Prima / Live / Solo / Feb - 5-12 - 2023...

sid_9169

I found a tree to hang my beach bag from, and also put my beach shoes up somewhere away from the sand and whatever else. I had about a thousand dollars in there, but nobody messes with your stuff here, and I could see my bag from in the water. I went in for a nice swim, and stayed out there a good while. I've been waiting a good bit for this, and since I don't swim in the pool on board, my only chance to really "get away"... I thought about a lot of things. Stuff back home that's not really too great right now... Where I've been, where I'm going, and whatnot. I just wanted to relax and let the entire World slip away into the void... I should be at work right now, but I'm out here enjoying this magnificent clear water, and I just didn't want this moment to slip away... 

After awhile, I was starting to prune, so I knew that I would have to get out and get on with my day. I dried off with my ship towel and made my way down the beach towards the ship. The sand here is thick, and it's an effort to make every single step. I walked and walked until I started to get the feeling that my lily white feet could get badly sunburned. I cut through back to the main road, but the rocks and asphalt were beginning to wear on me. I didn't want to put my beach shoes back on due to the clumps of sand sticking to my feet. 

I went outside of one of the resorts and sat down on the sidewalk to try and get all the sand off, but it was a waste of time. I had my bottle of water that I brought from the ship, so my last ditch effort was to pour out my precious water on my feet just to get rid of the dang sand... Finally, I was able to put my beach shoes back on, and I continued South down the main road. I knew roughly where I was going, and it's hard to get lost, as I knew exactly where the beach was. I was walking down a four lane divided highway at one point, and I knew that I was getting close to the seven mile public beach. 

When I got there, I walked the busy parking lot and made my way down to the beach. I didn't want to risk getting sand on my feet again as I'd already wasted my last water washing them off. I just took a few pictures of the chickens running around and then made my way back to the main road...

• Like 23

@sid_9169..while it has been several years since we cruise to GC we've been to that beach it is definitely lovely!

We once upon a time did the sting ray city tour, fun time, and after that since we are water people we would snorkel right from shore.  When you tender in walk to the right and there is a dive shop with a ladder leading into the water.  They have lockers etc.  Many folks scuba dive right from there, we snorkel.

You are correct GC is home to many many banks and "off shore" accounts and some shall we say questionable bank accounts.

So glad you had a relaxing day.....got some "Sid" time in while contemplating your life while enjoying the beautiful clear water in GC!

You have got to be happy with yourself on this cruise you are definitely rockin it and hitting a homerun with the review.  Have a great evening!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, sid_9169 said:

Next, I walked around the block to a cigar shop that I was hoping would have a box of something nice to bring home. Unfortunately their stock was incredibly low, and I wasn't about to waste my time with a couple of sticks when I really wanted a box of something good. Not their fault, but "supply chain issues" that we've all been experiencing lately... I just moved on soon afterwards towards the bus terminal in town. By the way, there are a LOT of banks in GC... My bus driver said there was over a hundred, and most of them don't just allow any Tom Dick or Harry to walk in...PXL_20230208_165446826.thumb.jpg.2e80704c63d2a2a8779817a7934e2aa1.jpg

PXL_20230208_165235932.thumb.jpg.7cc6769100509aad484adbfab33a6d54.jpg

PXL_20230208_165204206.jpg

You are definitely not a Tom, Dick, or Harry. So the question is whether they would allow a Sid in.

• Like 2

Beautiful pictures of the beach Sid.  I know that feeling of just floating and thinking about life.  I hope you felt at peace (even just for a little while)

As far as the banks, if I said what I really thought I would be banned from CC.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, RenoNanaOz said:

I think the water in GC is the best! It's so clear and soft, like it's hugging you 😉 

This beach reminds me of beaches on Grand Bahama, not the ones near  the hotels or condos. There are no amenities but they do have soft sand, gorgeous aqua water and peace and quiet.

Edited by DeanDeeDee
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Well, I'm back from my adventure in GC, and I accomplished pretty much everything I wanted to do, albeit with a few minor hiccups... Roti at Sing's, check. Swimming in the ocean, check. Cuban cigars, check... I'm about to get in the shower again, and then I'll try and get caught up... See ya soon...

My husband loves Old Havana... what cigars did you wind up getting?  We're living vicariously through your adventures.  😉

Just saw your later post that the pickings were slim.

Edited by lgdesign
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sid_9169 said:

After awhile, I was starting to prune, so I knew that I would have to get out and get on with my day. I dried off with my ship towel and made my way down the beach towards the ship. The sand here is thick, and it's an effort to make every single step. I walked and walked until I started to get the feeling that my lily white feet could get badly sunburned. I cut through back to the main road, but the rocks and asphalt were beginning to wear on me. I didn't want to put my beach shoes back on due to the clumps of sand sticking to my feet. 

Tip: Bring a travel-size baby powder with you. It helps remove the sand from your feet.

And I'm enjoying your review -- it's keeping me entertained as I prep for our cruise in a few weeks. Plus, we're thinking of doing Viva next year, so it's nice to see additional perspectives of the Prima.

• Like 8

I made it all the way down to seven mile public beach and checked out the scene which includes several wild chickens... They were cooking jerk chicken on the beach, and I wondered if they were just "getting them for free".

PXL_20230208_184321957.thumb.jpg.86d1cc8aa0cf91a12b38b4cc360bf518.jpg

PXL_20230208_184837711.thumb.jpg.c5fb3dfdb19ad6ce4af4674edb466e5e.jpg

PXL_20230208_184912982.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 16

So, after the swim in the ocean and the long walk, I found another public bus headed back towards town. I wanted to try and find the other cigar shops in town to see if I would have better luck. Churchill's in the mall looked lacking on inventory, so I went to try and find La Casa Del Habano. I didn't have my real phone with me so I couldn't utilize my GPS or maps. I had to navigate like the Indians, and soon I ended up finding it. The ones I wanted were grossly more than I was looking to pay, so I found a box of ten Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial that suited my needs, but I still ended up paying $287 for ten Cuban cigars. At least I know they're real because of the source.

Pretty soon after, I was wandering back towards the terminal. I really needed a decent cardboard box to bring home my bottle of tequila and dirty clothes. I didn't check a bag on the way down, and you can't bring liquor back UNLESS it's a checked bag. I went into several of the stores to ask, but they didn't seem to want to help. I ended up finding some boxes in the garbage behind one of the buildings, and now at least I had everything I needed to get my loot back home... 

I made my way back to the tender terminal with my beach bag, cigars, and my empty cardboard box, and I soon found myself on the tender back to the shop. I dropped everything once I got to my cabin, and immediately jumped in the shower to wash away the day on shore. Next thing I knew, I was up at Vibe enjoying several margaritas in a row from Rommel...

• Like 26