Disappointment in Princess customer service

AJMissal

14 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

But here in is the problem is that we did not ask for an upgrade and hence, why we’re pissed.  We specifically indicated “no upgrade”.  

Once you get the facts straight, I hope you now get it

Pizzasteve has made a very important point here:

if I book cabin c743, and I mark no upgrade. The passengers made a disgusting mess of that cabin the cruise before mine- what should the cruise line do?

- not let me board?

-offer me another cabin?They should atleast GIVE you a reason for not fulfilling your expectations.

Right?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

But here in is the problem is that we did not ask for an upgrade and hence, why we’re pissed.  We specifically indicated “no upgrade”.  

Disappointed I can understand; angry, not so much.

Take a few moments to read your cruise contract.  Then, perhaps all of us will "get it".

Best,

Mary

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Disappointed I can understand; angry, not so much.

Take a few moments to read your cruise contract.  Then, perhaps all of us will "get it".

Best,

Mary

Edited by DHP1

On 1/29/2023 at 7:23 AM, Cruise till you drop said:

All I said was there can be legitimate reasons a room becomes unavailable.  You have the right to be pissed if you booked a room and didnt get it.  That said, it is ultimately healthy to let it go as bad luck and move on.

So lets say the toilet was clogged and needed portside work to repair.  You wanted your room without a working toilet?  Lets say someone isolated with norovirus was in that room the day before.  You still want that room?

Anyway, that was my only point.  Best wishes for your future cruises.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

All I said was there can be legitimate reasons a room becomes unavailable.  You have the right to be pissed if you booked a room and didnt get it.  That said, it is ultimately healthy to let it go as bad luck and move on.

So lets say the toilet was clogged and needed portside work to repair.  You wanted your room without a working toilet?  Lets say someone isolated with norovirus was in that room the day before.  You still want that room?

Anyway, that was my only point.  Best wishes for your future cruises.

If there had been noro in the room that room would have been thoroughly cleaned by a Hazmat team. If the toilet doesn’t work it can be fixed but most are multiple cabin issues caused by people putting things down them the shouldn’t 

5 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

So let’s say the toilet was clogged and needed portside work to repair.  You wanted your room without a working toilet?  Let’s say someone isolated with norovirus was in that room the day before.  You still want that room?

I wish you hadn’t have gone there.  Now I’m stuck with this visual image.  Thanks a lot 

On 1/31/2023 at 8:57 AM, memoak said:

If there had been noro in the room that room would have been thoroughly cleaned by a Hazmat team. If the toilet doesn’t work it can be fixed but most are multiple cabin issues caused by people putting things down them the shouldn’t 

I only brought these up as real issues I have read forcing room changes on these boards.  Sorry if they don’t meet your standards.

Edited by Pizzasteve

On 1/29/2023 at 9:23 AM, Cruise till you drop said:

Changing your cabin to another in the same category is not an upgrade, so Princess did follow your desire to not be upgraded.

But the real problem is that your cabin was changed and you did not know that happened and you are rightfully upset.

When Princess makes a cabin change, they normally do send a notice to the passenger or, if the booking was with a travel agent, to the TA who is supposed to pass it on to the passenger.

So, if Princess did send a notice, some of the possibilities:

a) If sent to the passenger, may have ended up in spam somewhere.

b) If sent to the TA, the TA may not have passed the information on to the passenger.

c) If sent to a TA, the message from the TA may have ended up in spam somewhere.

If your booking had been with a TA, you should ask the TA why you were not notified of the change.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

b) If sent to the TA, the TA may not have passed the information on to the passenger.

c) If sent to a TA, the message from the TA may have ended up in spam somewhere.

They did not

5 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

I only brought these up as real issues I have read forcing room changes on these boards.  Sorry if they don’t meet your standards.

Are they real issues is you’ve only read about them and not experienced them first hand?

Don’t believe everything you read is fact

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Changing your cabin to another in the same category is not an upgrade, so Princess did follow your desire to not be upgraded.

But the real problem is that your cabin was changed and you did not know that happened and you are rightfully upset.

When Princess makes a cabin change, they normally do send a notice to the passenger or, if the booking was with a travel agent, to the TA who is supposed to pass it on to the passenger.

If your booking had been with a TA, you should ask the TA why you were not notified of the change.

When our cabin was changed and I did not find out until I saw it on the personalizer, our TA said he never got an e-mail while Princess said they sent one. Assuming both are correct, another possibility is that it was sent but then lost in cyberspace.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

When our cabin was changed and I did not find out until I saw it on the personalizer, our TA said he never got an e-mail while Princess said they sent one. Assuming both are correct, another possibility is that it was sent but then lost in cyberspace.

Same with us.  Our TA was surprised.  They never have problems getting all the other emails from PCL.

I don’t think there are emails all the time on these changes.  It’s programatic, and we know how that goes. 😳

17 hours ago, ontheweb said:

When our cabin was changed and I did not find out until I saw it on the personalizer,........

And that is why many people regularly check the Personalize to be sure there were no unexpected changes.

Just like many people check flight reservations to make sure there were no unexpected changes there.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, caribill said:

And that is why many people regularly check the Personalize to be sure there were no unexpected changes.

Just like many people check flight reservations to make sure there were no unexpected changes there.

And they did not need any Medallion to do that!

