Boarding Passes

doone

1 hour ago, doone said:

Does anyone print their boarding passes anymore?  I print them every cruise and never have been asked to show them…what is actually required at check in?

I do and have been asked for them on most cruises this past year.

I print mine every cruise.  It is easier than standing in line searching on your phone looking for it and holding the line up behind you.  I get frustrated when the person in front of me has been standing there for 5 minutes trying to find their copies.  I am thinking why not move aside and let me go as my paperwork is in my hands,  Sorry for the rant.

• Like 8

Earlier this month I cruised on the NA from FLL. At check in they had problems scanning electronic bar codes at the pier. They had to print each passenger's boarding pass bar code to get onboard. They had 2 lines, one for folks with electronic passes, which moved slowly as they printed each barcode, and a second fast line for passengers like me, who had a paper copy. Paper and electronic boarding pass, belt and suspenders redundancy.

• Like 1

We do not print the boarding passes but we do have them on our phone and in November we had to show them (on our phone) when boarding the ship at embarkation.

At the gangway during embarkation, they scan the bar code on the boarding pass so that you can board for the first time.  And the room key was waiting at the room. 

• Like 1

I have never been able to enter the terminal or shuttle area without showing my boarding pass.  We now get the slip from the facial recognition machines to use for boarding.  One time it didn’t work so they scanned from my boarding pass.  They no longer give you your room key at check-in so the barcode on the boarding pass/facial recognition receipt is scanned instead.  So, yes, you require a boarding pass.  Try getting on a flight without one!  😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I do and have been asked for them on most cruises this past year.

You've actually been asked for printed copies when electronic copies, and Navigator versions are readily available (and encouraged by HAL)?

7 hours ago, shippmates said:

I print mine every cruise.  It is easier than standing in line searching on your phone looking for it and holding the line up behind you.  I get frustrated when the person in front of me has been standing there for 5 minutes trying to find their copies.  I am thinking why not move aside and let me go as my paperwork is in my hands,  Sorry for the rant.

If you have your electronic copy (Navigator or otherwise) already up and ready on your phone PRIOR to when you need to show it there is no searching and holding up the line... it's right there.

I've been behind people that are fumbling around searching for their printed copies as well, so it works both ways.

It's just a matter of being being ready to go when it's your turn, that's all..

• Like 3

On Dec Rotterdam, the check-in boarding monitors wanted to see my printed boarding pass before I was allowed to board with other 4/5* Mariners.  My printed boarding pass barcode did not work for ship Security scanning but phone boarding pass did. 

I learned to be prepared for both paper or phone.  YMMV

• Like 4

Thanks, I appreciate everyone’s experience.  I have always printed my boarding pass but, unlike airline boarding passes where you show the actual boarding pass and are scanned in, I show my passport to the HAL agent and I don’t recall ever showing my boarding pass.  Now I haven’t sailed post covid, so maybe that’s the difference…..and perhaps I am not recalling correctly also, we shall see,  I will print it, upload to Navigator app and see what happens.  Thanks again!!!

Edited by doone

13 minutes ago, doone said:

Thanks, I appreciate everyone’s experience.  I have always printed my boarding pass but, unlike airline boarding passes where you show the actual boarding pass and are scanned in, I show my passport to the HAL agent and I don’t recall ever showing my boarding pass.  Now I haven’t sailed post covid, so maybe that’s the difference…..and perhaps I am not recalling correctly also, we shall see,  I will print it, upload to Navigator app and see what happens.  Thanks again!!!

There is the new system at some airports where your identity is linked to all of your fares.  Last time at the airport all I showed was my driver’s license.  Perhaps that now applies  to marine passengers too?

• Like 1

At Ft Lauderdale in December the paper boarding passes from home were useless - the readers couldn’t read them, not ours, not anybody’s. HAL knew it was a problem and prepared with a printer station there printing them out inside the terminal for anyone who didn’t have an electronic version to show on a smartphone (which was the faster way that day). 

As I recall, I could be wrong, no one asked for a boarding pass to get into the terminal. If that’s really true, I see that as a security failing. 

It does help to have the app opened to the boarding pass before being inside the terminal as the cell signal is weak inside. 

Although paper isn’t always foolproof, and neither is the app,  it helps to have both, IMO.  We will do our best to have both paper and app at the ready in Ft Lauderdale Feb 25 boarding Rotterdam!  m— 

• Like 2

We sailed on Niew Statendam out of FLL January 7th.  At embarkation there was a long line of people with paper boarding passes that was hardly moving at all.  One employee was off to the side, letting people know that if they had passes on the app or otherwise on their phones that they could go on through.  We bypasses the line with the printed passes and boarded in no time at all.

