Checked Bag or Carry On

tonyfall1

I will be flying in the night before my cruise. Both flights are direct flights. I can save a total of $140 if I check one large bag for me and my wife instead of bringing 2 carry on bags. My only reservation about the checked bag is being overly paranoid that it somehow gets lost. Just wondering everyones thoughts on this.

My thoughts are I can't worry about everything that might go wrong.  

We check our bags all the time.  For many years.  Never had one lost.  Obviously it can happen.  I would think it less risky on nonstops.  If it is a big worry, you can control the risk somewhat.  For example, check one large and take one carry-on.  Or check two bags.  

While we have never had one lost, we did have one picked up off the carousel by someone else once.   We got their number from their similar bag that was still on the carousel and were able to contact them.   Other than being just a little irritated at the knucklehead, everything turned out OK.  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, tonyfall1 said:

I will be flying in the night before my cruise. Both flights are direct flights. I can save a total of $140 if I check one large bag for me and my wife instead of bringing 2 carry on bags. My only reservation about the checked bag is being overly paranoid that it somehow gets lost. Just wondering everyones thoughts on this.

Do you mean non-stop (rather than “direct”)?

in either case, your only concern would be the checked bag not being loaded on the plane.

Though rare, it can happen. FWIW, FF status and cabin class can make a difference: If the plane has weight concerns,  bags with a “priority” sticker get that “priority.” 
We regularly check two large bags -almost always on United bizclass (with Star Alliance partner connections where needed). Using the United app we can see when the bags are scanned and, at least, know when and where the bags have been loaded and unloaded. 
But, even though we have the “priority” stickers, we still breath a sigh of relief when we first see the bags dumped ono the carousel at our destination airport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyfall1 said:

When you say “ both flights are direct” are you saying that you will be changing planes?  And, if you are, why wouldn’t each flight be direct?

5 minutes ago, buckeye7 said:

Maybe split the difference and check one large bag but also bring one carry on for essentials. A little more money for a little more peace of mind?

I don't need advice from a Buckeye 🤢..but thanks... Go Blue.

• Haha 3

"Direct, non-stop ... both flights".  I'm clueless as to what this means.  But I will tell you about things I have learned about a checked bag.  I've become quite a fiend about luggage ... many years ago all the tags were torn off my bag between SFO and Roma, via Amsterdam.  Some wonderful person opened my bag, saw all the information he needed, and forwarded it to our hotel in Roma.  As a certified clothes horse, I would be extremely upset to start a cruise with no luggage!  Put your detailed itinerary from your house to the ship on top of the contents before you close the bag.  Put another copy in the upper outside pocket.  Be sure your ID tag is waterproof and easily readable.  List your hotel phone as well as your cell.  If you have any contact information for the ship, include that.  When you check the bag at the airport, be sure the agent puts the right destination airport tag on it.  I don't 'worry' about my bag either, but am very glad to see it arrive on the carousel.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jsn55 said:

"Direct, non-stop ... both flights".  I'm clueless as to what this means. 

A direct flight is a flight between point A and point B where you don't change planes, but there are stops between the 2 points. Non stop is a flight between the 2 points with no stops in between.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am packing for a long trip (42 days, land and sea) now.  DH insists on suits so that requires checked.  Our two carryons contain everything we absolutely need so if the checked bags get lost we can continue on and have the airline deliver our bags to our home as a last result.  We have a credit card that gives us free baggage check.  I am just trying for a worry free travel.

I use carryon only for 10 days or less, one climate 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AZCactusCruiser said:

A direct flight is a flight between point A and point B where you don't change planes, but there are stops between the 2 points. Non stop is a flight between the 2 points with no stops in between.

Yes ... but it would be interesting to know just what our OP has booked for flights.  A stop is just as subject to baggage problems as a connection.  

Will you be able to carry on a personal item at no charge? I'm thinking of meds and a change of under clothes for just in case your checked bag goes astray because that's what I do. And of course what we all do as individuals is the right way to do it. 

Glad to hear you've made your decision. Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyfall1 said:

The flight is Non-Stop from DTW(Detroit) to MCO. Same for return. I am going to do checked bag.

Glad you've made a decision and can now think about all the wonderful parts of your cruise.  Can't remember if I included this earlier:  pack a compete outfit in your carryon.  Chose clothing that coordinates with what you wear on the plane.  Just in case ... it's a lot easier to deal with a lost bag when you're not desperate.

