The $36 laundry bag. Is it worth it?

dltaeg

I'm not doing laundry while I'm on vacation.  We send out underwear, undershirts and socks in the boil and fry bag on day 4 or 5.  Sometimes on day 1 I'll send collared shirts and a suit for pressing depending on how they come out of the suitcase. I hate looking like a homeless guy on formal night.

22 hours ago, IanFaith said:

I've just bought one of these to try on my next cruise:-

https://thescrubba.com

Not cheap, but cheaper than the laundry bag and should pay for itself over the long-run.

(Interested to hear if anybody has experience of using one, too!)

That's actually how I got the dry bag idea! 

1 hour ago, jencruzin said:

We've brought one of the TIDE plastic squeeze bags you get in the dollar store and have washed some items in the sink before, soaked before dinner, came back, then we rinsed well, then hung out to dry.

Totally agree...important to soak a bit.  I let several pieces at a time soak in my laundry tub....then, agitate well, take out one at a time to rinse in sink, roll, and dry.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Did you read the thread? Many pointed our alternatives to it being a must. Can't figure out your conclusion. 

Fred, it's my conclusion.  It doesn't have to be yours.  I answered the question, my way.  You can answer it any way you want to.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is the $36 paper laundry bag offered during the beginning of the cruise?

We're spending some time in the embarkation port before our cruise and then time at the disembark port post cruise. We pack light. I can see us wanting at least clean undies, socks and pjs. If we can turn them in the first or second day of the cruise, that'd be great.  

I use a 10L dry bag.  Easy to agitate after you roll the top down.  Soak for awhile in the shower or tub. Very lightweight to pack. I roll in towels and hang as others describe. Boil and fry bags for underwear, socks and nightwear.  I don't need to do laundry unless we exceed 10 days or so. I'm not a minimal packer.

2 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

We're spending some time in the embarkation port before our cruise and then time at the disembark port post cruise. We pack light. I can see us wanting at least clean undies, socks and pjs. If we can turn them in the first or second day of the cruise, that'd be great.  

Yes

2 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

You can turn it in any day ( well, not the last day) . Ask the cabin attendant for the Wash and Form.  It is not the laundry form attached to the laundry bag in the closet. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

21 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Did you read the thread? Many pointed our alternatives to it being a must. Can't figure out your conclusion. 

It is pretty much a must. Despite what you read on the internet,,,, the vast majority of people are not doing laundry in their bathroom sinks. 

We, for one, have never done laundry in a bathroom sink. And almost always do a fluff-n-fold so that we don't have to pack as much. 

Edited by BirdTravels

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

It is pretty much a must. Despite what you read on the internet,,,, the vast majority of people are not doing laundry in their bathroom sinks. 

We, for one, have never done laundry in a bathroom sink. And almost always do a fluff-n-fold so that we don't have to pack as much. 

Exactly!

For general consumption:

Is it worth $36.00?  No.  Is it handy if you need it?  Yes, but not a bargain for what you get.  If you are on a longer cruise and you didn't quite pack enough underwear or shirts or or or *, you may need it.  But, in no case am I or my wife going to do laundry in the bathroom sink.  That's why it's called a vacation.  If someone thinks that paying an absurd price for something that is a needed commodity, then I guess you can say it is worth it. I don't!  I will say though, they do a great job.

*Full disclosure:  We do use the ship's laundry when needed, once or twice and I hated doing it.   I'm cheap!

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Exactly!

For general consumption:

Is it worth $36.00?  No.  Is it handy if you need it?  Yes, but not a bargain for what you get.  If you are on a longer cruise and you didn't quite pack enough underwear or shirts or or or *, you may need it.  But, in no case am I or my wife going to do laundry in the bathroom sink.  That's why it's called a vacation.  If someone thinks that paying an absurd price for something that is a needed commodity, then I guess you can say it is worth it. I don't!  I will say though, they do a great job.

*Full disclosure:  We do use the ship's laundry when needed, once or twice and I hated doing it.   I'm cheap!

Free for D+ up.

1 minute ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Free for D+ up.

Yep.  I cruise every other cruise in Star Class (fact, not bragging) and it's included, unlimited.  When we don't do Star Class, that's when I get cheap and only use it out of necessity.  

