Charge for shipping medallions

16 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Am I correct that Princess will soon begin charging $10 for shipping medallions unless you buy one of their new packages? I read they will & I read they won't so I'm not sure.

I remember reading that somewhere.  I’m not sure what the advantage of having a medallion in your hand before embarkation is, and why they chose to make this a selling point of the plus package.  

Edited by malba2366

32 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Am I correct that Princess will soon begin charging $10 for shipping medallions unless you buy one of their new packages? I read they will & I read they won't so I'm not sure.

Yes you are correct. Per the FAQ #40 starting 2/20

What do you mean by free Medallion® device shipping? How does that work?
You will be receiving a complimentary Medallion device and lanyard as part of your cruise experience. For any guests with a Plus or Premier package, you may order these items delivered to your home (for U.S. guests only) for no extra shipping fees. If you do not have the package, you pay a $10 flat fee to have these delivered to your home. Or you could choose to pick them up at the departure port for no extra fees.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, malba2366 said:

I remember reading that somewhere.  I’m not sure what the advantage of having a medallion in your hand before embarkation is, and why they chose to make this a selling point of the plus package.  

When there is a long line of passengers waiting to board, the embarkation crew often is looking for passengers with medallions in hand that they can send through to Step B of check in. (Step A is getting the medallion.) This happened to us in Sydney, and medallions in hand saved us more than 3 hours standing in line.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The FAQs say "Effective 12/14/22 on sailings 2/20/23 and onward, Princess Plus will now include premium desserts, fitness classes and free Medallion® device shipping... " 

So does that mean that if you ordered your medallion prior to 12/14/22 it will still ship free even if your cruise is after 2/20/23?    

• Like 2

So I was worried about the charge for shipping the medallions. But when I just recently booked a cruise for April I was pleasantly surprised and a good way that it still remained free to ship here within the US. The Cruise was book last Monday so that's how recent of ordering a medallion for an upcoming cruise was.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

So I was worried about the charge for shipping the medallions. But when I just recently booked a cruise for April I was pleasantly surprised and a good way that it still remained free to ship here within the US. The Cruise was book last Monday so that's how recent of ordering a medallion for an upcoming cruise was.

i recently booked a cruise (before you did) and ordered the medallion.  When I went to check out…they wanted to charge me.  

another example of inconsistency.  I’ll pick it up at the port….thank you.

Thank you @dglish….I will be happy to have mine in hand before boarding internationally.   Ordered mine when it was free.  

if memory serves me, $16.  Slightly more than online, but you save on the shipping.  Just bought an AirTag holder for my watch.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

i recently booked a cruise (before you did) and ordered the medallion.  When I went to check out…they wanted to charge me.  

another example of inconsistency.  I’ll pick it up at the port….thank you.

Thank you @dglish….I will be happy to have mine in hand before boarding internationally.   Ordered mine when it was free.  

Thank you for sharing. That's interesting. Hmmm? Was yours being shipped within the United States?

If I were in your shoes and it came up being a charge i too would have had just picked it up at the port.

• Like 1

Checked our previously ordered April 2024 Medallion’s status that we made when booking the cruise in August 2022 and it currently has no shipping charge.

Maybe they’ll grandfather existing orders? Although they have 14 months to add the shipping fee & if so they need to inform passengers who already ordered them & not to just automatically add shipping. Although based on previous app glitches, I’m skeptical if they’ll make such a notification.

Apparently their marketing about the quick Medallion boarding experience is now only available to those who pay for shipping or pay for Plus or Premier…another step towards a multi class cruising experience.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, pompeii said:

The FAQs say "Effective 12/14/22 on sailings 2/20/23 and onward, Princess Plus will now include premium desserts, fitness classes and free Medallion® device shipping... " 

So does that mean that if you ordered your medallion prior to 12/14/22 it will still ship free even if your cruise is after 2/20/23?    

I just ordered medallions for a May 2023 cruise originally booked last summer with standard pricing. I was NOT charged a shipping fee. Perhaps I am grandfathered in since the cruise was already purchased prior to the new rules.....

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I just ordered medallions for a May 2023 cruise originally booked last summer with standard pricing. I was NOT charged a shipping fee. Perhaps I am grandfathered in since the cruise was already purchased prior to the new rules.....

It was exactly the same for us, I was bracing to pay the shipping but it was free when we checked out.  Same booking time and sail date as you.

• Like 4

Being from Canada, we are forced to pick them up at the port... Last cruise, it added less than a minute onto our check-in time. 😁   

Alas getting them at the port was, much preferred.  We then had them in our hands for boarding and  the staff helped us test them first to make sure they were working.  

I watched another couple scrambling in their carry on to find them for check-in... Husband asked  "Wife, where did ya put them darn-it".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

As much as we like Princess (over 35 cruises with the line) we think charging to ship a Medallion is "small time" move which we find deplorable.  This Medallion thing was all the idea of Princess and it was also their idea (which they have heavily promoted) that they would send it to your address before the cruise.  Getting it at the port is a minor hassle, but we think what Princess is doing SUCKS!

By the way, some of the packages include a benefit of having the Medallions shipped free. 

Hank 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

So now I have to pay $10 to have their medallions sent to my home?

I don't think so.

I'll be picking them up at the terminal just like their cruise cards for many years.

What's next? Maybe charging for the medallions instead of a cruise card? 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Yep...any package other than "Standard" (Basic) is supposed to include shipping...until they cut that little item as well.

Going to be honest and say I only book standard and like I said mine were shipped free of cost. Thank God, very grateful.

1 minute ago, Jeter02 said:

Going to be honest and say I only book standard and like I said mine were shipped free of cost. Thank God, very grateful.

Me too... book Standard on Princess.  Living in Canada though, no medallion shipping at any cost; I didn't expect Divine intervention on that and will just get it at the cruise terminal.

13 hours ago, Loritd said:

I ordered mine last night for a September sailing with standard package, no charge. We are elite, could that be a factor?

I thought about the elite thing being a factor which made me actually look on the loyalty benefits the other day and it's not listed as anything unless that needs to be updated Who knows

Nope, not an loyalty elite perk.   You are held hostage if you don't buy into their beverage package.  

To me, this is as silly as not having Princess tote bags.  

Princess hyped the Medallion up so much and it crashed an burned:

1.  Coming to a ship near you :  took years to roll out to complete fleet

2.  Medallion Class app was going to change the way you experienced life on board : if it worked

3.  Just walk on board :  but be sure to stop and show your negative test/vac card/passport.

(I really can't blame this one on Princess....Life post covid)

4.  Everyone can easily get Medallion : except anyone outside the US

5.  Be the "elite" and get your medallion free if you order a beverage package :  Start of the class system.

I remember paying a nickel to ride the Star Ferry in Hong Kong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Nope, not an loyalty elite perk.   You are held hostage if you don't buy into their beverage package.  

To me, this is as silly as not having Princess tote bags.  

Princess hyped the Medallion up so much and it crashed an burned:

1.  Coming to a ship near you :  took years to roll out to complete fleet

2.  Medallion Class app was going to change the way you experienced life on board : if it worked

3.  Just walk on board :  but be sure to stop and show your negative test/vac card/passport.

(I really can't blame this one on Princess....Life post covid)

4.  Everyone can easily get Medallion : except anyone outside the US

5.  Be the "elite" and get your medallion free if you order a beverage package :  Start of the class system.

I remember paying a nickel to ride the Star Ferry in Hong Kong.

Yeah buying into the drink packages will never work for me. And will never happen. I will happily stick with my standard fare

• Like 3