• Like 1

If you want a little more peace of mind, you could always buy a bag tracker so you can see where your bags are.  

If you are flying Delta, their app has bag tracker built-in for you.  If you are flying Spirit, well...  you're on your own there.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mammajamma2013 said:

I'm thinking of meds and a change of under clothes for just in case your checked bag goes astray because that's what I do.

Never a bad idea.  I would NEVER put meds in checked luggage, even getting on the ship.  Even for a non-stop flight (I'll be on one in March for my cruise, also to MCO as the OP is), I plan to check a bag but I also plan to bring a small duffel for a second carry-on (in addition to the one under the seat with my tablet and other misc. stuff) that will have my overnight stuff for my pre-cruise hotel stay and my clothes for embarkation day.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mammajamma2013 said:

Will you be able to carry on a personal item at no charge? I'm thinking of meds and a change of under clothes for just in case your checked bag goes astray because that's what I do. And of course what we all do as individuals is the right way to do it. 

Glad to hear you've made your decision. Have a great cruise!

yes we can bring a personal item, so good idea. we will put a bathing suit any meds and flip flops. I think we can survive with those lol.

• Like 1

If you can't afford to lose it don't check it. I'd spend the extra for carry on to be absolutely certain my belongings would be with me and consider the charge as an insurance premium. On those occasions where circumstances require more than I can carry on I will check a bag AND bring a smaller carry on. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Slightly off topic ... I know that airlines charge for checked bags in coach if you don't have a credit card to cover the fee, but what airline charges extra for a carryon?  

Some of the European budget airlines do.  In US JetBlue.  There may be others 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 10:56 AM, jsn55 said:

Yes ... but it would be interesting to know just what our OP has booked for flights.  A stop is just as subject to baggage problems as a connection.  

LOL ... Yes, I took the statement as the flight TO the cruise is non-stop.  The flight home AFTER the cruise is non-stop.  There is the 'both ways'.  

On 2/2/2023 at 10:59 AM, tonyfall1 said:

You've already received lots of repolies telling you not to worry.

While I agree with others that you should check, that is another alternative.  

I assume that based on your init that you are flying with Spirit.  Although you will be changed for carryons, your personal items are still free.  Spirit allows personal item up to 45x35x20 cm, or 31.5 liters.  If you are going on a Caribbean cruise, I think that 31.5 liter bag that fits under the seat in from of you is more than plenty.  

If you are going on a cruise in the Caribbean, you really don't need to bring anything with you.  You do not need a sleeping bag, a tent, or a sleeping pad.  Likewise, you do not need to bring cooking utensils, stove, cooking gear, tableware, silverware, etc.  You do not need to bring water or food.  Even tolet paper, towels, and shampoo is provided.  Just exactly what are you packing?  A toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, a few changes of underwear, a few shirts, your cell phone, flip flops, swim suit and a first aid kit.  That's pretty much it, no? That easily packs into a small daypack.  

Just travel with a personal item.  

32 minutes ago, pdmlynek said:

You've already received lots of repolies telling you not to worry.

While I agree with others that you should check, that is another alternative.  

I assume that based on your init that you are flying with Spirit.  Although you will be changed for carryons, your personal items are still free.  Spirit allows personal item up to 45x35x20 cm, or 31.5 liters.  If you are going on a Caribbean cruise, I think that 31.5 liter bag that fits under the seat in from of you is more than plenty.  

If you are going on a cruise in the Caribbean, you really don't need to bring anything with you.  You do not need a sleeping bag, a tent, or a sleeping pad.  Likewise, you do not need to bring cooking utensils, stove, cooking gear, tableware, silverware, etc.  You do not need to bring water or food.  Even tolet paper, towels, and shampoo is provided.  Just exactly what are you packing?  A toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, a few changes of underwear, a few shirts, your cell phone, flip flops, swim suit and a first aid kit.  That's pretty much it, no? That easily packs into a small daypack.  

Just travel with a personal item.  

I agree.  We are currently on a land trip. A month in Acapulco, Mexico (same weather as Caribbean) followed by a wedding in Orlando then flying back home on Spirit.  We are traveling with one personal item each…a backpack that meets Spirit’s requirements so no extra charges.   

FYI….family that is driving to the wedding is bringing his suit, my dress and both our shoes for the wedding. 

• Like 1