Connecting room

jinpasco

The good and the bad. Our  upgrade bid was accepted . But, it's a connecting room. Can anyone give me some thoughts on how noisy that can be or at least hints on how to lessen hearing the other cruisers in the next room ? 

I absolutely hate it the connecting cabins. I accidentally had booked one without not realizing it years ago when the Regal had just added those connecting doors in certain cabins. The rooms are not as soundproof and I have some rowdy young teenagers who were banging on it trying hard to pretend that they were trying to break in through it knowing that it was dead bolted. But never ever again will I.

On the other hand if you are traveling with a big group then yes it will be helpful if you have two cabins booked.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jinpasco said:

The good and the bad. Our  upgrade bid was accepted . But, it's a connecting room. Can anyone give me some thoughts on how noisy that can be or at least hints on how to lessen hearing the other cruisers in the next room ? 

I can give you plenty of bad from our last experience.  The people in the cabin next to us insisted on keeping their sliding door open all night and the wind whistled (roared) thru the crack in the adjoining door and you couldn't even hear yourself talk.  Also, it was blowing cold air thru the cracks right onto our bed and it was freezing.  Hubby solved it a little bit by stuffing toilet paper in the cracks to cut down on the roar and breeze.  Several requests to them by cabin steward to close their door at night made no difference.  Never again.  But, I guess they would be good if you have family traveling with you.

• Like 2

Not a family trip but  since  it's a 2 week cruise it may cut down on noisy neighbors, hoping for no children at least. Its from a bid so we can not choose a room. Went from window to premium balcony on Caribe ( larger deck). I am torn as to what to do. I knew the risks of bidding. I guess it's goes under the heading, be careful what you ask for.

Edited by jinpasco
Missing info
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jinpasco said:

Not a family trip but  since  it's a 2 week cruise it may cut down on noisy neighbors, hoping for no children at least. Its from a bid so we can not choose a room. Went from window to premium balcony on Caribe ( larger deck). I am torn as to what to do. I knew the risks of bidding. I guess it's goes under the heading, be careful what you ask for.

I know it’s a long shot, but IF a cabin is open in that same category, you could ask your TA Or whomever you booked with, to change the cabin.  I’d stick with the large balcony though, because we love the big balconies.  

But, see what is available, in your category, then call.

16 minutes ago, jinpasco said:

I'm hoping everything works out for you and it's not terribly loud. I mean I'm not one of these type of people that complained ever but I wonder if it actually becomes an issue that you can just go down a guest services and ask for a room change within the same category of course if available

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jemnibabe said:

I can give you plenty of bad from our last experience.  The people in the cabin next to us insisted on keeping their sliding door open all night and the wind whistled (roared) thru the crack in the adjoining door and you couldn't even hear yourself talk.  Also, it was blowing cold air thru the cracks right onto our bed and it was freezing.  Hubby solved it a little bit by stuffing toilet paper in the cracks to cut down on the roar and breeze.  Several requests to them by cabin steward to close their door at night made no difference.  Never again.  But, I guess they would be good if you have family traveling with you.

We had this same type of experience. The whistling from their open balcony door all night was horrible. We stuffed towels and anything else under the adjoining door but it did no good. Could not get room change as ship was sold out. As you said never again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

We had this same type of experience. The whistling from their open balcony door all night was horrible. We stuffed towels and anything else under the adjoining door but it did no good. Could not get room change as ship was sold out. As you said never again. 

We had the whistling but after we opened our side put a towel between the door it was fine. That was on the Ruby I think. We did like having connecting cabins when we traveled with family, also had the balcony divider opened that trip.

Thanks ....We had had them twice before but once was with family so you are a bit more tolerant. Other time I remember hearing coughing ( he was a smoker)  . Then again we have had non connecting rooms when our neighbors were less than respectful of others. I am not good with confrontation . Once I saw the man on the balcony after a LOUD bang ( wall shook) and pretended to be concerned he hurt himself. I told him I almost called the desk to send someone to check on him thinking he fell and he was hurt. My way of saying, damn you are noisy !. After that ,he actually was better. Turned out he opened the balcony door (  6am ) at the same time his wife opened the room door and the wind for the better of the room door, bam ! Never happened again. Yes, I am a woos.

1 hour ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

That seems to be a common problem.

Never again for us. We learned our lesson. 

