Wearing Jeans for breakfast and lunch is it OK

getting older slowly

11 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I'm not sure why any Grill area is different from the rest of the ship.

No disrespect, but I'd go further and ask, why should the Grills or any part of a Cunard ship be any different from the way I dress for dinner at home?  Or the way I dress watching TV in my living room?  Why should I ever have to "dress up" anywhere at all.  Blue Jeans should be fine at the Oscars, at the Nobel Dinner, and at Royal weddings. Why does the world feel a need to dress up at all?  Tradition?  Taste? Fun?

Once upon a time, Cunard was all about maintaining those old standards of dress and behavior associated with the Golden age of the great luxury liners.  Most of us thought it was fun.  We weren't going to win a noble prize, but we could dress up and feel special in the lap of luxury.  It's what we came for.  I, for one, lament it's demise. 

32 minutes ago, pberk said:

No disrespect, but I'd go further and ask, why should the Grills or any part of a Cunard ship be any different from the way I dress for dinner at home?  Or the way I dress watching TV in my living room?  Why should I ever have to "dress up" anywhere at all.  Blue Jeans should be fine at the Oscars, at the Nobel Dinner, and at Royal weddings. Why does the world feel a need to dress up at all?  Tradition?  Taste? Fun?

Once upon a time, Cunard was all about maintaining those old standards of dress and behavior associated with the Golden age of the great luxury liners.  Most of us thought it was fun.  We weren't going to win a noble prize, but we could dress up and feel special in the lap of luxury.  It's what we came for.  I, for one, lament it's demise. 

The fact Cunard has tweaked its dress codes was not the subject of the selected part of my comment you have replied to and although I quite understand why many folk regret the passing of 'the past', times change and so you'll have to forgive me but I don't see the point you're making here other than to say things aren't what they used to be. In that, I agree, things have changed.

I quoted your 'Jeans in the Grills at any time makes me cringe.' and went on to say I wasn't sure what makes the Grills any different from the rest of the ship, clothes wise, before saying T wear jeans in QG, and this is the comment I addressed in post #21, the post you have part quoted.

I see no reason why standard of dress in the Grills' area is any different from the rest of the ship and I would wear the same if I booked an inside cabin or the largest cabin on the ship. If I am within any dress advisories and I make folk cringe, Britannia or QG, that's their problem, not mine. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Sometimes it is. Dripping bathing clothes in the lift very nasty. Any sort of bathing clothes in the restaurant not allowed. And crinolines in the corridors would probably cause a terrible holdup, but have great entertainment value.

Dripping  clothes is not about dress code , it's consideration for others.

However Cunard is one of the few lines that don't provide changing facilities by the pool.  Yes I know there are toilets, but there are not changing rooms

Jeans are not swim wear so are allowed anywhere in the day.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Dripping  clothes is not about dress code , it's consideration for others.

However Cunard is one of the few lines that don't provide changing facilities by the pool.  Yes I know there are toilets, but there are not changing rooms

Jeans are not swim wear so are allowed anywhere in the day.

I must have been imagining the changing rooms / showers by the Pavilion pool [QM2 deck 12] and port side on deck 12 by the 'Terrace pool'. [I don't know what is available on the QV & QE]

43 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

I must have been imagining the changing rooms / showers by the Pavilion pool [QM2 deck 12] and port side on deck 12 by the 'Terrace pool'. [I don't know what is available on the QV & QE]

My experience is with QE and QV with no changing rooms

48 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

My experience is with QE and QV with no changing rooms

Too late to edit my earlier post - but on QM2 the 'Terrace pool' is on deck 8 - unfortunately the changing room is right by the outdoor smoking area. The deck 6 'Splash pool' does not seem to have a changing area [it is next to the kid & teen zone - there may be facilities not shown on the deck plans.

There does not seem to be any changing facilities for the QM2 'Grills deck hot tub.

well in addition to my young friends sartorial statement the other day of ripped jeans "large enough to drive a Bentley through" last night he wore a magnificent  designer frock which could only be described as ........................................................magnificent.

Although not quite to my taste, I envy and enjoy his hutzpah.

