Question on Viking Ocean Staterooms

neecerz69

First time cruiser. I've been watching tons of youtube on things to bring, etc. One of the suggestions was to bring magnetic hooks and magnetic clips to use in the room for places to add notes, etc. 

However, when I've looked at pix and video, I really can't tell if there is actually any place to actually put these magnets. Won't make sense to bring them if I can't hang things up. Anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 4:43 PM, neecerz69 said:

First time cruiser. I've been watching tons of youtube on things to bring, etc. One of the suggestions was to bring magnetic hooks and magnetic clips to use in the room for places to add notes, etc. 

However, when I've looked at pix and video, I really can't tell if there is actually any place to actually put these magnets. Won't make sense to bring them if I can't hang things up. Anyone know?

Howdy @neecerz69 and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards!

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Viking Ocean forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed the line frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various forums. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. Welcome again, and we are glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

On 1/25/2023 at 5:43 PM, neecerz69 said:

Welcome to Viking!  If you haven’t discovered it yet, the thread below has lots of information and advice on making the most of your Viking cruise. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Magnets don't work in the bathroom.  I bring suction cups with hooks that work great on the mirrors and glass of the shower enclosure. Great for drying hand laundry and bathing suits. 

We use the hooks for hanging hangers for air dry clothing since none of our shirts get dried in the dryer.  The wall beside the bed holds 5 shirts, and we have 4 more shirts hanging up on hooks around the cabin (I just did laundry today).

13 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

We use the hooks for hanging hangers for air dry clothing since none of our shirts get dried in the dryer.  The wall beside the bed holds 5 shirts, and we have 4 more shirts hanging up on hooks around the cabin (I just did laundry today).

Do none of your shirts get dried in the dryer by your choice or is there an issue with the dryers?

Edited by Clay Clayton

16 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Magnets don't work in the bathroom.  I bring suction cups with hooks that work great on the mirrors and glass of the shower enclosure. Great for drying hand laundry and bathing suits. 

Does Viking usually have one of those retractable clothes lines in the shower?

1 hour ago, millybess said:

Yes, but I find that you can't hang a lot on it because everything ends up together in the middle.  

That is why I bring suction hooks and metal skirt hangers -- which don't get in the way when I want to use the shower (because they aren't in the shower).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We’ve found the  quickest way to get anything dry is to lay the clothes on the floor and turn the heat all the way up!😂

LOL.  Aren't your clothes dirty again after you have walked all over them trying to get to the balcony before you melt from the heat????

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

LOL.  Aren't your clothes dirty again after you have walked all over them trying to get to the balcony before you melt from the heat????

No, we are usually V or DVs so don’t go through our bathroom to get to the balcony. And truthfully we have really only done this to speed dry bathing suits so we could pack them. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We’ve found the  quickest way to get anything dry is to lay the clothes on the floor and turn the heat all the way up!😂

On World Cruises you mostly follow the sun so just wearing them wet is not uncomfortable.  Most folks don't even notice.....🍹🍸

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

No, we are usually V or DVs so don’t go through our bathroom to get to the balcony. And truthfully we have really only done this to speed dry bathing suits so we could pack them. 

We used the swimsuit spinner in the locker rooms.  Worked well, then a quick toss in the launderette dryer to completely dry them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, formernuke said:

Anyone tried the bathing suit spin dryers in the thermal spa changing rooms? They seem to get things pretty dry if what you have is small ( and are willing to do one at a time)!

Yes, they get them wrong out so that the heated floors dry them quickly😂

• Like 1

I can't speak for the Viking clothes lines in the shower, but what may not be common knowledge is that once the line is extended, twisting the knob like thing on the end housing the line clockwise will lock it in place to prevent the sag and items "sinking" to the middle.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, ropomo said:

I can't speak for the Viking clothes lines in the shower, but what may not be common knowledge is that once the line is extended, twisting the knob like thing on the end housing the line clockwise will lock it in place to prevent the sag and items "sinking" to the middle.

Thanks so much for this.  I will try it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Do none of your shirts get dried in the dryer by your choice or is there an issue with the dryers?

Our choice.  No problem with the dryers, just that by keeping the shirts out of the dryers, they don’t shrink in length.  

• Like 2