Labadee starting late 2024

Tyro1

I was looking through cruises and noticed that sometime late 2024 and beyond, Celebrity will start sailing to Labadee. I’m curious everyone thoughts on this. I personally love Labadee and  think it’s a good fit for the demographic, with a good mix of chill and adventure options, but nothing over the top like CoCo Cay. 

• Like 2

I didn’t realize Celebrity had stopped going to Labadee. Granted, it’s been 8 years, but I’ve been there a couple of time on Celebrity. It’s a nice day. I can’t remember the food so it must not have been anything special.

I loved our stop at Coco Cay with Royal last year and I would prefer going there over Nassau. I am looking forward to going back in August. We went to the far side of the island and it was very nice. Drink service was great and food was good. We also enjoyed the pool, though in December, it was pretty chilly.

I’m not a huge fan of private islands, except Half Moon Cay, and won’t book a cruise because of them, but always end up enjoying a low key beach day when there is one in our itinerary.

Unless you're seeing a regular pattern, in late December 2022, a scan of the schedule showed there were only a handful of cruises each year to Labedee with shorter sailings. Nothing consistent week after week or month after month. 

Would love for an Edge Class ship to skip one of the usual Carribean ports for a private and secure beach experience. 

What I used to like with RC is the barefoot beach buffet for suite guests. I imagine that’s a thing of the past. Coco Cay buffet was really a bit of a disappointment by comparison. And nothing special for suites anymore. Too Disney-esque compared to Labadee.  

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

What I used to like with RC is the barefoot beach buffet for suite guests. I imagine that’s a thing of the past. Coco Cay buffet was really a bit of a disappointment by comparison. And nothing special for suites anymore. Too Disney-esque compared to Labadee.  

Do inside cabin guests to to the buffet where they must wear shoes ? 🤣

• Haha 3

Our stop at Labadee was in 1988 while sailing RCI's Song of America. There were very few children aboard, probably due to the lack of 3rd and 4th berths. However, they would hire teachers to run a rudimentary kid's program for holiday sailings. This is my daughter with the kid's program coordinator. They had been flying kites on the beach. Not much there in 1988 other than the beach buffet, a few vendors, and a nice beach. 

Labadee.jpg

• Like 2

Been to Labadee once. Never again.

The food was cold. The only drinks available were fruity concoctions - a bartender we had gotten to know actually apologized for not being able to make a simple gin & tonic for me. Had to bribe an attendant to get a beach chair. If I left the chair for a short time they would take it back until I bribed them again. The "bazaar" had multiple vendors all selling the same "made in China" garbage.

No thanks.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, bobndee said:

The food was cold. The only drinks available were fruity concoctions - a bartender we had gotten to know actually apologized for not being able to make a simple gin & tonic for me. Had to bribe an attendant to get a beach chair. If I left the chair for a short time they would take it back until I bribed them again. The "bazaar" had multiple vendors all selling the same "made in China" garbage.

No thanks.

The things you mention were never the case with Barefoot Beach Club. Buffet was terrific. Can’t speak for whatever has been going on there past several years. Coco Cay was basically hot dogs, hamburgers and fried chicken. And sweet fruity drinks. Next time I’ll go over to swim and then back on the ship for lunch. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

We just got off the Edge.  Love the cruise— kinda wish there was a private island they would stop at.  All the ports were great—-EXCEPT—- Colombia (Cartagena).  Took a city tour— as soon as we got off the bus at the fort— many, many street vendors kept coming to you trying to sell you stuff. Happen at all the stops.  At the main square— tried to sit & enjoy a beer— constantly had them coming by.   Plus there were 3 ships in port.   I think it would be a ok port if not constantly bothered.  Plus a few beggars 

only thing ok-/ was walking back to ship was a free small zoo you walk thru— 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobndee said:

No thanks.

Never had that experience in many times at Labadee over the years. The bazaar can be easily avoided. 

All the food and drinks are sent over from the ship. So if your experience was form a Royal ship it won't be the same if you go from a Celebrity ship. The two times I went from a Celebity ship the food and beverages were different than Royal provisioning and higher quality. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momperson3 said:

We just got off the Edge.  Love the cruise— kinda wish there was a private island they would stop at.  All the ports were great—-EXCEPT—- Colombia (Cartagena).  Took a city tour— as soon as we got off the bus at the fort— many, many street vendors kept coming to you trying to sell you stuff. Happen at all the stops.  At the main square— tried to sit & enjoy a beer— constantly had them coming by.   Plus there were 3 ships in port.   I think it would be a ok port if not constantly bothered.  Plus a few beggars 

only thing ok-/ was walking back to ship was a free small zoo you walk thru— 

You should have done private excusion at Cartagena. The street vendors are still a bother but the private  tour guides make an effort to keep them away. 

I personally hate it and usually don't get off the ship.   OK... we aren't big on laying out in the sun and the "Activities" are something of little interest.   Also the pushy vendors are also a negative as well as the 12 foot chain link fences with armed guards exiting

Last time we tendered there it was 105F and felt sorry for the crew.     Passengers went ashore but due to the extreme temperatures most returned rather quickly.    I'm sure this isn't the norm.

armed security

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I personally hate it and usually don't get off the ship.   OK... we aren't big on laying out in the sun and the "Activities" are something of little interest.   Also the pushy vendors are also a negative as well as the 12 foot chain link fences with armed guards exiting

Last time we tendered there it was 105F and felt sorry for the crew.     Passengers went ashore but due to the extreme temperatures most returned rather quickly.    I'm sure this isn't the norm.

armed security

Well if you don’t like beaches it’s not for you. There is a dock now. So if you tendered you have not been there in a long time. The pushy vendors are in a section that can be avoided. If you enter their area they are still desperate. There is a zip line and roller coaster. There are cabanas, some over the water. It has been changed a lot since they built the dock. ( the guards have better automatic weapons too and military style uniforms) I like Labadee because I like beaches, swimming and on the beach sitting on the beach. Since there is a dock now I don’t feel like I have to stay for the whole day. Return to the ship when we feel like. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisinsusin said:

Last fall on Coco Cay there was barbeque and  surprisingly good Cuban sandwiches

I thought the food and beverages at the Perfect Day Coco Cay after they built the dock there were a big improvement. Pre Covid RC they planned to re-make Labadee into a Perfect Day type experience. I don’t think that plan has progressed.  

Was lucky enough to be in Labadee last year with Royal. Barefoot Beach is still there - we didn’t go there as we weren’t in a suite. No problem with vendors as we didn’t go to that area. Food was better than expected but not as good as CocoCay which has great food, especially if you get the chance to go the Beach Club. But even the “free” options are great.

Wendy