WIFI costs...are you kidding me?

remydiva

I think the wifi prices are high. For my upcoming 28 night cruise it's a whooping 28x $7.50 =$210 for my one laptop devise. Don't forget the gratuity since that's in the auto daily gratuity and includes revenue generating depts.  Nickle and diming was never a goal of Princess but now it is. Isn't bingo and gym classes revenue generating so now the cruise director and his staff are in the pool. It's getting out of hand. All inclusive resorts are looking better but I do enjoy cruising.

What is a Crew Appreciation?

The crew appreciation is a daily (adjustable) amount added to your onboard account and pooled in order to recognize the many crew members in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas and entertainment areas throughout our fleet who contribute to the guest experience. The daily amount of the Crew Appreciation is based on stateroom category: $14.50 per guest in Interior, Oceanview and Balcony, $15.50 per guest in Mini-Suite and Reserve Collection, $16.50 per guest in Suites. Effective on voyages departing February 20, 2023 and beyond, the daily amount is $16 per guest in Interior, Oceanview and Balcony, $17 per guest in Mini-Suite and Reserve Collection, and $18 per guest in Suites

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

I think the wifi prices are high. For my upcoming 28 night cruise it's a whooping 28x $7.50 =$210 for my one laptop devise. Don't forget the gratuity since that's in the auto daily gratuity and includes revenue generating depts. 

Why are you mixing in the daily gratuities with the cost of wi-fi?  Is it just a segue into a 'nickle and diming' discussion?  By the way, as noted earlier, you can connect as many devices to your account as you like... just one at a time though!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, caribill said:

All you say is accurate, but Princess does not promote the "Best WIFI at Sea" as only being available some of the time in some areas of the world.

Except thats exactly what they say

https://www.princess.com/cruise-tips-vacation-ideas/video/onboard-experience/how-medallionnet-works.html

14 hours ago, Times Prince said:

Counting connection minutes is software, and is software they've had for years, so it is not new technology. No separate system is needed, just a switch to a different software routine that counts minutes from when one logs in to when one logs out.  And that could be done for all logins, with the data maintained for statistical purposes for people with unlimited packages, something they probably already do in the background.

Logging in and out is what happens when one switches from one device to another, like going from a smart phone web browser to a web browser in the Internet Cafe.

Yes it is software, but software must be supported and maintained.  It also would need to be integrated with the current system to make sure that the systems do not filter out and block those authorized under the other system..  Can be fairly complex getting two different systems to interact since the filtering system would need to be able to check both systems to see if the connection is authorized under either one with the different rules.  When the new system was installed the old systems was totally removed. As such it no longer exists on Princess ships.  That decision was made long ago when they made the changes to the new system.  So the comment still exists any minute system would be an addition, with additional costs, which would be spread out over that group that wishes minutes.  Most likely not worth the cost or effort.  Especially since a device based system is less complex to implement and manage.

Keep in mind under the old system there where a lot of issues of people forgetting to or incorrectly logging out and having all of their minutes go bye bye.

47 minutes ago, ldtr said:

When the new system was installed the old systems was totally removed. As such it no longer exists on Princess ships.  That decision was made long ago when they made the changes to the new system.  .

If you sign off on the new system, doesn't it tell you how many minutes have been used?

1 hour ago, Steelers0854 said:

Maybe the person who wrote the following that you see when you go to that link needs to view the video.

"MedallionNet® lets you stay connected at sea like never before. Take a look at how this technology works and what you can expect on your upcoming cruise. MedallionNet delivers wi-fi wherever you are. We offer the fastest wifi on the high seas making it easier for you to stream movies, stay connected on social media and even text with friends and family on board with you! Our internet is fast and affordable and can be pre-purchased before you even step on board!"

Actually, the video says Internet service is available everywhere Princess sails and connectivity is there unless in some latitudes nearer the poles physical land features block the signal to/from the Satellites. And yes, it says speed may be lower closer to the poles.

But that is not reality as many posters have said Internet was often poor and often non-existant in the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean and Trans-Atlantic areas far from the poles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ldtr said:

Yes it is software, but software must be supported and maintained.  [...deleted content...].  Most likely not worth the cost or effort.  Especially since a device based system is less complex to implement and manage.

In the computer industry a "device" is defined as a hardware unit with a fixed MAC address.