Pics about to be loaded on my blog ....... any minute......

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have read these comments with interest.  My husband and I will take our first Cunard cruise later this year, and we will follow the dress code as best as we can. Last year, though, we were on a cruise with a different line.  There were three formal nights, and so my husband wore a rather new dark suit with new shirt, etc.    Most men wore dinner suits, but I noticed that some of the attire looked as if they had been in moth balls. Yes! I am exaggerating, am being unkind maybe;  however, I had mixed feelings watching them: on the one hand, I admired them for going to the trouble of “dressing up”; on the other hand, I felt a tad sad.  What are your thoughts?   My point may be that style is in the eyes of the beholder.

3 minutes ago, escrick said:

I have read these comments with interest.  My husband and I will take our first Cunard cruise later this year, and we will follow the dress code as best as we can. Last year, though, we were on a cruise with a different line.  There were three formal nights, and so my husband wore a rather new dark suit with new shirt, etc.    Most men wore dinner suits, but I noticed that some of the attire looked as if they had been in moth balls. Yes! I am exaggerating, am being unkind maybe;  however, I had mixed feelings watching them: on the one hand, I admired them for going to the trouble of “dressing up”; on the other hand, I felt a tad sad.  What are your thoughts?   My point may be that style is in the eyes of the beholder.

I don’t think the dress code says anything about age. As someone who still wears a dress I bought for my first voyage in 1997, I am very grateful for this. 🙂

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I don’t think the dress code says anything about age. As someone who still wears a dress I bought for my first voyage in 1997, I am very grateful for this. 🙂

And I am sure the dress looks wonderful.  I think I was a bit carried away in my other comment, and the subject was jeans, not formal wear.  Sorry for getting distracted.

37 minutes ago, escrick said:

What are your thoughts?

The wearer would need to look really out of place before I'm likely to notice.

I'd prefer to wear a well fitting dark suit, with shirt and tie rather than a dinner suit that was several sizes too big for me. I had two 25 year old dinner suits in perfect condition but they looked like tents since I've been a healthy weight for a few years.  I solved that by buying three new ones. One made online to bespoke measurements, and two from different UK tailors clearing stuff on eBay that had been in stockrooms too long.

I did wear shoes and a bow tie that were 25 years old and my wife wore several outfits that have been in wardrobes for a long time including one that we have photos of her wearing to a christening in April 2000.

Our main concern before we leave our cabin for the evening (or go out for a meal here) is that we are happy with how we are dressed, not what others might think.

If I'm going to pay attention to others, I'd prefer to see them dressing in formal wear that has been around a while on gala nights, than in jeans or other casual wear.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, godfreyb said:

On a recent QE cruise in PG, the maitre'd (who was wholly ineffective) allowed three older Japanese gentlemen to dine in jeans on every formal night.  

This sounds strange for Japanese passengers, our experience travelling with them is delightful both with  manners and the way they dress. Did you mention  you were not happy to the maitre'd , with great respect we meet many passengers who will not speak up. Other lines I certainly have and  thankfully on Cunard only once when one particular passenger came to breakfast in a gown. This is why we travel on Cunard wonderful one day perfect the next!

10 hours ago, escrick said:

And I am sure the dress looks wonderful.  I think I was a bit carried away in my other comment, and the subject was jeans, not formal wear.  Sorry for getting distracted.

I’d hardly say wonderful, but it looks OK, which is the most I’d ever aspire to. And just in case anyone is wondering about my ability to get in to it, it is loose fitting. 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, D&N said:

The wearer would need to look really out of place before I'm likely to notice.

I'd prefer to wear a well fitting dark suit, with shirt and tie rather than a dinner suit that was several sizes too big for me. I had two 25 year old dinner suits in perfect condition but they looked like tents since I've been a healthy weight for a few years.  I solved that by buying three new ones. One made online to bespoke measurements, and two from different UK tailors clearing stuff on eBay that had been in stockrooms too long.

I did wear shoes and a bow tie that were 25 years old and my wife wore several outfits that have been in wardrobes for a long time including one that we have photos of her wearing to a christening in April 2000.