5 hours ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

We had this experience on one cruise and just has I had the door on our side open and figured out what was going on, I loudly told my DH the cause and that I was going to call guest services and ask them to call our next door neighbors and tell them to close the balcony door. They closed the balcony door before I even got to the phone and it wasn't a problem the rest of the 10 day cruise. 

On other cruises it has been family sharing connecting doors and it was never a problem.

It is amazing that people can be so clueless or thoughtless (or both).

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

I know it’s a long shot, but IF a cabin is open in that same category, you could ask your TA Or whomever you booked with, to change the cabin.  I’d stick with the large balcony though, because we love the big balconies.  

But, see what is available, in your category, then call.

Do this. Check immediately for alternate cabins in the same category and ask to be moved to one of them that doesn't have a connecting cabin. If there is a suitable cabin available in the same category they will normally change for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a connecting cabin once and I guessed I lucked out.  The only time I heard the couple next door was if we all were standing by the connecting door, and it was just muffled conversation.  Did not impact my cruise at all.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

I had a connecting cabin once and I guessed I lucked out.  The only time I heard the couple next door was if we all were standing by the connecting door, and it was just muffled conversation.  Did not impact my cruise at all.

Yes, you were very lucky. I have always regretted staying in a connecting cabin unless we were with the people staying in that room. When people are together, they have more of a tendency to be more aware of their neighbors comfort. 

• Like 2

Wow. I don’t doubt or question any of the reports here. What they experienced is what they experienced. But our favorite cabin is the largest extended balcony mid-ship Mini-Suite  on the Royal Class ships and it happens to be a connecting cabin, and we have never experienced anything like what is described here. I guess our luck may run out, but so far so good. Have that same cabin in May. Fingers crossed. (Of course, I suppose it could be that the people in the adjoining cabin are the ones complaining about US, rather than the other way around, but I don’t think so.)

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

Do this. Check immediately for alternate cabins in the same category and ask to be moved to one of them that doesn't have a connecting cabin. If there is a suitable cabin available in the same category they will normally change for you.

Actually seeing our TA today so may see what we can do. I knew the risk of bidding so may have to stick with it. It's a much better room than the obstructed window which we were happy with until hubby got a blood clot and we now need a bit more room to move about , especially at night if he can't sleep. All rooms now showing reserve due to being under 30 days but she may be able to call Monday. Thanks for the advise

12 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

But our favorite cabin is the largest extended balcony mid-ship Mini-Suite  on the Royal Class ships and it happens to be a connecting cabin, and we have never experienced anything like what is described here

So glad to hear this, because we chose the Mid-Ship, extended balcony on the Enchanted purposefully and were so excited to get it. Now I’m a bit worried, but will cross my fingers. Love the towel btw the doors tip and will remember it just in case.

On 2/4/2023 at 6:34 AM, jinpasco said:

Can't really stop the sound if the neighbors are loud.  Doors are always a weak point for soundproofing since the door is on hinges and it will resonate independently of the wall which allows for sound transferrence.  If you can fit a towel under or around the door that can help to dampen some of the resonation.

Edited by malba2366
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, malba2366 said:

Can't really stop the sound if the neighbors are loud.  Doors are always a weak point for soundproofing since the door is on hinges and it will resonate independently of the wall which allows for sound transferrence.  If you can fit a towel under or around the door that can help to dampen some of the resonation.

Thank you, if the room can't be changed then thinking pool towels  and maybe order some extra pillows to stuff in there. Who knows, maybe the other room will think we are the noisy ones !  Keeping good thoughts.

10 hours ago, jinpasco said:

Actually seeing our TA today so may see what we can do. I knew the risk of bidding so may have to stick with it. It's a much better room than the obstructed window which we were happy with until hubby got a blood clot and we now need a bit more room to move about , especially at night if he can't sleep. All rooms now showing reserve due to being under 30 days but she may be able to call Monday. Thanks for the advise

I have found that a bunch of rooms open up 3-5 days before sailing if the sailing isn’t sold out, so if nothing is available now, keep checking. Note room changes must be made by midnight of 3 days before sailing (or else on board) so if you see something in the morning 3 days before, call quickly. 

I got a nice move this way on our recent 15-day booked as balcony guarantee (the only balcony available when we booked).  A few rooms opened up 5 days before, a few more 4 days before, and a bunch more 3 days before around mid-morning. 

Edited by EconDoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1