What is Happening With The Tiles

mcrcruiser

In December 2022  on Koningsdam we did not get them  . They claimed we would get them on the next cruise  .Has this happened to other people & did you really get 2 tiles or 3 tiles & what is going on with the medallions .We did not get our first medallion yet 

We also did a Christmas/ New Year's back to back on the Konigsdam- 2022-23.

First cruise - no tiles available, with apologies. Second cruise - the New Years, we did get our Pinnacle class tile.  So they must have been delivered in San Diego on the B2B turn-around day. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

We also did a Christmas/ New Year's back to back on the Konigsdam- 2022-23.

First cruise - no tiles available, with apologies. Second cruise - the New Years, we did get our Pinnacle class tile.  So they must have been delivered in San Diego on the B2B turn-around day. 

We left the ship Dec 22nd  ;as we have all family members gathered for the Holidays   ,4 adult children & spouses , 7adult grand children & spouses & 5 great grand children 

On Eurodam last month, they said the tile program was being suspended due to supply chain issues. There was a letter explaining this delivered along with the daily program one day.

I don't know about the medallions, but there was no Mariner brunch on my cruise. If there was any ceremony, I don't know about it. But I think only people getting medallions are invited to the ceremony, so I wouldn't have heard about it as I'm not due to get any "hardware" soon.  

Huh… over the summer, we were on the Westerdam. Lots of cabins around us had tiles in the mailbox one day, we asked our steward and he said it was only for 3* and up. We questioned this, mentioning we’ve always gotten them before. He said he would try to get us one, and he did. But, I figured it was some weird thing on that cruise. 

now, I wonder where I put them. 😂

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

In December 2022  on Koningsdam we did not get them  . They claimed we would get them on the next cruise  .Has this happened to other people & did you really get 2 tiles or 3 tiles & what is going on with the medallions .We did not get our first medallion yet 

if the cruise is long enough, you will get the tiles at a luncheon, or sometimes on your bed at the end of a cruise. First medallion? I got my first medallion at 100 days at sea and looking forward to my 300 days at sea medallion.

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

On Eurodam last month, they said the tile program was being suspended due to supply chain issues. There was a letter explaining this delivered along with the daily program one day.

I don't know about the medallions, but there was no Mariner brunch on my cruise. If there was any ceremony, I don't know about it. But I think only people getting medallions are invited to the ceremony, so I wouldn't have heard about it as I'm not due to get any "hardware" soon.  

First week of December on Eurodam we got tiles on our beds. (Neptune suite, got no bag of any kind plastic or Club Orange special, and no mention of such; coulda used one.)

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I got my copper medallion from my room steward in April. He knocked on the door and handed it to my husband, saying it was for me. DH had quite a funny look on his face. 

I was on Kongingsdam B2B2B.  They just didn’t have the tiles and as the OP failed to mention a card was given to be used on. Your next cruise to obtain the missing tile.  They can’t mail them out as they are too backlogged.  I suspect each ship got x supply and when they ran out there were no more to be given since they are currently back ordered and backlogged.

@Ipeeinthepoolsthey are delft tiles that are usually gifted each HAL cruise.  Too dark this morning but here is a pic - they design is more blue than black, though.

A42B45D6-7135-4F24-AF8B-A6065CCD61AD.thumb.jpeg.6b2ba3a7e9cfbc77ae599dffacddad39.jpeg

1 hour ago, Destiny0315 said:

https://tonrijppaert.nl/en/

Here is a detailed site about the HAL tiles

Thanks for posting - interesting site. Browsed briefly - I don’t think they showed the round plates HAL also has produced for inaugural seasons (see attached Rotterdam plate photo).

There was a display of interesting historical plates at the entrance to the main dining room when we were on Rotterdam in 2021 for its inaugural year first Caribbean sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale. Wish I’d taken photos of them.

41046421-1D6F-4FE7-876F-0EB9929A018A.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

There was a display of interesting historical plates at the entrance to the main dining room when we were on Rotterdam in 2021 for its inaugural year first Caribbean sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale. Wish I’d taken photos of them.

I haven't seen a detailed site like that one for the HAL plates. Besides the inaugural ones there are the world cruise ones too that have been made over many years. Like the tiles they can usually be found for auction/sale at sites like Ebay and Etsy.   

Last summer we toured the main Delft Factory in Amsterdam. Name escapes me but they really emphasized the tremendous back log they have. Industry was pretty much shut down during Pandemic and many workers got other jobs. 
Could be same problem as Hal’s Delft Tile supplier.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Glad to see HAL finally notified passengers of tile suspension. Have been on the NA once and Konigsdam twice since the restart and no tiles; seems to be the luck of the draw.

2 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

So many different answers, right now IMHO HAL as a cruise company is a mess and needs to get its act together.

In this case, I don't blame HAL. Like any other mass-produced ceramic item, the tiles are ordered in large batches of a single design. The factory may have a done a run of one design, say the one for Vistas, so those ships would have them (unless HAL messed up on the delivery). Other designs may be further back in the factory's production queue and HAL won't have those until the factory gets caught up. 

• Like 4