The MedallionNet system allows one to be logged in with only one device at a time, and when one switches from Smart phone to laptop computer to Kindle to Internet Cafe computer using one's single login/password credentials the next login will logout from the previous different logged device with different MAC address.  As such it is a user logon based system and not device based.   This has been documented by users here on CC and by my Princess CVP.

I sometimes wonder if marketing a 1 device plan or 4 device plan is designed to increase sales volume for people thinking that they need more than a 1 device plan because they have both a laptop and an iPad or Kindle.  There are cases where one could need to maintain an internet connection simultaneously (e.g. work/play) in which multiple logins could require truly having multiple devices.

33 minutes ago, Times Prince said:

In the computer industry a "device" is defined as a hardware unit with a fixed MAC address.

The MedallionNet system allows one to be logged in with only one device at a time, and when one switches from Smart phone to laptop computer to Kindle to Internet Cafe computer using one's single login/password credentials the next login will logout from the previous different logged device with different MAC address.  As such it is a user logon based system and not device based.   This has been documented by users here on CC and by my Princess CVP.

I sometimes wonder if marketing a 1 device plan or 4 device plan is designed to increase sales volume for people thinking that they need more than a 1 device plan because they have both a laptop and an iPad or Kindle.  There are cases where one could need to maintain an internet connection simultaneously (e.g. work/play) in which multiple logins could require truly having multiple devices.

The user must log on, but the device ID (MAC address) is then what is used by the system to allow communications.  The log on is only used to register the device ID and indicate that it is authorized. The system basically has either one or four entries that can be authorized and can be used at any time.  Once that is set no other interaction is needed unless one chooses a different device.  That is what I mean by device focused.  

New system ties devices by ID to user account and tracks those devices that are considered to be active (as in authorized to connect  to the system).  

Under the old system the user log on was whatever device they were logging in on.  The system only tracked those devices that were active.  The user ID was linked to the number of minutes remaining.  When they logged off the device information was forgotten and only the remaining minutes remained tied to the user account. No need to maintain any device information except when the use was logged in.

Having an environment that did both would end up being more complex and most likely as Princess determined not worth the cost.  With that complexity comes a cost and that cost would have to funded.  So either you would have very expensive minutes or you would have to spread the cost over everyone to pay for the additional expense.  Not very likely.

On 2/26/2023 at 4:58 PM, Steelers36 said:

Looks like you are not aware of Crew Incentive increase from $14.50 to $16.  So, your number is $44.00.  Now, take out your MedallionNet cost - either $15/day or $7.50/day.

Really don't care about the internet.  If it's included in a package like on Princess or Celebrity, we'll use it, otherwise we turn off for the week.  Either way, 44.00 per day for the drinks package is a bargain compared to the competition.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 1:48 PM, Roberto256 said:

This is a dilemma for many posters here.

Outrage over the price.

vs.

Disappointment over the speed.

Actually not vs

….it’s more outrage over price AND disappointment over the speed!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Really don't care about the internet.  If it's included in a package like on Princess or Celebrity, we'll use it, otherwise we turn off for the week.  Either way, 44.00 per day for the drinks package is a bargain compared to the competition.

Since both passengers in cabin must purchase same plan, when one is a non drinker and a non internet user, it doesn’t make good fiscal Sense.

standard package  is what we will get.

Buying a block of data rather than minutes would seem like a better method for those who need nowhere near unlimited internet. I always got by with my free minutes using it based on the average number of minutes I had per day. So if we could buy 1 GB or 5 GB to use over the cruise I would presumably be happier (depends on cost per GB) than I am having had free internet minutes from our 6th through 41st cruise, then having to pay $5/day for our 42nd and 43rd cruise and now trying to justify $7.50/day on our next cruise. And of course multiply all these numbers by 1.35 to get it to Canadian $.

Is the extra price reduction for purchasing before boarding a thing of the past now? I know that $7.50 is the rock bottom price, so I should say does the price increase to purchase on board? Or is this one of the before boarding or embarkation day and after that it goes up further in price? I believe I noticed that there is an option through the cruise to purchase it for all remaining days and of course it drops in price each additional day of the cruise. But not sure how that compares to the $7.50 per day rate. It won’t be less per day but will be less in total if you can get by for part of the cruise without it.

