Update 2/9/23: Princess to visit Yorktown, Va in 2024

LACruiser88

February 9, 2023 9:00 AM EST

Yorktown, Va., to be Featured on Princess' 2024 Schedule, First Major Oceangoing Cruise Line to Visit Virginia's Historic Triangle

America's Earliest Settlements, Revolutionary War Sites and Charming Small Towns Provide Guests with Unique Experiences Ashore  

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., Feb. 9, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- For the first time ever, Princess Cruises will call at Yorktown, Va. and Virginia's Historic Triangle, as part of a series of custom-curated itineraries in summer 2024 that will highlight opportunities to experience Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown in addition to visiting the historic seaside town. 

Princess Cruises is planning five day-long calls – three via Island Princess (2,200 guests/900 crew) and two via Emerald Princess (3,080 guests/1,200 crew) – that will result in a significant economic impact to the region, which has played an important role in American history.

Additional details, including specific sailing dates, itineraries and shore excursions, are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

"Princess is already well known for our unique itineraries that appeal to our guests who gravitate toward interesting historical and cultural opportunities and Yorktown is perfectly in tune with that philosophy, offering not only a glimpse at the Revolutionary War but also dining, shopping and activity options with wide-ranging appeal. It's a win-win for everyone," said John Padgett, president of Princess Cruises.

Padgett added that the new itineraries are even more significant as interest builds ahead of events and festivities across Virginia to commemorate the 250th anniversaries of the Revolutionary War and the Declaration of Independence.

"Our community is rooted in history and it is an important part of our visitor mix. We are honored that Princess Cruises sees the value in bringing their customers to Yorktown," said Kristi Olsen-Hayes, Director, York County Economic & Tourism Development. "Additional visitors coming to our area via the cruise line would contribute to the region's economy, benefiting retail, restaurants, and regional attractions, as well as generating revenue for both the Commonwealth and multiple local governments." 

As the first major cruise line to call on the region, Princess understands and appreciates the significant role it plays in boosting area tourism and, as it does with other homeport and port of call communities, the company will work with local tour operators to showcase the attributes of this fascinating historical region while benefiting local residents.

"We couldn't be more excited about this incredible opportunity to add this truly unforgettable destination experience to our already impressive array of itineraries," said Padgett. "As a native Virginian myself, I can attest that an itinerary that offers the chance to visit Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown promises to be a most welcome addition for our guests, providing them memorable vacation experiences that they can't find anywhere else."

Yorktown offers 300 years of history from revolutionary battlefields to 18th Century homes. Picturesque streets provide the backdrop for art galleries, antique and specialty shops, while attractions like the Watermen's Museum offer hands-on programs and exhibits for all ages. Entertainment, including Fifes and Drums performances, abounds, and visitors can stroll along the scenic riverwalk lined with charming restaurants and shops that offer a view of the York River.

Sure to be a popular shore excursion, a visit to Colonial Williamsburg will allow guests to discover why this was the capital of Virginia and the largest, most prosperous American colony. Men and women from all walks of life strolled these streets, and Princess guests will follow in their footsteps as they re-trace history.

They'll also explore dozens of original buildings, homes, and shops reconstructed on 301 acres – most on their original foundations. Rare animal breeds, historic trades, and lovingly restored gardens add layers of authenticity to the Colonial Williamsburg experience. Guests will feel as if they've traveled back in time.

Guests opting to visit Jamestown, just a short, 30-minute motorcoach ride from the port, will be captivated by the history behind the original site of the first permanent English settlement in North America and the story of the role of the three cultures - European, North American and African - that came together to lay the foundation for a uniquely American form of democratic government, language, free enterprise and society.

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

February 9, 2023 9:00 AM EST

Yorktown, Va., to be Featured on Princess' 2024 Schedule, First Major Oceangoing Cruise Line to Visit Virginia's Historic Triangle

America's Earliest Settlements, Revolutionary War Sites and Charming Small Towns Provide Guests with Unique Experiences Ashore  

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., Feb. 9, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- For the first time ever, Princess Cruises will call at Yorktown, Va. and Virginia's Historic Triangle, as part of a series of custom-curated itineraries in summer 2024 that will highlight opportunities to experience Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown in addition to visiting the historic seaside town. 

Princess Cruises is planning five day-long calls – three via Island Princess (2,200 guests/900 crew) and two via Emerald Princess (3,080 guests/1,200 crew) – that will result in a significant economic impact to the region, which has played an important role in American history.

Additional details, including specific sailing dates, itineraries and shore excursions, are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

"Princess is already well known for our unique itineraries that appeal to our guests who gravitate toward interesting historical and cultural opportunities and Yorktown is perfectly in tune with that philosophy, offering not only a glimpse at the Revolutionary War but also dining, shopping and activity options with wide-ranging appeal. It's a win-win for everyone," said John Padgett, president of Princess Cruises.

