I took one for the team: Pork and Beans

rmalbers

Not sure if this has been posted before but I thought in the name of 'research' I would try the pork and beans.  Summary, I'm not a fan but here is what you get:  (actually, it looks better in the picture than it was, LOL) 

20230202_181836.jpg

Edited by rmalbers
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

Not sure if this has been posted before but I thought in the name of 'research' I would try the pork and beans.  Summary, I'm not a fan but here is what you get:  (actually, it looks better in the picture than it was, LOL) 

I'll order that on our March Apex cruise if it's on the menu. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dlh015 said:

Well, I certainly didn't expect it to look like Campbells...lol...

As discussed before, they really should come up with a different name...

How about Swine A'La  Legume?  🤔  

Funny I was rolling on your comment  LOL🤣

3 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Well that is certainly a whole lot of pork on that plate.  All I can offer is my observation that Celebrity doesn’t seem to be scaling back on the portion size on this one.🤣

All part of their master plan, first shrink the portion size of the food, then shrink the plates, then shrink the tables and then add more tables

image.thumb.png.3ccd2697ead7053da33ca0d438bd9fc2.png

• Haha 3

We just did a back to back on the Equinox and passed on this the first cruise due to the name.  We saw it at the table next to us and ordered it on the second cruise....it was delicious.  Moral of the story.... don't get cute with the names.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The first time we seen Pork and Beans on the menu we had a good laugh.  The waiter explained what it was.  Celebrity was just have some fun like Air Line Chicken.   Who would want to have the chicken that they serve on the airlines?  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

10 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Anyone have a picture of the Pigs Feet Carpaccio.

Pigs feet if cooked right can be quite tasty—the thick skin and tendons if tenderized are quite succulent

From what I read it is a French delicacy.  Many items on the menu are French.   Look at the menus.   .  Snails is one.  People eat snails.   We had snails in our fish tank to keep it clean.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

33 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Anyone have a picture of the Pigs Feet Carpaccio.

Pigs feet if cooked right can be quite tasty—the thick skin and tendons if tenderized are quite succulent

I saw a recent picture of it on FB. Some gelatinous thing on a plate. You couldn’t pay me to try it.

3 hours ago, wdr59911 said:

We just did a back to back on the Equinox and passed on this the first cruise due to the name.  We saw it at the table next to us and ordered it on the second cruise....it was delicious.  Moral of the story.... don't get cute with the names.   

I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Thanks for the report.  I think Celebrity's problem is that they didn't get cute enough with the name.  Most people know (or think they know) what P&B is.  I think they'd do better if they put some foreign words in the title.

While there are many foods that have their origins in a low cost meat being used because better cuts could not be afforded, I just laugh when I see them on a cruise ship dining room menu. Many cultures refer to them as "peasant food" and they have evolved to be a very tasty use for those cuts of meat that need to tenderize in some way to be edible.

I eat many of them at home by choice, but I cruise to have food that I am too lazy to make at home.

Snicker worthy  items that appear on MDR menus on various cruise lines are the various shanks of various animals (yes, osso buco is a peasant food), short ribs, pork belly, grits (or polenta which is basically the same low cost carbohydrate), meat loaf, and fried chicken (especially wings).

Do I enjoy pig's feet? Yes, very much so (pickled or simmered in a sauce). Do I want it in a cruise line dining room for dinner? No.

13 hours ago, miched said:

From what I read it is a French delicacy.  Many items on the menu are French.   Look at the menus.   .  Snails is one.  People eat snails.   We had snails in our fish tank to keep it clean.   

Someone needs to do a lot more reading about cuisines of other countries and broaden their food experiences..

Snails and pig's feet are not restricted to the French and , frankly (no ethnic pun intended), France is not the first country I think of when it comes to those two food items.

14 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

I saw a recent picture of it on FB. Some gelatinous thing on a plate. You couldn’t pay me to try it.

If that is the case then Celebrity has done a great disservice to pigs feet.  Why try to transform it into some blob in an attempt to hide the origin of the food item?  Just serve it in its original form (cooked of course).

Same thing with chicken feet, an ox's tail, pig's ear, beef tongue, and other variations of food from an animal's extremities.

23 hours ago, rmalbers said:

20230202_181836.jpg

That look better than most of,y meals in Luminae on beyond a couple of months ago 

• Thanks 1