Solo traveler discrimination??

luvcruising2much

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

The OP was trying to claim victimhood and no one was having it.

I think that comment is unfair to the OP.

Go back and read post #1.  OP says they wanted to book as a single.  The problem is the booking site will not allow a solo to book, even if they want to pay for a double.  The OP asked if cruise lines can legally do this.  Seems like a pretty valid complaint to me.    BTW, I've encountered similar issues with online booking for two or three people.   It is very irritating and an issue worth sharing on a cruise forum.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

OP thought there was discrimination and that it was illegal. They got no support.  Not really any reason for them to return.

OP actually asked if it was legal for cruise ships to withhold a double from a solo, even if the solo was willing to pay for it.   Seems the short answer is "yes".    Pretty much covered by post #3.  

Edited by ldubs

In the mass market cruise industry, every cabin on every cruise is sold an average eight times before the cruise actually begins.

Mass market cruise lines rarely make any profit selling cruises.

They only make a profit when people spend money on the cruises.

Cruise lines have a multitude of opportunities to sell just about any cabin on just about any cruise.

Who should they choose to sell it to??

A single traveler who will spend an average amount of money onboard?

OR

A couple who will likely spend twice as much money onboard?

Most business minded people who like to stay in business would opt for the couple.

American Citizens who fly into the USA are not required to have vaccine proof or COVID tests.

Non-Americans who fly into the USA are required to prove vaccinations and expensive COVID tests.

Is this discrimination?

Non-American cruise ship passengers who disembark a ship in the USA are allowed to stay in the USA as long as their visa is valid.

Non-American cruise ship employees who disembark a ship in the USA MUST leave the country within 24 hours - regardless of any visa they might have.

Is this discrimination?

The United States Public Health Service, which governs many things that cruise ships do, forbids cruise ships - in most cases - to serve fresh fish to passengers, as the fish could have dangerous parasites that could harm them.

But it is perfectly OK with them if we serve that same fresh fish to the crewmembers.

Is this discrimination?

1 hour ago, Donald said:

In the mass market cruise industry, every cabin on every cruise is sold an average eight times before the cruise actually begins.

That is a sobering thought.  I would hate to deal with that.   I wonder how many are same people upgrading vs outright cancellations during the grace period.  I suppose this is the price they pay to lure folks in with refundable deposits.  

19 hours ago, Donald said:

The United States Public Health Service, which governs many things that cruise ships do, forbids cruise ships - in most cases - to serve fresh fish to passengers, as the fish could have dangerous parasites that could harm them.

But it is perfectly OK with them if we serve that same fresh fish to the crewmembers.

Is this discrimination?

Sorry, but the crew's food is under the same restrictions as the passenger's food, since an ill crew member could pass the disease to a passenger.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Donald said:

18 hours ago, ldubs said:

That is a sobering thought.  I would hate to deal with that.   I wonder how many are same people upgrading vs outright cancellations during the grace period.  I suppose this is the price they pay to lure folks in with refundable deposits.  

I wonder about the source of that assertion. On these boards 79% of the statistics posted are made up as the poster is typing. 

• Haha 5

23 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think that comment is unfair to the OP.

Go back and read post #1.  OP says they wanted to book as a single.  The problem is the booking site will not allow a solo to book, even if they want to pay for a double.  The OP asked if cruise lines can legally do this.  Seems like a pretty valid complaint to me.    BTW, I've encountered similar issues with online booking for two or three people.   It is very irritating and an issue worth sharing on a cruise forum.   

As soon as you throw in the notion that it is discrimination you are making yourself a victim.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

What if this discrimination applied to restaurants?  Two people at a table will generate more profit for the restaurant than one. I don't see how a business can discriminate against solos. I can understand why they do.

There are two restaurants here (I have encountered that elsewhere too) that if I show up solo ask me if I want to sit at the bar. There are always plenty of empty tables. I find that annoying. I always say no thank you I came to dine. They never make me sit at the bar. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

What if this discrimination applied to restaurants?  Two people at a table will generate more profit for the restaurant than one. I don't see how a business can discriminate against solos. I can understand why they do.

It sorta does in a reverse way.  Groups of 6 or more have a gratuity automatically added to the bill.  Groups of 5 or fewer have a voluntary gratuity.  Groups of 6 or more are discriminated against.  A perfectly legal policy.  Fair?  Probably so IMO.    I know, I know.  Kind of a stretch.   I think the point is it is often perfectly OK to recognize distinctions.   

24 minutes ago, ldubs said:

It sorta does in a reverse way.  Groups of 6 or more have a gratuity automatically added to the bill.  Groups of 5 or fewer have a voluntary gratuity.  Groups of 6 or more are discriminated against.  A perfectly legal policy.  Fair?  Probably so IMO.    I know, I know.  Kind of a stretch.   I think the point is it is often perfectly OK to recognize distinctions.   

"some" distinctions.  (sorry).

7 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

I wonder about the source of that assertion. On these boards 79% of the statistics posted are made up as the poster is typing. 

14 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I beg to differ --- I believe 83.275% of "facts" posted on these threads are the product of the fevered minds of the person posting.

Present company excepted of course! 😀😀😀

7 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

54 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I beg to differ --- I believe 83.275% of "facts" posted on these threads are the product of the fevered minds of the person posting.

Luckily, only 0.06% of Cruise Critic readers believe what they read here!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/7/2023 at 1:51 PM, mnocket said:

What is legal and what is right can be two different things.  

Discrimination is discrimination whether a protected class is involved or not and should be recognized as such.  While discrimination is only illegal if a protected class is involved, legal discrimination should not automatically be accepted.

Today it's solo cruisers, but tomorrow it could be many of us too.  Consider that age discrimination has already crept into cruising as a barrier to participating in some excursions (i.e. age being a proxy for ability).  Now imagine if cruise lines decided to apply the same rationale they use to discriminate against solo cruisers to the elderly.  Imagine if cruise lines decided to limit the number of passengers over a certain age because they determined those passengers were less profitable (i.e. spent less money onboard).

Discrimination is a slippery slope.  Today it's "them" and tomorrow it might be "you".

The problem is that the word "discrimination" is defined neutrally, but has a negative connotation.

Do you discriminate against Coke if you choose to buy Pepsi?  Well, according to the definition of discrimination, sure, but you certainly do not view it as doing anything wrong.  Do you discriminate against Carnival when you book a cruise with Celebrity?  Sure.  Do you discriminate against your neighbor because you treat your spouse to a cruise and not your neighbor?  Sure. 

There are cruiselines that cater to old people, or to rich people, or to young people, etc.  That is just normal business.  What do you suggest? 

19 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Sorry, but the crew's food is under the same restrictions as the passenger's food, since an ill crew member could pass the disease to a passenger.

Sorry Chief.

I work for USPH when I am not onboard a ship. In actual practice and inspections, sourcing of crew food does not have the same restrictions.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

You are correct to question things like that.

Many of the "Cruise experts" on this website have been one or two dozen or so cruises and consider themselves the final authority on cruising.

The poster in question has worked for more than a dozen cruise companies for several decades, and knows what he is talking about.