Bringing liquor on board, bring food ashore

kilili

Hi all.

We are booked on a Princess Isles cruise in the summer.  On one of the tours, the vendor wrote there isn't a dedicated meal stop and suggest we might bring food from the ship for lunch.  Is this allowed on princess ships?

On to my second question, will we be allowed beer (think Guiness) on board (I realize it will be confiscated until the end of the trip)?  Also, I read the policy is that beer and liquor will be discarded at the embarkation port.  Is this true of one way journeys?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by kilili

12 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

No, you can't bring food ashore. Agriculture laws. I'm surprised your tour vendor even suggested it. You can bring sealed stuff like granola bars ashore, but not a baggie from the buffet.

All confiscated liquor is disposed of.

Our experience from May, 2022 British Isles and December, 2022 Antarctica cruise liquor will be confiscated and delivered to your stateroom the night before disembarking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

How about bringing food (thinking cheese mostly) from a port onto the ship?  We will be visiting the English Market in Cork and we’d love to bring back some local cheeses to enjoy on board with some wine. Will we be able to do that?

We had no problem bringing food items onboard on a British Isles cruise.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kilili said:

On to my second question, will we be allowed beer (think Guiness) on board (I realize it will be confiscated until the end of the trip)?  Also, I read the policy is that beer and liquor will be discarded at the embarkation port.

They do say that alcohol brought back on board will be held until the last day but our experience has always been that we can get by the check-in desk & bring it to our room without any problem.

We also bring zip lock bags for snacks (cookies, Danish, cereal, etc.)  on shore. Other than in Mexico, we've never had a problem. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kilili said:

Hi all.

We are booked on a Princess Isles cruise in the summer.  On one of the tours, the vendor wrote there isn't a dedicated meal stop and suggest we might bring food from the ship for lunch.  Is this allowed on princess ships?

On to my second question, will we be allowed beer (think Guiness) on board (I realize it will be confiscated until the end of the trip)?  Also, I read the policy is that beer and liquor will be discarded at the embarkation port.  Is this true of one way journeys?

Thank you in advance.

Taking food ashore is down to the regulations of the country you are visiting. In New Zealand you could not take any food off the ship in Norway there was no problem with taking any item off the ship. If you are leaving from the UK technically you should not bring meat or cheese into Europe (Ireland) stops in England, Scotland and Wales no problem.

• Thanks 1

On last years British isles cruise we were disappointed that there was no Limoncello in the MDR. We bought some in Liverpool and they served it to us after dinner in the MDR for the rest of the cruise. No corkage or fee charged. 

In the old days, Princess enforced the prohibition on bringing booze back to the ship.  A few months ago, I bought two bottles of flavored tequila ashore, and brought the two bottles to the ship.  I was willing to surrender them (the bottles are still unopened at home after several months), and get them back when we disembarked but no one asked me to.

As far as bringing food ashore, that is not a silly rule of Princess, but is a law.  It is not just to try to limit fruit fly infestations, but is for other reasons as well.  In Puerto Vallarta, the Mexican authorities had dogs sniffing arriving passengers to find food being smuggled ashore.  I have smuggled cereal boxes ashore when I was taking an all day excursion.  

On 1/24/2023 at 12:47 AM, 1025cruise said:

No, you can't bring food ashore. Agriculture laws. I'm surprised your tour vendor even suggested it. You can bring sealed stuff like granola bars ashore, but not a baggie from the buffet.

All confiscated liquor is disposed of.

This is not completely correct, it all depends where your cruise is. Within in Europe its a non issue 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 7:28 PM, kilili said:

On one of the tours, the vendor wrote there isn't a dedicated meal stop and suggest we might bring food from the ship for lunch.  Is this allowed on princess ships?

we usually bring some snacks with us to the shore (since we travel with a kid and a prediabetic/diabetic): ziplock bags with cookies, challah bread slices, croissants, hard boiled eggs, etc. Prepackaged cereal. Always pay attention to the port laws: some are very strict, some may not allow fruit/veggies, and some don't specify anything. We saw fruit being confiscated at Cozumel.

On 1/23/2023 at 7:28 PM, kilili said:

Princess Isles cruise

Where are these located?

• Haha 1

As for alcohol I haven't had any issues except in Russia, Princess took the Vodka I got for gifts and gave it back the night before we docked.

Food my husband is diabetic and I carry snacks, but generally not from the ship but packaged items I always carry. Never tried to take any fruit, did think about an apple once but hubby reminded me of France. Entitled gentleman, solo on our tour ticked off our bus driver from the start taking the handicap seat up front, because he wanted that seat. When he took out a pear and started eating it the driver stopped the bus, got up handed him a bag and told him it was against the law, he wrapped it up and tossed it out. The rude traveler was nasty to everybody so I clapped when this happened, sorry really couldn't control myself :). So I would say no fruit or meat, always check you port info.

Bringing food on I think depends or the port. They told me to toss a bag of awesome cherries in Vancouver I go at the market. Went to the waiting area ate a few more then tossed the last of them. I was done anyway. 

• Like 1