Padgett added that the new itineraries are even more significant as interest builds ahead of events and festivities across Virginia to commemorate the 250th anniversaries of the Revolutionary War and the Declaration of Independence.

"Our community is rooted in history and it is an important part of our visitor mix. We are honored that Princess Cruises sees the value in bringing their customers to Yorktown," said Kristi Olsen-Hayes, Director, York County Economic & Tourism Development. "Additional visitors coming to our area via the cruise line would contribute to the region's economy, benefiting retail, restaurants, and regional attractions, as well as generating revenue for both the Commonwealth and multiple local governments." 

As the first major cruise line to call on the region, Princess understands and appreciates the significant role it plays in boosting area tourism and, as it does with other homeport and port of call communities, the company will work with local tour operators to showcase the attributes of this fascinating historical region while benefiting local residents.

"We couldn't be more excited about this incredible opportunity to add this truly unforgettable destination experience to our already impressive array of itineraries," said Padgett. "As a native Virginian myself, I can attest that an itinerary that offers the chance to visit Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown promises to be a most welcome addition for our guests, providing them memorable vacation experiences that they can't find anywhere else."

Yorktown offers 300 years of history from revolutionary battlefields to 18th Century homes. Picturesque streets provide the backdrop for art galleries, antique and specialty shops, while attractions like the Watermen's Museum offer hands-on programs and exhibits for all ages. Entertainment, including Fifes and Drums performances, abounds, and visitors can stroll along the scenic riverwalk lined with charming restaurants and shops that offer a view of the York River.

Sure to be a popular shore excursion, a visit to Colonial Williamsburg will allow guests to discover why this was the capital of Virginia and the largest, most prosperous American colony. Men and women from all walks of life strolled these streets, and Princess guests will follow in their footsteps as they re-trace history.

They'll also explore dozens of original buildings, homes, and shops reconstructed on 301 acres – most on their original foundations. Rare animal breeds, historic trades, and lovingly restored gardens add layers of authenticity to the Colonial Williamsburg experience. Guests will feel as if they've traveled back in time.

Guests opting to visit Jamestown, just a short, 30-minute motorcoach ride from the port, will be captivated by the history behind the original site of the first permanent English settlement in North America and the story of the role of the three cultures - European, North American and African - that came together to lay the foundation for a uniquely American form of democratic government, language, free enterprise and society.

Thank you for the latest news! Appreciate it, as always.

• Like 1

We may now have a sense of what the Emerald is doing probably doing in summer 2024. Sounds like it will be likely sailing out of Boston or New York and the Island will probably be visiting in there in May and June 2024 before heading over to Europe.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/york-county/princess-cruises-will-stop-in-yorktown-beginning-in-2024-state-lawmakers-propose-7-5m-for-pier/

Not a lot to do in Yorktown.  To far to go 

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

How about some overpriced bus excursions to Williamsburg?

They will probably have some of those. Traffic could be a nightmare depending on the time of day and any constant road construction.

49 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Not a lot to do in Yorktown.  To far to go 

They will probably have some of those. Traffic could be a nightmare depending on the time of day and any constant road construction.

I went into the area once on a Canadian Coast Guard ship; they (USN) squirreled us away in Cheatham Annex... I think Yorktown would have been a dream in comparison.

Hoping against hope here I know, but a great possibility for an itinerary stopping in Yorktown would be Bermuda. We did our first ever trip to Bermuda this past summer out of Manhattan and one stop was Norfolk, a short distance from Yorktown. We would love to have Princess go to Bermuda out of New York, we'd probably do it once a year.

18 hours ago, sttopmh said:

For most of us on the East Coast, it's easy enough to drive to Colonial Williamsburg and just buy admission tickets and stay at a nice hotel.

Agree but if Princess started using the area as a departure port, that would be wonderful. I keep waiting for Princess to start leaving from Baltimore but that's not happening anytime soon.  

20 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Hoping against hope here I know, but a great possibility for an itinerary stopping in Yorktown would be Bermuda. We did our first ever trip to Bermuda this past summer out of Manhattan and one stop was Norfolk, a short distance from Yorktown. We would love to have Princess go to Bermuda out of New York, we'd probably do it once a year.

I’m hoping for the same thing. 

52 minutes ago, akeasley said:

Agree but if Princess started using the area as a departure port, that would be wonderful. I keep waiting for Princess to start leaving from Baltimore but that's not happening anytime soon.  

