Will the higher prices per fare and unpopular changes in the MDR have you considering changing lines?

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I went the first leg of b2b. They forgot about our table. People seated later were on their dessert. Finally came after a hour. Not sure the cut of meat but every bite was all grizzle.  Couldnt eat it. Lady next to me said her fish was dry. The appetizer and dessert not worth going. .. maybe if you are a wine drinker. It wasnt a good cut like Mdr strip. Big but not good. I didnt go 2nd leg. Wasnt good. Allure.

Idk but I heard pinnacles have a better menu. 

Sorry to hear about your lunch.

We've been very lucky the last 4 lunches...I usually order the pork belly for appetizer, lobster and filet for the main entree, and carrot cake for dessert.

* We'll see tomorrow...with all the changes, it may be different. I'll keep the menu and post it.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Mock booking on that cruise shows as 2250 or so now,  2D or 4D for 2. Just room and taxes/fees for 2 (1125 PP). Through one of the online TA's using this sites find a cruise. Not sure what category you have or if you can get the price drop.

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
delete

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Sorry to hear about your lunch.

We've been very lucky the last 4 lunches...I usually order the pork belly for appetizer, lobster and filet for the main entree, and carrot cake for dessert.

* We'll see tomorrow...with all the changes, it may be different. I'll keep the menu and post it.

There was no pork belly on our menu. Regular salad, some orzo pasta type and something else. Nothing I'm crazy about. Pork belly would have been a hit. For sure no filet or lobster. It was a different cut of meat, not a filet which again would have been good or lobster. Might have had carrot cake idk, by then I was a no thanks. 

Yes please post your menu. Mine wasnt worth bothering to go for except those who wanted wine. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 5:47 PM, firefly333 said:

There was no pork belly on our menu. Regular salad, some orzo pasta type and something else. Nothing I'm crazy about. Pork belly would have been a hit. For sure no filet or lobster. It was a different cut of meat, not a filet which again would have been good or lobster. Might have had carrot cake idk, by then I was a no thanks. 

Yes please post your menu. Mine wasnt worth bothering to go for except those who wanted wine. 

Menu...shrimp replaced lobster and filet replaced with tenderloin. Still a good lunch...but everyone can see all the changes.

20230215_125133.jpg

20230215_112333.jpg

20230215_113804.jpg

20230215_121333.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Menu...shrimp replaced lobster and filet replaced with tenderloin. Still a good lunch...but everyone can see all the changes.

20230215_125133.jpg

20230215_112333.jpg

20230215_113804.jpg

20230215_121333.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to take these photographs. If one picture is worth one thousand words, you just shared a very long post with us.

🥺

On 2/12/2023 at 6:47 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

I do sorely miss the lamb chops.  My second favorite entree in the MDR behind the beef tenderloin 

I liked the braised lamb. I noted it as being a surprise special dish on my Oasis cruise in September with so many other meals missing the mark in the MDR.

Nothing compared to it but what I was served in Morocco. Morocco specializes in lamb dishes. 

How does one do such a special difficult dish so well and miss on so many other plates? 😔

55 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I liked the braised lamb. I noted it as being a surprise special dish on my Oasis cruise in September with so many other meals missing the mark in the MDR.

Nothing compared to it but what I was served in Morocco. Morocco specializes in lamb dishes. 

How does one do such a special difficult dish so well and miss on so many other plates? 😔

Thank you for this. I might give it another try. I do love the lamb chops but I’m willing to give the shank another try.  Not everyone likes lamb, but those that do really enjoy it and I am one of them.  I don’t mind the stronger, richer taste, but I’m also one that loves liver pate and such (maybe it’s the pronounced iron taste that I like ?) I’m willing to try any dish once.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Thank you for this. I might give it another try. I do love the lamb chops but I’m willing to give the shank another try.  Not everyone likes lamb, but those that do really enjoy it and I am one of them.  I don’t mind the stronger, richer taste, but I’m also one that loves liver pate and such (maybe it’s the pronounced iron taste that I like ?) I’m willing to try any dish once.

On the menu, it was specifically, "Braised Lamb Shank." My wife and I ordered it and we looked at each other after the first bite like, "What the ???? Are you tasting what I am tasting?" We are foodies and we do not go on cruises for food. Someone else is buying, prepping, cooking, serving, and cleaning everything so we are just happy to get reasonable food. My wife is a superb cook (and baker) and I will hold my own in a BBQ or smoke cooker challenge. It was like a 9 out of 10. Wow!

Unfortunately, on that cruise, it was like a blind pig finding an acorn. All of the other MDR items were very subpar. My salmon was under cooked (raw) and my wife's salmon was over cooked to the point of being evaporated. My beef tenderloin was so tough I had to saw through it with a sharp knife. I politely tried to hide the carcass with a napkin so as to not insult the server when he removed it. From the look on his face, it was not the first time that evening he took a napkin covered dish. Our eyes meet and he asked if I wanted another menu item. I said I was fine and he quietly took my plate.

I have found something nice in every meal on RCI since 1988. This cruise left me perplexed. I hope this cruise was a one-off exception and not the norm as I return for three more this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

You should have given it to the maitre - they need to get pushback, else they will continue the cuts and fails!

I documented everything in my cruise afterwards when they sent me the electronic evaluation form. If I stopped to critique everything during the cruise it would have taken away from the time on board to enjoy and relax with my wife. The Guess Services line was long in most cases and the C&A representative was just non-responsive which I documented also.