• Like 2

Ok, I guess I’ll be the dumb one. We are booked for 21 days on the Rotterdam commercial 2/15. Booked through an online TA and paid in full. I will have a paper confirmation with me at boarding time. Other than our passports, I do recall ever having to show anything else to board. FWIW, if anything we are 4 star. 

7 minutes ago, jimmy2x said:

Ok, I guess I’ll be the dumb one. We are booked for 21 days on the Rotterdam commercial 2/15. Booked through an online TA and paid in full. I will have a paper confirmation with me at boarding time. Other than our passports, I do recall ever having to show anything else to board. FWIW, if anything we are 4 star. 

Have you downloaded the Navigator app. if not, it is definitely recommended. Your electronic boarding passes will be on there, as well as other useful tools for your cruise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I take a screenshot of the Navigator app boarding pass just in case the app gives me grief at just the wrong time - checking in!

Excuse what might be a dumb question. I have done all the Navigator App stuff and have my boarding pass showing on the App. I'll take your advice and do a screenshot but if I didn't, do you need Wi-Fi for the App to work. I have found that accessing Wi-Fi at airports in the past can be a pain and you often have to go through a registration process etc. If I had time, not so much a problem but when you walk into a cruise terminal with eyes generally for what queue to head for, the last thing I want to be doing is setting up a Wi-Fi account. Of course, I am referring to using the App outside of your own country where many phone providers don't provide global access. Specifically, I am in Australia and leaving on a cruise from Singapore later in the week.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

At Ft Lauderdale in December the paper boarding passes from home were useless - the readers couldn’t read them, not ours, not anybody’s. HAL knew it was a problem and prepared with a printer station there printing them out inside the terminal for anyone who didn’t have an electronic version to show on a smartphone (which was the faster way that day). 

As I recall, I could be wrong, no one asked for a boarding pass to get into the terminal. If that’s really true, I see that as a security failing. 

It does help to have the app opened to the boarding pass before being inside the terminal as the cell signal is weak inside. 

Although paper isn’t always foolproof, and neither is the app,  it helps to have both, IMO.  We will do our best to have both paper and app at the ready in Ft Lauderdale Feb 25 boarding Rotterdam!  m— 

20 hours ago, Dallas Glenn said:

We sailed on Niew Statendam out of FLL January 7th.  At embarkation there was a long line of people with paper boarding passes that was hardly moving at all.  One employee was off to the side, letting people know that if they had passes on the app or otherwise on their phones that they could go on through.  We bypasses the line with the printed passes and boarded in no time at all.

When I sailed out of FLL earlier this month, I had a paper boarding pass and they did ask to see boarding passes at the door. I don't recall any separation of paper/navigator passes. When I got to the little kiosk, there was a problem with my documents. I don't know if the scanner didn't like my passport or my boarding pass, or maybe it was having printing problems, but they sent me to a regular check-in desk and the guy there printed out a paper boarding pass, a little bigger than a typical store check-out receipt. Everyone seemed to be using the little paper pass to board the ship. Later, I looked at the two paper versions, and the bar codes looked the same to me. 

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

When I sailed out of FLL earlier this month, I had a paper boarding pass and they did ask to see boarding passes at the door. I don't recall any separation of paper/navigator passes

I am guessing that they are referring to VeriFLY which gets access to a separate, but not necessarily shorter, line.  If that is not the case then it may be the terminal agent’s error.

Just now, *Miss G* said:

I am guessing that they are referring to VeriFLY which gets access to a separate, but not necessarily shorter, line.  If that is not the case then it may be the terminal agent’s error.

It probably was verifly. I saw no point in doing it since my cruise didn't require a test or proof of vaccination. After dealing with ArriveCAN several times earlier this year, I didn't want to bother with an app that wasn't necessary.

Even so, my check-in was easy. When I got to the pier around 11:15, the lower seating was full of early birds (they were giving out boarding number 19 at that point), but I get priority boarding, so I went upstairs just after they got the assisted passengers onboard and were calling suites and mariners. 

Less than a half hour from stepping out of the taxi to stepping up to the Seaview bar for a drink while I waited for cabins to be available. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Less than a half hour from stepping out of the taxi to stepping up to the Seaview bar for a drink while I waited for cabins to be available. 

Wow that's amazing time, and I find it interesting that cabins were not available when you boarded; which is very rare for HAL.

They pride themselves on having cabins available when passengers begin the boarding process.