What Online Proctored Tests Are You Using These Days?

Rick&Jeannie

I know there is a sticky thread at the top of the forum that refers to "Anything Covid Related" or similar...but that thread has been there for over a year and the environment has changed drastically for *most* of us wanting to cruise.  However...some of us are still needing to test for certain cruises (the so-called "enhanced" sailings) and could probably benefit from "fresh" info regarding online "proctored" Covid tests.

@Host CJSKIDS...Please do not merge this with the sticky thread...at least for awhile.  I think we can all benefit from first-hand reports of what services have worked well in this regard.

Have you recently (within the past year *MAX*) used a good proctoring service that you can recommend?  Please post a link to that service's webpage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I know there is a sticky thread at the top of the forum that refers to "Anything Covid Related" or similar...but that thread has been there for over a year and the environment has changed drastically for *most* of us wanting to cruise.  However...some of us are still needing to test for certain cruises (the so-called "enhanced" sailings) and could probably benefit from "fresh" info regarding online "proctored" Covid tests.

@Host CJSKIDS...Please do not merge this with the sticky thread...at least for awhile.  I think we can all benefit from first-hand reports of what services have worked well in this regard.

Have you recently (within the past year *MAX*) used a good proctoring service that you can recommend?  Please post a link to that service's webpage.

Emed is very efficient, professional and easy to do. Results in minutes by email and a QR code.

2 pack

https://store.emed.com/s/product/2pack-covid19-telehealth-kit/01t8c00000PlYLZAA3

or a 2 pack or 3 pack

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-emed-at-home-test-kit-3-pack/

• Like 3

We used the Emed/Binax Now test from the comfort of our own home last spring and it was easy and quick.  Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services for Travel - 2 Pack | Optum Store

Or if you want to use one of the at-home tests you already have, here are some options for proctored sessions to use with your own test:

Test Observation (azova.com)

Virtual COVID-19 Testing | MyLabsDirect

Virtual Covid Test Result Verification by Total Testing Solutions

I haven't tried any besides the Emed option, but if I need proctored results for my cruise in March, I plan to do Azova with my own test.  Right now it's looking like we can just take a photo of a self-administered test and upload it into the app, but in case something changes...

Edited by pompeii
  • Like 2

I remember buying those tests in the 6 pack because their 3 pack was 1 penny under free shipping.  And I knew we'd use them. Used every last one!  

So if we go on an enhanced cruise, I'll use our home tests and pay to have it observed.   

19 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Emed is very efficient, professional and easy to do. Results in minutes by email and a QR code.

17 minutes ago, pompeii said:

We used the Emed/Binax Now test from the comfort of our own home last spring and it was easy and quick.  

Ditto.  I used them four times in the past year and they've always been as advertised.

In fact, I bought another two tests (from Optum) because I need to test for a charter that I'll be on (not on Princess).  I'm not sure when or if I'll need the other one, but it'll be nice to have in case something bad happens.

I have used the BinaxNow AG home proctored test while at a hotel before a cruise.  Very easy to use.

First batch of 3 were "free" through insurance.  Don't know why they only rebated a small portion on my second batch.  No matter, very handy and you are paying for the re-assurance.  I have one box that is about to expire.  Can't find anywhere regarding an extension on the extension.  

Purchased from Optum.  

I am so confused by current enhanced rules and covid tests.  But I will comment on the other thread.  What is the purpose of "self-attested"?  Not taking any chances with $$ invested in cruise.  Will use BinaxNow, since I have them.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have used the BinaxNow AG home proctored test while at a hotel before a cruise.  Very easy to use.

First batch of 3 were "free" through insurance.  Don't know why they only rebated a small portion on my second batch.  No matter, very handy and you are paying for the re-assurance.  I have one box that is about to expire.  Can't find anywhere regarding an extension on the extension.  

Purchased from Optum.  

I am so confused by current enhanced rules and covid tests.  But I will comment on the other thread.  What is the purpose of "self-attested"?  Not taking any chances with $$ invested in cruise.  Will use BinaxNow, since I have them.

Every cruise can have different rules   You always need to check the voyage in the online health tool

19 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Purchased from Optum.  

