Edge non specialty alternatives to the buffet for embarkation day lunch?

COREYATMN

Hi, first timers on Celebrity, looking forward to our veranda cabin on the Edge.    Are there any other non specialty options for lunch on embarkation day?  We enjoy buffets, but they are usually so busy the first day.

Also, what are the non specialty breakfast/lunch options for the other days?  Is there a MDR open? 

Are there more choices on sea days?

Thanks!  

42 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

Have you checked the app? Dining information should be in there.

The app doesn't have hours, and breaks down the MDR vs all others.   But does not specify if there are lunch hours or different sea day hours.  

Or maybe I'm just not smart enough to see it.

We sailed the Edge earlier this month.  Non speciality lunch options open on embarkation day are:

- OVC (buffet)

- Mast grill - hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, self serve ice cream (pretty sure it is open on embarkation day

- Al Bacio - this is the cafe serving specialty coffees (included if you have a drink package) and delicious cakes, cookies and pastries (free).  Not really for lunch although I have been known to have dessert for lunch on occassion!

Other non speciality options  for breakfast and lunch (don't believe they are open on embarkation day)

- MDR 

- Spa cafe.  This is within the solarium and has some healthy lunch options - salads, small sandwiches

- Eden Cafe - only open on sea days.  This is a great little spot offering salads, panini sandwiches, desserts, tea and coffee.  They also have breakfast options although we didn't try it

For embarkation day we went to the Grand Bistro which is $30 per person.  We wanted to avoid the crowds and this was well worth it.  Excellent food and not crowded at all!  We went back a second time later in the cruise we enjoyed it so much 🙂

The app will have dining options as well as opening times and menus, but it isn't totally accurate in advance.  

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The assigned boarding times the and the ability to drop carry on load in the cabin as soon as you board has had a positive impact on the buffet.  There is a flow of passengers boarding over about 4 hours and with the carry ons stowed in the cabin people tend to eat and move on, versus sitting for 1-2 hours with luggage.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, COREYATMN said:

Hi, first timers on Celebrity, looking forward to our veranda cabin on the Edge.    Are there any other non specialty options for lunch on embarkation day?  We enjoy buffets, but they are usually so busy the first day.

Also, what are the non specialty breakfast/lunch options for the other days?  Is there a MDR open? 

Are there more choices on sea days?

Thanks!  

PBJ in your carry on 🤣

On 2/21/2023 at 10:07 PM, COREYATMN said:

The app doesn't have hours, and breaks down the MDR vs all others.   But does not specify if there are lunch hours or different sea day hours.  

Or maybe I'm just not smart enough to see it.

I select a MDR in the app the select "Show More".  Then I see the dining times.  

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1218.PNG

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 8:57 AM, 1025cruise said:

Unfortunately, probably won't be allowed on board.

Actually you can bring pretty much any food on board.

I eat Keto and bring bags of pork rinds, almonds and low carb keto bread on board all the time.

Most people choose to check in early and go right to the OVC. If you check in after 1pm you can usually walk on the ship, no lines go to the OVC and find it uncrowded.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 11:39 PM, crusinthrough said:

I checked a 2024 sailing in the app and see the same information.  Maybe delete and then reinstall the app.  

Tried that, no luck.  I wonder if it's because I have a cruise booked?  I'm pretty sure the menus showed up when I first installed the app, though.

16 hours ago, COREYATMN said:

Tried that, no luck.  I wonder if it's because I have a cruise booked?  I'm pretty sure the menus showed up when I first installed the app, though.

Weird, I was looking at cruise I have booked.  They are in the app.  One cruise is 2023 and the other is in 2024.