I have called Princess customer service a few times to purchase excursions, price changes, inquire about military obc and purchase items for our upcoming May cruise without issue. Today I called to use the gift card, I received from using the Barclay Princess credit card rewards. I wanted to use the gift card to apply obc. The representative immediately stated she could not use the gift card for obc. I said how do you know you haven't tried. She then "tried" and stated again she "the system won't let" her. I asked to speak to her supervisor. She informed me the supervisor was on a long call and couldn't speak to me. I stated I would wait. She said I couldn't wait that long because it would be a very "long" call. I asked to speak to anyone else anyone. She said she would transfer me. Not surprisingly the call was dropped. I spent an hour waiting for her. I will call back another day, fingers crossed she will not be working.

15 minutes ago, mygirlsemandsam said:

I have called Princess customer service a few times to purchase excursions, price changes, inquire about military obc and purchase items for our upcoming May cruise without issue. Today I called to use the gift card, I received from using the Barclay Princess credit card rewards. I wanted to use the gift card to apply obc. The representative immediately stated she could not use the gift card for obc. I said how do you know you haven't tried. She then "tried" and stated again she "the system won't let" her. I asked to speak to her supervisor. She informed me the supervisor was on a long call and couldn't speak to me. I stated I would wait. She said I couldn't wait that long because it would be a very "long" call. I asked to speak to anyone else anyone. She said she would transfer me. Not surprisingly the call was dropped. I spent an hour waiting for her. I will call back another day, fingers crossed she will not be working.

Worst case, take the gift card onboard and have guest services apply it 😃

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mygirlsemandsam said:

There needs to be an investigation or maybe a class action suit on this scam.  We had the exact thing happen on our Sky cruise a few weeks ago.

I told the guest services that the card I had was issued by their own company.

My guess is that because it’s only like $100, most people will not pursue any action.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

There needs to be an investigation or maybe a class action suit on this scam.  We had the exact thing happen on our Sky cruise a few weeks ago.

My guess is that because it’s only like $100, most people will not pursue any action.  

Again, you take it onboard, and guest services applies it; no scam, maybe a training issue for reps who don't know how to apply it. They work fine.

Edited by jwattle
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Since you can only use OBC pre cruise for excursions what is the big deal with waiting till you are on board   Like having extra money for whatever you want

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Since you can only use OBC pre cruise for excursions what is the big deal with waiting till you are on board   Like having extra money for whatever you want

Agree.  There is even a popular Reddit thread dedicated to quotes from this web site’s boards with pictures of all the complaints, making fun of ‘all the entitled Karens complaining about absolutely small problems.

A class action suit seems like a big hammer for someone’s credit card reward coupon requiring a process that doesn’t fit someone’s exact desire about how to apply it (eg over the phone).  

I will try to help educate a bit about the ‘perhaps why’ it may not be ‘simple’, as most people haven’t had to design systems that manage what is effectively electronic money.  

Most of these reward cards are run by banks, so the money has to get from the bank to the ship, then from the ship to Princess corporate.  Like a credit card charge, there are lots of criminals looking to scam systems to steal money.  Unlike a credit card, coupons have much less anti fraud features built into them and this is why early reward coupons were often stolen, because they would have a simple number, easily copied or misapplied with one typo.  It is not easy to check the name  matching, etc.  

So a phone operator applying your coupon has lots of risks.  You might mistake on the number, they might mistake in the number, they might apply to the wrong account.  Untangling this after the payment posts is a nightmare.  Preventing misuse and fraud is a nightmare.

So most likely they want a physical person to apply the credit to verify your identity and make certain the proper payment is applied and to prevent a man in the middle type scam where a phone operator could tell the code to a friend and they get your credit first and the money is missing.  

It’s more complex than this, but trying to keep it simple. Maybe some phone staff can apply coupons, but if they can’t this is likely why.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jwattle said:

Again, you take it onboard, and guest services applies it; no scam, maybe a training issue for reps who don't know how to apply it. They work fine.

Maybe you missed what I was trying to say but I was onboard and visiting guest services when I tried to apply my Carnival $100 card and they said they were unable to make it work.  And that’s where it ended for them.  And it was a Carnival card

I still say scam

Edited by Cruise till you drop

51 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

Agree.  There is even a popular Reddit thread dedicated to quotes from this web site’s boards with pictures of all the complaints, making fun of ‘all the entitled Karens complaining about absolutely small problems.

A class action suit seems like a big hammer for someone’s credit card reward coupon requiring a process that doesn’t fit someone’s exact desire about how to apply it (eg over the phone).  

I will try to help educate a bit about the ‘perhaps why’ it may not be ‘simple’, as most people haven’t had to design systems that manage what is effectively electronic money.  

Most of these reward cards are run by banks, so the money has to get from the bank to the ship, then from the ship to Princess corporate.  Like a credit card charge, there are lots of criminals looking to scam systems to steal money.  Unlike a credit card, coupons have much less anti fraud features built into them and this is why early reward coupons were often stolen, because they would have a simple number, easily copied or misapplied with one typo.  It is not easy to check the name  matching, etc.  

So a phone operator applying your coupon has lots of risks.  You might mistake on the number, they might mistake in the number, they might apply to the wrong account.  Untangling this after the payment posts is a nightmare.  Preventing misuse and fraud is a nightmare.

So most likely they want a physical person to apply the credit to verify your identity and make certain the proper payment is applied and to prevent a man in the middle type scam where a phone operator could tell the code to a friend and they get your credit first and the money is missing.  

It’s more complex than this, but trying to keep it simple. Maybe some phone staff can apply coupons, but if they can’t this is likely why.

I think it’s much simpler than that.  It’s a scam.  Especially if it’s a Carnival issued card and they say they cant process it onboard 

Edited by Cruise till you drop

1 hour ago, Pizzasteve said:

Yes there is and I must admit I’ve had a few good laughs from there