• Like 1

I'm curious as to what is always the big fear about traveling with luggage. People act like they are committing to having it strapped to their back for the entire trip. I don't think I have my (wheeled) suitcase in my possession for more than an hour for the entire trip. I'm not paying $36 to wash a few socks and undies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I'm curious as to what is always the big fear about traveling with luggage. People act like they are committing to having it strapped to their back for the entire trip. I don't think I have my (wheeled) suitcase in my possession for more than an hour for the entire trip. I'm not paying $36 to wash a few socks and undies.

It all started with airlines charging for luggage. 

22 hours ago, Joebucks said:

What do you pay for checked bags on the flight?  

Edited by island lady

5 hours ago, island lady said:

What do you pay for checked bags on the flight?  

I see where you are going with this. If the goal is to "save" $20 by having someone clean my underwear, I don't know that this is a runaway deal. My suitcase fits my snorkel gear, wine, multiple pairs of shoes, sunscreen, etc. I don't need to rent inferior equipment or pay exorbitant costs for those things. On my last trip, I brought back 2 alcohol bottles that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise do. I've gone on short trips before where we combine suitcases. 

I'm a very frugal traveler. My luggage scenario varies on the trip. With that said, flying without what I need, isn't high on my list.

For $36, take all your old socks, t shirts and underwear, buy one package of new items at WMT, throw away the dirty old  stuff and then start wearing the new items.  When I once took a suit on a cruise, I took an old one that was on its last legs and left that in the trash also.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I see where you are going with this. If the goal is to "save" $20 by having someone clean my underwear, I don't know that this is a runaway deal. My suitcase fits my snorkel gear, wine, multiple pairs of shoes, sunscreen, etc. I don't need to rent inferior equipment or pay exorbitant costs for those things. On my last trip, I brought back 2 alcohol bottles that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise do. I've gone on short trips before where we combine suitcases. 

I'm a very frugal traveler. My luggage scenario varies on the trip. With that said, flying without what I need, isn't high on my list.

Just back from PR...had to pay 30.00 for two and 40.00 for the third suitcase each way on Jet Blue for our B2B2B cruise.  I have no problems at all hand washing light loads during slack times.  The 36.00 bag is free for us, AKA "boil and fry", so I use it.  It is fine for cotton undies, exercise clothes, cotton socks and t-shirt.  I would not put anything else in that bag.  

They also send us 3 bottles of wine per week for free, so no schlepping wine on board either.  

But if I am like you...don't do any laundry at all, and just pack extra suitcases...how many will I need for my World Cruise?  😉 

20 hours ago, island lady said:

Just back from PR...had to pay 30.00 for two and 40.00 for the third suitcase each way on Jet Blue for our B2B2B cruise.  I have no problems at all hand washing light loads during slack times.  The 36.00 bag is free for us, AKA "boil and fry", so I use it.  It is fine for cotton undies, exercise clothes, cotton socks and t-shirt.  I would not put anything else in that bag.  

They also send us 3 bottles of wine per week for free, so no schlepping wine on board either.  

But if I am like you...don't do any laundry at all, and just pack extra suitcases...how many will I need for my World Cruise?  😉 

I wouldn't say needing a third suitcase for a person is a normal scenario. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I wouldn't say needing a third suitcase for a person is a normal scenario. 

Two adults...one normal suitcase each, plus a duffle bag that slips over one of them.  This is needed for a 3 week cruise we just returned from, and the Wonder 4 week cruise we did earlier this year. 

All combined:  1+1+1 = 3.    Yes, that duffle bag counts as a checked bag. 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

Two adults...one normal suitcase each, plus a duffle bag that slips over one of them.  This is needed for a 3 week cruise we just returned from, and the Wonder 4 week cruise we did earlier this year. 

All combined:  1+1+1 = 3.    Yes, that duffle bag counts as a checked bag. 

Pat, we take 3 pieces of checked luggage (26"). I also take small back pack with our valuables in it. Kathy has her purse, with... well that's a mystery bag. Over packers for sure and we still use the CAS boil n bake bags for underwear and socks.  😁 

• Like 1