cabin, usually after a walk on the deck.  Or will grab one of those plastic cups the attendant sets out in the WJ.  

No hogging here.  

36 minutes ago, island lady said:

I fill a paper cup with water from the WJ beverage station (which has a secondary filter system on it) and then into my bottle. 

Water from the tap....um no.  Used to do that until I realized how heavily chlorinated that is and the sink does not have a secondary filter on it.  Last week on Jewel, I turned on the tap in the cabin bathroom which gurgled, spat and produced a stinky brown colored water into the sink. 

Fill the sink with water sometime...check the color and the smell.   Uggh....no thanks.  

Contact your local volunteer fire department or water department and ask them to let you go out with them when they flush fire hydrants........  Hydrants are the very same water system as the water in your home.

Yum.

• Like 2

I drink a lot of water (don’t drink soft drinks) and have been drinking the ship’s water for many years before anyone thought of carrying around/purchasing bottled water. Usually fill my reusable bottle with glasses in the WJ. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gerif said:

I drink a lot of water (don’t drink soft drinks) and have been drinking the ship’s water for many years before anyone thought of carrying around/purchasing bottled water. Usually fill my reusable bottle with glasses in the WJ. 

I've drunk ship's water for 6 months a year for 46 years.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:
1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Any publicly accessible water faucet is potable.

As are "private" faucets in cabins, showers, and even the toilet bowl. 

Hopefully the pools and hot tubs too?

1 hour ago, shellunderwater said:

Contact your local volunteer fire department or water department and ask them to let you go out with them when they flush fire hydrants........  Hydrants are the very same water system as the water in your home.

Yum.

LOL....Yeah, now that would be a strange request.   😉

And the same water as in your toilet....errr....before use.  😄 

10 minutes ago, seaworthy1 said:

I understand you carry a six pack of beer and/or two bottles of wine on board at each port.  How about bottled water?  I am a retread newbie, first time on RCL since 2006.

You can carry them all on for sure, getting it to your stateroom will vary.

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks and makes sense.....but I will still stick to the secondary filtered water at the machine after getting too grossed out...too many times.  😛

DH will fill from water from the sink sometime, then has it sit out on the counter all the time.   I picked up his water bottle by mistake last week one night...phew.   Could still smell the chlorine in it.  Happy I did not check the color.  😉 

I don't have a problem with the ships water.  But, I usually let it run for several minutes before drinking it or putting it in something for consumption elsewhere.  Having said that, I really prefer sparkling water or bottled water.  YMMV

• Like 1