Fire on Viking Orion

stretchcruz

The reports indicate it was extinguished by the crew, but in reality it was most likely extinguished by the Hi-Fog sprinkler system that extinguishes a fire in seconds, before the crew were even on scene.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

I was going to make a joke about people using the bathroom outlet for other than shavers, but thought it might be bad form. But it happens, so maybe not so bad!

Linda - I always wondered as well.  They tell you not do do certain things with the outlets, but I'm sure people do them anyway.   People still bring hairdryers for example.

from the one site, it appears something like this might have happened:

"We can confirm that a small fire occurred in a guest stateroom on board the Viking Orion while the ship was docked in Sydney the morning of February 3 (local time), .... early reports indicate the cause of the fire was electrical, possibly from a corded device."

2 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

“There shouldn’t be a problem if I bring onboard my (insert prohibited device of choice here), right??”

Whenever we’ve brought anything onboard, they’ve always made sure it had an automatic shutoff. 

Chances are it was caused by something the passenger brought into the cabin but not necessarily that person's fault.  There was a recent report of a diverted flight because a tablet/IPad began smoking.  I left a USB cord plugged into a bedside table outlet but no device charging at the end.  When we returned to the room housekeeping had unplugged it.  Now I do same.

A passenger in the stateroom next to the one where the fire started stated that they grabbed their passports etc to evacuate and the smoke in the hallway was so thick and black that she couldn't see where she was going. She said that the stench was horrible even on the floor below. She was worried that all of her clothes etc would be ruined. 

24 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

A passenger in the stateroom next to the one where the fire started stated that they grabbed their passports etc to evacuate and the smoke in the hallway was so thick and black that she couldn't see where she was going. She said that the stench was horrible even on the floor below. She was worried that all of her clothes etc would be ruined. 

Smoke is extremely destructive and blackens everything with a greasy film. Will take a bit of cleaning and I'd expect impacted passengers would receive free laundry.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

This article says there’s no disruption to the current cruise, despite the evacuation of 600 pax. So many questions!

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/passengers-evacuated-from-cruise-ship-after-fire-breaks-out/news-story/f47e3ef21761fbde1277822f66de6a6d?amp

I read they only evacuated two deck levels and impacted passengers have been accomodated elsewhere. Fire was out before land fire crews arrived. Investigating the cause but it started in a passenger cabin. 

16 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Someone bring on their own hairdryer?

I would put my money on a surge protector.  Even a high wattage hair dryer would not likely cause a fire, it would simply pop the circuit breaker.  Only if the appliance itself failed, would it cause a fire (like a heating element where the auto-off switch failed.

16 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

I was going to make a joke about people using the bathroom outlet for other than shavers, but thought it might be bad form. But it happens, so maybe not so bad!

Even if you plugged a 2000w hair dryer into the bathroom outlet, it would not cause a fire, as the outlet is protected by a fuse.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The reports indicate it was extinguished by the crew, but in reality it was most likely extinguished by the Hi-Fog sprinkler system that extinguishes a fire in seconds, before the crew were even on scene.

Does Viking have Hi-Fog in the cabins, or a basic sprinkler system?  Most of my cruise ships only used Hi-Fog in machinery spaces, to protect the electrical systems, while the cabins got the "large drop" sprinklers to maximize water on the fire.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Does Viking have Hi-Fog in the cabins, or a basic sprinkler system?  Most of my cruise ships only used Hi-Fog in machinery spaces, to protect the electrical systems, while the cabins got the "large drop" sprinklers to maximize water on the fire.

Good question and unfortunately not one I can answer, as whenever we had Hi-fog installed, it was throughout all enclosed spaces.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I would put my money on a surge protector. 

Could be, or a portable battery (like people use to charge up phones, go pros, etc) or similar being charged.  I had a portable battery pack being charged at work and I started to smell it burning, my nose is trained to burning, after being on a boat which exploded when I was 15. Thanks goodness I was at my desk. I quickly unplugged both the plug and ripped out the usb. The plastic was melting around the usb end, and was very hot.  It was a known good brand, but there was obviously a fault.  

I wouldn’t wish to assume the cause at the moment, though I know you’re more experienced at likely suspects than me!

GBM