Traveling with Toddlers-Incorrect Gender on Birth Certificate

Samatha0123

Guest BasicSailor
2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The folks answering the phones generally don't actual experience working at a cruise terminal. 

Agree, only in reality. 😉

What a crazy predicament the hospital has placed you in. Is there no way a replacement birth certificate can be expedited?  Also, did you happen to book using a TA. If so, have them call carnival and find out. You need answers from Carnival…and not just a random at the call center….someone with specialized knowledge. 

I tend to side in the camp that this won't be a problem. Bring copies of the paperwork that you submitted to make the correction. The worst I can see happening is that a sharp eyed CBP officer might huff and puff and possibly send you to secondary inspection. There you'll tell your story and likely be on your way in a short time. 

• Like 2

The best case scenario is that no one will notice. I wouldn't take chances with incorrect government issued paperwork, especially anything that involves travel out of the country with a small child. It could become a nightmare. As others have recommended, call or email someone at the passport office. Get names. Good luck and happy sailing!

On 2/11/2023 at 5:19 AM, tmarquez said:

Please check with someone at Carnival and US Customs. 

I had an odd situation happen returning from a cruise with my 2yo.  Customs reviewed her birth certificate and also attempted to question her asking if we were her parents (she was a super extroverted talker but the way they aggressively questioned her all she would do is hide her head).  I don't want to imagine what could have happened if her stats didn't match the birth certificate.  

Exactly! I was trying to clear customs with my 5yo granddaughter. They separated us to make sure she should enter (mom's Asian, dad's Mexican Indian,  I'm white). Ordered me to step away. She wouldn't answer, finally her brother told her to say something to what she tearfully answered "I don't talk to strangers" and said "gamma" as she reached back to me. Fortunately agent laughed it off and we entered US. (entering from Mexico 12 yrs ago but alot might have changed)

Can OP get a new same day birth cert?

14 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

As someone who checks in passengers, I am looking at a two year old child who appears to be a girl, with a name like Emma Rose Smith, traveling with parents Kaitlyn and Mason Smith, I am going to embark the family.   

I do hope that port pier staff are aware that many women do not change their names upon marriage and that the staff don't use identical last names as a criteria for determining family relationships (can hold true for blended families and other circumstances as well).

3 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I do hope that port pier staff are aware that many women do not change their names upon marriage and that the staff don't use identical last names as a criteria for determining family relationships (can hold true for blended families and other circumstances as well).

I didn't change my name, so I understand.  

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I didn't change my name, so I understand.  

Triple  whammy for me - didn't change my name, daughter has my husband's last name, and we all know that a brunette woman couldn't possible give birth to a daughter with red hair 🙄

I have done a lot of educating for those officious staff that needed to be educate on living in the then twentieth century, now twenty first century, and bring them up to speed on legal US requirements for women as labeled property and genetics.

On 2/10/2023 at 2:45 PM, Samatha0123 said:

Thank you, I was just very concerned that if the information I put into the online check in didn't match the birth certificate gender we wouldn't be able to board. Thank you for making me feel better. I called the carnival line number, but the rep was no help.

In this day and age, gender questions are something most people would not even wade into. I doubt anyone would notice or mention it, even if the kid was older, especially if the kid was older. 

Have you gone back to the hospital to see if they can fix this or give you something official -looking while you wait for paperwork? They will have documentation in their records that she was born a girl and should be able to give you something proving that they delivered a girl. Hopefully, it will embarrass them some as well and also give you some peace about this so you can enjoy your vacation.  

18 hours ago, Ombud said:

Exactly! I was trying to clear customs with my 5yo granddaughter. They separated us to make sure she should enter (mom's Asian, dad's Mexican Indian,  I'm white). Ordered me to step away. She wouldn't answer, finally her brother told her to say something to what she tearfully answered "I don't talk to strangers" and said "gamma" as she reached back to me. Fortunately agent laughed it off and we entered US. (entering from Mexico 12 yrs ago but alot might have changed)

Can OP get a new same day birth cert?

Entering from a land border is different than re-entering on a closed loop cruise. The risk of human trafficking is also much lower for a closed loop cruise (and probably cruises in general). All passengers are vetted by CBP while the cruise is ongoing (which is why clearing Customs at the end of the cruise is so fast) and if they look at documents at all it is very cursory. When we disembarked from our cruise in February they didn't even look at anyone's documents, they stood outside their checkpoints and smiled at everyone as they went by (probably because there were no flagged passengers that they needed to be looking for or any other passenger concerns). 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Entering from a land border is different than re-entering on a closed loop cruise. The risk of human trafficking is also much lower for a closed loop cruise (and probably cruises in general). All passengers are vetted by CBP while the cruise is ongoing (which is why clearing Customs at the end of the cruise is so fast) and if they look at documents at all it is very cursory. When we disembarked from our cruise in February they didn't even look at anyone's documents, they stood outside their checkpoints and smiled at everyone as they went by (probably because there were no flagged passengers that they needed to be looking for or any other passenger concerns). 

It was a cruise to Mexico