Edited by AE_Collector

1 hour ago, AE_Collector said:

Is the extra price reduction for purchasing before boarding a thing of the past now? I know that $7.50 is the rock bottom price, so I should say does the price increase to purchase on board?

I don't know how far in advance your next cruise is...but do you really believe that the quoted price today will be the same when you board/purchase "Elite" rate on the first day?

As far as I am concerned, I have very little trust when it comes to Princess and its purchase prices.  I understand the pandemic put them in a hole.  I understand that inflation is affecting fuel/food/etc.  I understand there is some necessity to raising costs.  

What I don't understand is why Princess is so inconsistent across the fleet.  Why Princess "fixes" things that aren't broken.  Why Princess has to "embellish" things to make us "think" we are getting a better deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buying a block of data rather than minutes would seem like a better method for those who need nowhere near unlimited internet. I always got by with my free minutes using it based on the average number of minutes I had per day. So if we could buy 1 GB or 5 GB to use over the cruise I would presumably be happier (depends on cost per GB) than I am having had free internet minutes from our 6th through 41st cruise, then having to pay $5/day for our 42nd and 43rd cruise and now trying to justify $7.50/day on our next cruise. And of course multiply all these numbers by 1.35 to get it to Canadian $.

Is the extra price reduction for purchasing before boarding a thing of the past now? I know that $7.50 is the rock bottom price, so I should say does the price increase to purchase on board? Or is this one of the before boarding or embarkation day and after that it goes up further in price? I believe I noticed that there is an option through the cruise to purchase it for all remaining days and of course it drops in price each additional day of the cruise. But not sure how that compares to the $7.50 per day rate. It won’t be less per day but will be less in total if you can get by for part of the cruise without it.

With the new pricing for MedallionNet, it is the same pre-cruise as on-board.

The only price I do not know (and have been trying to find out) is what the charge is for individual days.  It used to be $20 for single day and I expect that has gone up somewhat.  Someone on a ship needs to ask and post it here or we won't know.

• Thanks 1

Is the extra price reduction for purchasing before boarding a thing of the past now?

Before the recent price increase from $10/day to $15/day, if booked pre-cruise the Platinum/Elite discount was only allowed if booked pre-cruise and possibly on embarkation day.

With the increase to $15/day, the discount is the same now pre-cruise and on board.

Now this is for entire-cruise pricing. If buying individual days while on board, the price is higher, but Platinum/Elite still get a 50% discount on that price.

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2023 at 2:31 PM, caribill said:

If you sign off on the new system, doesn't it tell you how many minutes have been used?

No need to know minutes used since they are unlimited plans

11 hours ago, caribill said:

Before the recent price increase from $10/day to $15/day, if booked pre-cruise the Platinum/Elite discount was only allowed if booked pre-cruise and possibly on embarkation day.

With the increase to $15/day, the discount is the same now pre-cruise and on board.

Now this is for entire-cruise pricing. If buying individual days while on board, the price is higher, but Platinum/Elite still get a 50% discount on that price.

The 50% Platinum & Elite discount was always applicable, no matter when or where a guest ordered, or no matter which package or type of MedallionNet order.

Besides the pricing increase, the only change is the on-board pricing is the same as the pre-cruise pricing.

12 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The 50% Platinum & Elite discount was always applicable, no matter when or where a guest ordered, or no matter which package or type of MedallionNet order.

Besides the pricing increase, the only change is the on-board pricing is the same as the pre-cruise pricing.

You are correct. I noticed my error in re-reading it this morning.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AE_Collector said:

My ‘50% off’ price as Elite was $140 for 14 days so that’s $10 US a day.

I like your idea of either a daily rate when you need it or a gb option. There are no freebies anymore as I don’t consider upgrading to Plus a freebie.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, remydiva said:

My ‘50% off’ price as Elite was $140 for 14 days so that’s $10 US a day.

I like your idea of either a daily rate when you need it or a gb option. There are no freebies anymore as I don’t consider upgrading to Plus a freebie.

To quote a recent Princess brochure:

"Over $950 value on a 7-day cruise when you buy Princess Plus"

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 9:56 PM, remydiva said:

Since both passengers in cabin must purchase same plan, when one is a non drinker and a non internet user, it doesn’t make good fiscal Sense.

standard package  is what we will get.

Teetotalers that don't drink enough non alcoholic included options in the package should always just choose the standard package and pay a la carte for everything.