Our main concern before we leave our cabin for the evening (or go out for a meal here) is that we are happy with how we are dressed, not what others might think.

If I'm going to pay attention to others, I'd prefer to see them dressing in formal wear that has been around a while on gala nights, than in jeans or other casual wear.

Well said and my addition to the first highlighted comment, ' it would have no effect on our enjoyment of the evening'.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, escrick said:

Victoria 2:  I love your attitude.  Anyone who enjoys life, cruising, will look good in any attire.  

Well to be fair, hopefully most passengers will have read the memo re dress advice. 🙂

However, that word 'enjoy'.

Enjoyment is paramount. I remember on one World Cruise [segments, not the full Monty] seeing a few elderly ladies sitting knitting one evening on the outside seats of the Queens Room, chatting and thoroughly enjoying the ship's ambiance. They were most definitely dressed for what some might defined as 'a cosy night in', slippers and all. Bearing in mind this was well before dress code tweaks, the Fashion Police would not have been Happy Bunnies if they had caught sight of the knitting gang, but we smiled as it was so nice to see them obviously enjoying themselves.

• Like 2

Double denim: "All the celebs and influencers are doing it"

It says so right here:

https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/gallery/double-denim-fashion-trend

I always considered the 70s as one of the best decades for music, and the worst for fashion. It's very amusing for this 1970s kid to see 70s fashions revived. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Well to be fair, hopefully most passengers will have read the memo re dress advice. 🙂

However, that word 'enjoy'.

Enjoyment is paramount. I remember on one World Cruise [segments, not the full Monty] seeing a few elderly ladies sitting knitting one evening on the outside seats of the Queens Room, chatting and thoroughly enjoying the ship's ambiance. They were most definitely dressed for what some might defined as 'a cosy night in', slippers and all. Bearing in mind this was well before dress code tweaks, the Fashion Police would not have been Happy Bunnies if they had caught sight of the knitting gang, but we smiled as it was so nice to see them obviously enjoying themselves.

You are correct, to enjoy life is paramount. I expect that I will enjoy our first cruise with Cunard immensely.  We have cruised with several lines, and have enjoyed every one. There are hiccups occasionally.   For instance,  my DH and I were isolated when we both caught Covid on a cruise last year. The good news is that we were absolutely pampered.  There was disappointment,  but we could not fault the way we were treated.

lady

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

This sounds strange for Japanese passengers, our experience travelling with them is delightful both with  manners and the way they dress. Did you mention  you were not happy to the maitre'd , with great respect we meet many passengers who will not speak up. Other lines I certainly have and  thankfully on Cunard only once when one particular passenger came to breakfast in a gown. This is why we travel on Cunard wonderful one day perfect the next!

All the other Japanese passengers were very well turned out.  I did not complain about the maitre'd directly, but he left on leave when the QE reached Yokahama.  He didn't get a tip from me and I made clear to the maitre'd who took over, who was everything the previous maitre'd was not, what a waste of space his colleague was.

Not having been in PG or Cunard for ten years, i assumed that the original maitre'd was part of the reductions in service in PG, but I was incorrect in that.  However, the quality of food has deteriorated from the past.  While half of the time the main courses were delicious, the other half they were not - cheaper cuts of meat, tough beef.  And what's with, for the most part, reducing the number of main courses offered from five to four, two of which were vegetarian?  I did write that in my review.

On 2/8/2023 at 11:14 PM, getting older slowly said:

We are packing light and generally travel / board in blue jeans. polo and runners

it is ok for lunch ??

Just curious, now that you have completed the voyage, how would you answer your own question? 

I would have assumed that it would be fine but would value your take based on your experience. 

Thanks

Jack

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Just curious, now that you have completed the voyage, how would you answer your own question? 

I would have assumed that it would be fine but would value your take based on your experience. 

Thanks

Jack

Look at comment #9 for answer. 

44 minutes ago, NE John said:

Look at comment #9 for answer. 

Thanks NE John. I looked at #9 but don’t see where they addressed the question about blue jeans, polo’s & runners in PG dining room for breakfast and lunch. It’s probably right there in front of me but not seeing the answer to OP’s original question. 
Thanks

Jack