I wish they would too, but not many of their ships would fit under the bridge. I heard the Maryland was looking into plans a year or so ago about developing a pier in the Baltimore area that can accommodate larger ships. Not sure if anything came of it other than a feasibility study. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, akeasley said:

Not going to happen at Yorktown.  Look at the mess the state made at the cruise terminal in  Norfolk.  I wish Princess would homeport on the East Coast midway between New York and Fort Lauderdale also.

• Like 2

I'm intrigued by this - more, perhaps, than I ought to be.  🙃  Here's another article with more details:  Details Emerge in Wake of Princess Cruises Yorktown Announcement | Williamsburg Yorktown Daily (wydaily.com)

TL,DR:

• It's part of a pilot/test
  • It will be a tender port
  • Mostly weekday stops
  • All will be daytime visits, around 8-ish AM to 5-ish PM
  • No supplies will be picked up by the ship here, nor will trash be disposed of here

These, of course, don't answer the really big questions - when, where, and how?  My search today still shows the Island in Europe for the whole summer.  They'd have to pull them out in order to serve this new stop.  I guess they're willing to do this, but why?  Emerald is currently showing only one Caribbean cruise in June, so moving them there would be much easier.  

This also leaves the question of where they would base these ships and what else is on the itinerary.

Also, I'm sure it only affects me, but I wonder if one or more of them will have an 80s theme - the 1780s!  😁  Tricorn hat here I come!!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I actually have an update for this.  I received a call from (censored!) thanking me for writing a kind letter to Mr. Padgett about my recent cruise.  I asked about Yorktown in that letter, and this is the relevant portion of what she said to me (I assume it wasn't FMEO; if Princess raps my knuckles about this, you'll know where I won't be):

• The first cruise going there will be on June 4, 2024
  • It will be on the Island Princess
  • No bookings available yet, but...
  • They should be available in about two weeks

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here's another update on Yorktown.  I was randomly surfing the Princess site and I actually found a cruise that's going there.  The direct link is at https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details/?voyageCode=E415 .  And here are some of the details:

• It's on the Emerald Princess
  • The cruise is a 14-day one-way trip from Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) to Quebec City
  • It's from June 19 through July 3, 2024
  • Yorktown is one of 5 stops along the east coast of the U.S.
  • It's the second stop, after Charleston, South Carolina
  • The stop will be on Sunday, June 23 and will last from 8 AM to 6 PM
  • I didn't see any available excursions for Yorktown yet

It's a VERY unique itinerary that I'm attracted to in some ways and repelled by in others.  I'll study it in my spare time.  Try not to reserve all the cheapo cabins before I make up my mind, OK? 🙂

7 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Here's another update on Yorktown.  I was randomly surfing the Princess site and I actually found a cruise that's going there.  The direct link is at https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details/?voyageCode=E415 .  And here are some of the details:

• The cruise is a 14-day one-way trip from Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) to Quebec City

It's a VERY unique itinerary that I'm attracted to in some ways and repelled by in others.  I'll study it in my spare time.  Try not to reserve all the cheapo cabins before I make up my mind, OK? 🙂

We did a 16 night trip from Quebec to FLL one year and stopped in Norfolk, VA (along with Charleston).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I have already booked the opposite cruise Quebec City to FLL in October 2024. Very interesting itinerary. We plan to fly into Montreal spend a couple of days there and the train to Quebec City

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have already booked the opposite cruise Quebec City to FLL in October 2024. Very interesting itinerary. We plan to fly into Montreal spend a couple of days there and the train to Quebec City

Thanks. I took a look at this version. Another Sunday stop in Yorktown, curiously enough. I'm more likely to book the earlier northbound sailing, but I'd like to thank Princess for doing this. I wonder what the Island is going to offer.

Another update on the sailings to Yorktown.  Princess did a press release on this and @LACruiser88 kindly established a thread on this at 

TL,DR:  

Colonial Heritage – Island Princess – 10/11 days: Roundtrip from New York visiting Charleston, Boston, Halifax, Newport (on select cruises) and Yorktown. Cruises depart June 4; June 14; June 25, 2024.

(goes on sale May 25)

NEW! Canada & Colonial America – Emerald Princess – 14 Days: From Ft. Lauderdale to Québec (More Ashore overnight) visiting Charleston, Yorktown, New York City, Newport, Boston, Sydney (Cape Breton Island) and Saguenay. Cruise departs June 19, 2024.

NEW! Canada & Colonial America – Emerald Princess – 14 Days: From Québec (More Ashore overnight) to Ft. Lauderdale, visiting Halifax, Portland, Boston, New York City, Yorktown and Charleston. Cruise departs October 17, 2024.

(we already know about the above two; they're just listed for completeness)

• Like 1