I will eventually just vote with my wallet. I was able to get great deals on these cruises. As long as I can finagle lower prices, I will hold my nose on lower quality food options. There are people who are paying twice as much when they get on board for my same cabin 90 days out. I will not pay those prices if the cruise quality does not improve.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 4:38 PM, barb in ga said:

We cruised MSC for the New Year's Eve 10 night cruise on Divina. I love cruising and prefer Royal, but have tried a few others. What a disappointment! Mediocre MDR, terrible buffet, and disappointing entertainment.

We won't sail MSC again!

Barb

Divina is possibly not the best ship for decision making about an entire cruise line. It's a much smaller and older ship in the fleet. Several newer MSC ships offer different experiences. I dont sail older ships on any cruise line at this point. 

We are booking more Celebrity cruises as our lifestyle has changed. Royal's targeted on a much younger and active demographic as their newer ships become larger and have almost an amusement park atmosphere. If Icon is the future - then it isn't in our future. The more "senior" and intimate ships are aging and will slowly go away, which is sad.

The cost of a Celebrity cruise is higher but the "includes all" fare does have wi-fi, tips and a beverage package. The food has been very good and on the newer ships (E-class) has multiple main dining rooms with a different menu and atmosphere (French, Italian, Mediterranean and American cuisines) that can be changed every evening. It is a slower pace experience like cruising was when we started - more relaxing. I have just become an octogenarian and enjoy the longer itineraries (9 - 13 days) and great service.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

We are booking more Celebrity cruises as our lifestyle has changed. Royal's targeted on a much younger and active demographic as their newer ships become larger and have almost an amusement park atmosphere. If Icon is the future - then it isn't in our future. The more "senior" and intimate ships are aging and will slowly go away, which is sad.

The cost of a Celebrity cruise is higher but the "includes all" fare does have wi-fi, tips and a beverage package. The food has been very good and on the newer ships (E-class) has multiple main dining rooms with a different menu and atmosphere (French, Italian, Mediterranean and American cuisines) that can be changed every evening. It is a slower pace experience like cruising was when we started - more relaxing. I have just become an octogenarian and enjoy the longer itineraries (9 - 13 days) and great service.

Though there's a lot of criticism on the Celebrity board as well about falling standards recently in the restaurants and bars 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Though there's a lot of criticism on the Celebrity board as well about falling standards recently in the restaurants and bars 

I think that criticism is universal - standards have been lowered across the food service and hospitality industries (on land, sea and air)...........unfortunately. We are enjoying the more relaxed atmosphere refreshing newer ships that fit our new slower pace lifestyle. 

2 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

I think that criticism is universal - standards have been lowered across the food service and hospitality industries (on land, sea and air)...........unfortunately. We are enjoying the more relaxed atmosphere refreshing newer ships that fit our new slower pace lifestyle. 

Our go to restaurants must have not gotten the memo. We have about a half dozen restaurants that we frequent regularly depending on what we are hungry for. Though the prices have gone up, the quality of the food and service has not changed one iota. All our favorites are still available so we will continue to enjoy what they have to offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Our go to restaurants must have not gotten the memo. We have about a half dozen restaurants that we frequent regularly depending on what we are hungry for. Though the prices have gone up, the quality of the food and service has not changed one iota. All our favorites are still available so we will continue to enjoy what they have to offer.

Agree, prices up but quality unchanged in our land based restaurants.  They recognize the meal they serve today influences whether the customer returns tomorrow.

It feels like the cruise line execs got together in secret and said maybe if we all reduce food quality together none of our loyal customers will be tempted to switch lines.

• Like 1

Ironic, but on our upcoming cruise, we turn diamond status, but we have thoughts of this being our last cruise. Pricing has skyrocketed, I feel that it's not just RCL that's nickel and diming customers, it's all of the cruise lines. 

Summer 2024, a 10 night trip to Japan via a tour group, all inclusive. A very sweet deal! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

You should have given it to the maitre - they need to get pushback, else they will continue the cuts and fails!

THIS.

I think we all forget the power we have as a consumer.  If you are disappointed, be sure to politely give details to Royal as to why.

As for us (I am the OP), we went after the deals and switched to NCL.  This thread has helped a lot.  NCL may have made the same cuts, but the deal I got was better.  We are not fans of Carnival, but since Royal seems no longer worth the money, they're looking better all the time.  

Every cruise line is now going to their private islands so they can rake in more on shore excursions (you can't hire a private company and give money to the locals), so I feel like the changes to the MDR are just another cash grab.

We'll be waiting out Royal until y'all say the quality of the food is back.

Edited by Momto3girlsintheCarolinas
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

THIS.

I think we all forget the power we have as a consumer.  If you are disappointed, be sure to politely give details to Royal as to why.

We'll be waiting out Royal until y'all say the quality of the food is back.

My #236 post goes to your point. When you feel there are better choices out there, vote with your wallet. The change might not be immediate but it will be noticed.

Demand and occupancy are high at this time. Until cruisers who normally do three or more cruises a year reduce it to once a year, nothing will change. Until demand goes down, there is no incentive for cruise lines to change.

I do not think my decision to not cruise will matter at all to them until they realize that I am one of many.

• Like 5

On 2/16/2023 at 7:59 PM, bonsai3s said:

20230215_125133.jpg

20230215_112333.jpg

20230215_113804.jpg

20230215_121333.jpg

Doesn't Royal know that shellfish allergies are the most common allergies?  This menu is mostly shellfish.  

1 hour ago, lakelorain said:

Doesn't Royal know that shellfish allergies are the most common allergies?  This menu is mostly shellfish.  

The waiter asked if we had any food allergies before taking our orders.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Except for the 1/2 that is bacon, steak and desserts!

The steak is pre-plated with the shellfish.  If you ask for no shellfish they just take it off.  I know because I had an allergic reaction because the steak had touched the shellfish.