I guess "self attested" is in line with the rest of the health questions. You don't have to have proof you haven't been sick or had a fever.

3 minutes ago, Jemnibabe said:

And when 2 people on the same cruise get different responses?????????

The retired IT part of me has trouble understanding how the Cruise Tool can give different responses if people are plugging in the same cruise info...

• Haha 1

We bought the 6 pack of Binax and still have 2 left. The expiration dates on the box were 01/02/23. I checked FDA website and couldn't find our tests as some have been given extensions. Called Binax and rep sent me same FDA website. Got a survey from Binax a few minutes later and told them I'd wasted my time. They sent me 2 new Covid/Flu tests. I just found the Binax site and my tests have been extended to 04-14-23.

Worked great when we used them the first time. We'll probably do a free CVS test and if we don't get results in time have the Binax as back-up.

@YehootuCare to "share" the Binax site that extends the tests?  I have one that will expire in February and would be nice if I could get one more month out of it.  

My one test (I have 3 others that expire in May) that has already been extended once.  FDA says they are working constantly at renewing/extended first batch of tests.  

I wrote to Binax. They did not offer me any free tests....Lucky you.

1 hour ago, Yehootu said:

We bought the 6 pack of Binax and still have 2 left. The expiration dates on the box were 01/02/23. I checked FDA website and couldn't find our tests as some have been given extensions. Called Binax and rep sent me same FDA website. Got a survey from Binax a few minutes later and told them I'd wasted my time. They sent me 2 new Covid/Flu tests. I just found the Binax site and my tests have been extended to 04-14-23.

Worked great when we used them the first time. We'll probably do a free CVS test and if we don't get results in time have the Binax as back-up.

I wonder if the proctors have the relevant expiration dates.  

7 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Ahhh.... Thanks for the link. I should have looked myself. I was just surprised that there are still testing requirements when we don't have any listed for Australia/New Zealand. I see that they are still requiring testing for the cruises that are coming up soon. Ours aren't until October/November and aren't (at this time anyway) listed as needing tests. I guess time will tell.

Edit: We ported at Cartagena Colombia in December and were mildly surprised they didn't require testing.

Edited by Thrak

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@YehootuCare to "share" the Binax site that extends the tests?  I have one that will expire in February and would be nice if I could get one more month out of it.  

My one test (I have 3 others that expire in May) that has already been extended once.  FDA says they are working constantly at renewing/extended first batch of tests.  

The Binax site doesn't actually extend the date, it just gives you the current expiration date.  You can look up your lot number here BinaxNOW Lot number (abbott.com)     

Or here is a link to the FDA's list.

At-Home OTC COVID-19 Diagnostic Tests | FDA 

The list is a little way down in the linked article and it covers many different tests, not just Binax.

I have a couple that just expired and I was hoping that they'd been extended again, but no luck.  I believe the current period for Binax tests is 15 months.

Edited by pompeii
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

From a Canadian standpoint.   

We have used a service called Switch Health for proctored tests (google Switch Health Areoplan for discounted test kits).  It was accepted at all points for travel south, and then for travel back home.  We got the appropriate tests ordered and delivered in less than a week, and carried the return tests with us, doing them on the ship (last morning of the cruise in port).   All that was needed was a cellphone with video capability.

We also have free tests from our pharmacy (not good for proctored tests) and we brought those along just to check to see if we were nervous.

2 hours ago, Valiamo said:

From a Canadian standpoint.   

We have used a service called Switch Health for proctored tests (google Switch Health Areoplan for discounted test kits).  It was accepted at all points for travel south, and then for travel back home.  We got the appropriate tests ordered and delivered in less than a week, and carried the return tests with us, doing them on the ship (last morning of the cruise in port).   All that was needed was a cellphone with video capability.

We also have free tests from our pharmacy (not good for proctored tests) and we brought those along just to check to see if we were nervous.

We had no problem using the free tests with Lifecenters in fact the pharmacies ran out of the first ones and we used the Artron ones after that.  Thankful though for our upcoming cruises no testing!

16 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Here's the website I used:

https://binaxnowlookup.abbott.com

This is the FDA PDF https://www.fda.gov/media/158003/download