Current Breakdown of Gratuities as of January 2023 (with increase)

In 1990 we first cruised, and the cruise line highly gave written tip suggestions for only 3 staff members.  $2.50 per person per day for room steward and waiter, $1.25 pp/day for asst waiter.  

They then provided 3 envelopes. 

I guess that that means over the years other hotel service staff evolved from a salary position to a tipped position.

Just an observation.

Eddie

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

So if I never set foot in the MDR or WJ…

Last December, I asked about the food service split and was told on Brilliance no matter where you eat, this money only goes to the MDR staff. Nothing goes to WJ staff.

• Thanks 2

Guest phd1003
6 minutes ago, Notonaboat said:

Last December, I asked about the food service split and was told on Brilliance no matter where you eat, this money only goes to the MDR staff. Nothing goes to WJ staff.

Who did you ask?

Just now, phd1003 said:

Who did you ask?

Guest services. Two different people/times.
MDR isn’t my style and the folks in WJ were fantastic. I adjusted my allocation to send the dining tip to several WJ folks. Apparently to do that, Royal takes off all the tips and then adds them back in later. My room steward put the printed bill with no gratuities on the bed and I panicked. So I went back to Guest Services and they confirmed that WJ doesn’t get part of the dining tip and that my tip adjustment was mid-process when the statements were printed.

49 minutes ago, Notonaboat said:

It was posted on here, a long time ago, that MDR staff spend one week a month working in the WJ for dinner? service without tips. Right or wrong, that is just how their schedule is. I don't know anything more than that. But you are free to tip whomever in the WJ if you choose. 

Edited by Coralc

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, home-mom said:

This was ours this week from Radiance shown to me by guest services 

image.thumb.jpeg.4db766fad290491e38eccbbab56fd1fb.jpeg

A radiance ship would have a different breakdown from an oasis class ship due to varying duties and tipped positions on that ship.  I am sure they are both correct.  

Most positions that have anything to do with facing you or serving you are tipped.  I am surprised that the WJ people do not get tips, especially since I see main dining room waiters and assistant waiters working in there.  Everything changed in 2010.  Prior to that, It was pretty much only steward and dining room and they got it all but got paid $50 a month + tips.  

9 minutes ago, cruisin73 said:

If Staying in a Suite on Oasis does the tips go to Coastal Kitchen staff?  

yes. When you check in for dinner they print a slip with your cabin number as well as number to be dining. Then it is filed in their little divided box at desk to be turned in,  a slot for each day. 

This is how their tips are allocated from MDR. 

per Maitre D on Oasis. 

On 2/8/2023 at 4:37 PM, JimInBuffalo said:

Please see the information in the picture which represents the breakdown of your pre-paid daily gratuities as paid on Royal Caribbean as of January 2023. this list was obtained from the Customer Service desk on our latest cruise.

81A673D9-4838-4273-BC4C-40797AFFE37C.jpeg

3 hours ago, home-mom said:

This was ours this week from Radiance shown to me by guest services 

image.thumb.jpeg.4db766fad290491e38eccbbab56fd1fb.jpeg

The whole thing is a scam

• Like 6

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Exactly what are the varying duties and tipped positions between the different classes of ship?

Nobody knows exactly.  It depends on the number of positions,  the number and type of venues.  For example,  an oasis class ship

has a tremendous number of tipped positions a radiance doesnt have.  Most foward facing crew members get tipped.  Even the laundry guys get tips.  I was down there this week and that position is hell on wheels.  This station has 3 guys feeding sheets into the press one at a time all day long.  Its hot,  its back breaking and monotonous as a job can be.

51F30C02-5FE3-4C2A-A6A8-2A547E9529EF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1