Favorite grilled cheese

lenquixote66

• 3 weeks later...

American is not even cheese -- it's cheese product; that's why they're sold as "Kraft Singles".  They contain more vegetable oil than dairy and legally cannot be called cheese.  I don't allow that stuff in my house.  

Having said that, the best grilled cheese sandwich includes: 

- A hearty, seedy bread with a good mouthfeel 

- Two types of cheese, preferably one of them Gouda 

- A bit of Italian seasoning sprinkled over the bread 

- A golden brown outside and still-warm, gooey, melt-y interior 

Also delicious:  Grilled pimento cheese with thinly sliced tomato 

One more thought:  If we're going with Swiss (an excellent choice), I'd rather have Baby Swiss.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

American is not even cheese -- it's cheese product; that's why they're sold as "Kraft Singles".  They contain more vegetable oil than dairy and legally cannot be called cheese.  I don't allow that stuff in my house.  

One more thought:  If we're going with Swiss (an excellent choice), I'd rather have Baby Swiss.  

Baby Swiss is the best!

16 hours ago, bluetardis said:

I think sourdough bread and havartti cheese make the best grilled cheese sandwich 

I never heard of havarati cheese.When I was in my teens I worked in a diner type restaurant making sandwiches.The only cheese they offered was Swiss and Muenster.

43 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never heard of havarati cheese.When I was in my teens I worked in a diner type restaurant making sandwiches.The only cheese they offered was Swiss and Muenster.

Havarti cheese, try it......

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Havarti cheese, try it......

Agreed--beautiful, creamy texture. Mild but not bland. I've actually also tried aged Havarti that was excellent, though not as suitable for a grilled cheese. I like to use a whole-grain bread and an assertively flavored cheese, such as an aged cheddar. I lightly butter the inside-facing bread, which helps hold the cheese in place to some extent and--gasp, horror--spread a very thin coating of real mayonnaise on the sides of the bread that get toasted. It seems to brown more evenly than butter and gets quite crisp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 5:30 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I think most grilled cheese enthusiasts would agree that Kraft single are not what they want on their sandwich but there are good brands of American at the deli.  My favorite American is Land-o-Lakes white...I often put sliced olives on mine but sometimes just a slice or two of deli ham also.

I took my electric griddle to work and made about 2 dozen grilled cheese sandwiches with ham for my coworkers.  we had American, Cheddar and pepper jack.

Also if you don't have softened butter to grease the outside of the sandwich, may works great and most people don't even taste the difference.  including me.  I'd actually like a little tang but can not really taste it.  it does serve as an easily spreadable fat to give that nice golden brown (or slightly darker) color.

31 minutes ago, Seamus6 said:

I think most grilled cheese enthusiasts would agree that Kraft single are not what they want on their sandwich but there are good brands of American at the deli.  My favorite American is Land-o-Lakes white...I often put sliced olives on mine but sometimes just a slice or two of deli ham also.

I took my electric griddle to work and made about 2 dozen grilled cheese sandwiches with ham for my coworkers.  we had American, Cheddar and pepper jack.

Also if you don't have softened butter to grease the outside of the sandwich, may works great and most people don't even taste the difference.  including me.  I'd actually like a little tang but can not really taste it.  it does serve as an easily spreadable fat to give that nice golden brown (or slightly darker) color.

Cheddar - Either Cabot, Boar Head in Black Wax Covering, Unnamed Sharp Cheddar from Hudson Valley, NY

21 hours ago, Seamus6 said:

I think most grilled cheese enthusiasts would agree that Kraft single are not what they want on their sandwich but there are good brands of American at the deli ...

When the case is full of Cheddar, Gouda and other superior cheeses, why bother with any American cheese?  

• 3 months later...

Only ever a mature cheddar in this house - whether it's going on an American style grilled cheese sandwich (or "fried cheese sandwich" as it might be in English English) or our preferred British cheese on toast (cooked under the grill). 

There has been very little mention of what to do on the outside of the bread.  I, for one, do not ever use any butter, mayo, or similar; just toast the whole thing in my little electric sandwich press.  And as to buttering the inside?? Not for me.  I do love butter, but only as a solid, never melted on anything.

I think I'm probably in the minority, though!

On 3/11/2023 at 11:30 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I totally agree. The Baby Swiss is delicious!