Alfredo's or MDR for embarkation lunch

korky1

44 minutes ago, behappy11 said:

Is the main dining room also open on the Crown on embarkation day?

Yes.  The only reason the MDR wouldn't be open on embarkation day would be if there were a staffing problem that kept the MDR from operating.  I've never experienced it, but I've heard it has occurred in the past.

No need to check the Patter for time and location.  The MDR open for embarkation lunch will be located off the Piazza.  Just head there after embarkation and it will either be the dining room on the Piazza level or the next level up.  Lunch is generally Noon to 1:30.

Alfredo's is a great second choice, and if that falls through I grab food from the International Cafe or head up to Lido and get a burger or some pizza.  But I avoid the buffet on embarkation day at all costs.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 12:27 PM, korky1 said:

We were on Majestic in December but couldn't board till 3pm because of some covid issue.  Back on her next week hopefully at noon and have heard that one of the MDRs will be open for lunch as well as Alfredo's.  Have read on here that lunch menu in the MDR on embarkation day is pretty special. My husband and I don't really eat pizza but have read on CC that Alfredo's pizzas are very nice so thinking of maybe going there for our first lunch.  Which would you recommend?

Last Majestic boarding we tried Alfredo's.. Very nice, and quiet as most people head to buffet. We're also on Majestic again soon and will try MDR. Never been busy embarkation day. Opens at noon. My choice - ravioli as starter, Salmon, and Apple Tartine with a scoop of ice cream on side!  We always avoid buffet on embarkation day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, memoak said:

Both Alfredo’s and the one MDR open on embarkation day may be very crowded unless you have club class for the MDR. Even worse on Grand class ships with no pizzeria 

There is an Alfredos is on the Grand Princess.

Edited by brisalta

3 hours ago, brisalta said:

There is an Alfredos is on the Grand Princess.

Not long off Grand. Their Alfredo's menu was much more limited than say the Alfredo's full menu on Majestic. No salads, no other Italian dishes and no deserts. Really just pizza on Grand.  But decent pizza.

3 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

Not long off Grand. Their Alfredo's menu was much more limited than say the Alfredo's full menu on Majestic. No salads, no other Italian dishes and no deserts. Really just pizza on Grand.  But decent pizza.

Though you can go to International Cafe and bring food over! Alfredos on Grand and Sapphire is more limited. Still great though!

12 hours ago, memoak said:

Both Alfredo’s and the one MDR open on embarkation day may be very crowded unless you have club class for the MDR. Even worse on Grand class ships with no pizzeria 

THIS!  Going to Alfredo's for lunch upon embarkation is often suggested/recommended.  Therefore, you can expect a line unless you are among the first on the ship.  On ships that have "Slice" on the Lido desk, go there instead.  The pizza is the same.

2 hours ago, Greenwhite said:

THIS!  Going to Alfredo's for lunch upon embarkation is often suggested/recommended.  Therefore, you can expect a line unless you are among the first on the ship.  On ships that have "Slice" on the Lido desk, go there instead.  The pizza is the same.

Slice has a very limited choice of pies

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

We noticed that too when we were on the Grand last September. But WOW! The pizza was wonderful. And as someone suggested, we could grab a salad from the IC.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fa-Li said:

Were they able to accommodate your dairy allergy just walk-in on embarkation day? Traveling soon with my friend who has same allergy and I so want to start off on the right foot! I know to consult about dinners the night before, wondering how first day lunch works.  She would be so happy with everything in your photos if she could be sure they were dairy free!

Yes, they are able to accommodate allergies at the embarkation lunch.  I talk to them when I arrive. After that, I place my order each night for the next day.  Everything in my photos are dairy free!  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Fa-Li said:

Were they able to accommodate your dairy allergy just walk-in on embarkation day? Traveling soon with my friend who has same allergy and I so want to start off on the right foot! I know to consult about dinners the night before, wondering how first day lunch works.  She would be so happy with everything in your photos if she could be sure they were dairy free!

Also, Gigi’s/Alfredos can make a dairy free pizza with no cheese.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Greenwhite said:

Nope. The pizza on Lido deck is not even close to the same as the pizza at Alfredo's.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Nope. The pizza on Lido deck is not even close to the same as the pizza at Alfredo's.

Absolutely true. 

The Pizza in Alfredo's is made to order - you can order a 50:50 to share, which is what we do.

The Lido pizza is pre made, sitting under a heat lamp - no comparison. 

WAIT!!!!

I boarded the Diamond Princess on January 6th to Hawaii and headed directly to the MDR and my mouth was a watering for the Avocado and Bay Shrimp Appetizer to be followed by the Salmon.

Let Down.....

I sat down at the table, the menu was place in front of me and I'm like, "excuse me....but this is the wrong menu for embarkation day.   You are supposed to have Avocado and Bay Shrimp and Salmon".    The waiter looked at me and said, I'm sorry Mam, but the menu has been changed but fortunately we still have the Chateuabriand of Beef Tenderloin.....   Wahhhhh

So, I ordered the two new things on the menu:  Cold Smoked Salmon and Crayfish Tails and the Trout Amadine.   Neither of them were as good as the Avocado and Bay Shrimp Appetizer & the Salmon.

For Your Viewing Pleasure

86A3EA6C-F39E-4B7B-8DA9-37F077912D3B.jpeg

3FC8327F-FA76-4339-B558-EF5CBB95A162.jpeg

2C1C2E06-3BB4-41CA-A0C0-E09CF1722B53.jpeg

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

WAIT!!!!

I boarded the Diamond Princess on January 6th to Hawaii and headed directly to the MDR and my mouth was a watering for the Avocado and Bay Shrimp Appetizer to be followed by the Salmon.

Let Down.....

I sat down at the table, the menu was place in front of me and I'm like, "excuse me....but this is the wrong menu for embarkation day.   You are supposed to have Avocado and Bay Shrimp and Salmon".    The waiter looked at me and said, I'm sorry Mam, but the menu has been changed but fortunately we still have the Chateuabriand of Beef Tenderloin.....   Wahhhhh

So, I ordered the two new things on the menu:  Cold Smoked Salmon and Crayfish Tails and the Trout Amadine.   Neither of them were as good as the Avocado and Bay Shrimp Appetizer & the Salmon.

We went on the Diamond at the end of January and the old reliable menu was back in place for us!  

17 minutes ago, cruzin4us said: