What does a Royal Caribbean new cruiser need to know?

Sigyn

My teenage son and I will embark on our first Royal Caribbean cruise in 34 days. I just booked the cruise this week so it's a last minute thing for us and I feel utterly unprepared. We've cruised on Carnival and, most recently in December, Norwegian. But I know every cruise line does things a little differently. What do we need to know before we cruise that Royal does differently than other cruise lines? What should we plan on doing those first hours of the cruise to make our cruise run smoothly? (Reservations for shows, dinners, etc?) I've already checked us in online and we have our boarding passes, so that's good. But what else do I need to know? 

Thanks so much!

More similar than different in my opinion.

The date, itinerary, and duration - all influence the experience more than the ship/line.  IMO.

Look on both the website and app - to reserve shows if you have favorites.  But stand-by lines get into almost all shows with a short wait.  Purchase photo package if you plan on getting taking some memories with your son.  Prices only seem to increase.

Look into excursions the same as any cruiseline.

If you post ship/itinerary, some might suggest specific venues or activities to investigate further.

One main difference is when you board the ship, you will not be able to go directly to your cabin for a few hours. When we cruised on Princess in the past (admittedly, many years ago), you could go directly to your cabin. So, you will be lugging your bags with you for awhile. Be sure to keep your valuables in your carry-on that stays with you during that time. You can eat, explore the ship, etc. before the cabins are open. 

Others have said to reserve shows; that isn't required on all ships, so it depends on your particular ship.

You didn't mention the ship you are cruising on. For instance, on the Oasis class (mega ship) it's important to book your shows. On the smaller ships you probably won't even have booking opportunities (first come first served)

9 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

While there is still some complaining, on Royal people never complain about tipping, dress codes, chair hogs, smoking, loud music or those that arrive outside their self chosen arrival times. 

Yes, this is true. All Royal cruisers are content.

• Haha 1

If you want internet it is best to buy on the cruise planner now before boarding.    the onboard price is somewhere around $24.99 to $26.99 per device depending on the ship.

If you booked my time dining, you want to make your reservations on the cruise planner too.

If you booked traditional dining, seating times are usually 5:30 and 8:00 or 8:30 pm - again depends on the ship.

It is best to download the royal caribbean app before checking in at the terminal and you can do the health questionnaire 24 hrs before embarkment and you can watch the safety video (e-muster).   Once onboard report directly to your muster station (station number will be on your boarding pass).    Best to get this done right away and not worry about it.      

Cabins are usually around 1 pm so we always check in our luggage outside with the porters and keep our backpacks with us that contain laptop and medicines.   We usually board the ship between 12 and 1 pm so we do the muster drill then go right to our cabin to drop off backpacks then get our lunch.    Windjammer buffet will be very busy on boarding day.     Everything will be very busy on boarding day, including elevators.    The next day will be much calmer.

If you want towels for the pool there is a towel station near the pools   It is very important that you return your towels to this location when done or they will charge you $25 per towel if not returned.    

If you want a paper compass (daily activity schedule) delivered to your cabin every day, you must ask your room steward to bring this otherwise you can use the app to view activities and shows.

As soon as you board, (1) book any entertainment you want through the app; (2) book any specialty dining you want at any specialty restaurant (they can all book for each other, so just pick the nearest one and book everything there).

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If you want a paper compass (daily activity schedule) delivered to your cabin every day, you must ask your room steward to bring this otherwise you can use the app to view activities and shows.

You can also download a digital PDF copy of the Compass everyday which we like a lot. The bar code will be on the TV. The Compass is much easier to navigate than the app for certain scenarios. For instance, if you want to see what restaurants are open "now" it's easier to see on the Compass than the app. On the app you will have to open the info about each restaurant to check times. On the compass they are all in one place. Here's a clip from a Compass on our Harmony Cruise this past December:

image.thumb.png.bb0e032e4df891ef15d4ecb883b1dad8.png

So you can see how handy this would be in this situation. If you are carrying your phone around using the app, the downloaded version of the Daily Company is a very good addition without having to deal with the paper. You now have the advantage of both the app and the Compass at your fingertips.

Edited by 2chiefs
  • Like 3

If I have regular fixed time MDR dining I like to go to the MDR to check out my table location. The table number will be on your Seapass. This doesn't apply to my time dining.  

Once you go to your cabin, the room steward will come to introduce themself. This is when we let them know of special requests; for us it's to remove the comforter, replacing it with a lightweight blanket and to leave ice every day.

If you are on Oasis Class ships, do as suggested and book your entertainment now. Most other ships don't offer pre-booking. If you are on Voyager, Freedom, or Oasis class be sure to see the ice skating show. 

Go with the idea that you will have a great cruise!

Barb

8 hours ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

Book shows and added fee activities as soon as you get on unless they are offered to book now. Also book your dining time now if you are MTD. As already stated read CC threads on your ship. We also watch a YouTube video on the ship

Thanks! I have MTD so that we can be flexible with our dining time. 

8 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Download and use the App. 

Much appreciated. I have just downloaded it.

7 hours ago, dna1990 said:

More similar than different in my opinion.

The date, itinerary, and duration - all influence the experience more than the ship/line.  IMO.

Look on both the website and app - to reserve shows if you have favorites.  But stand-by lines get into almost all shows with a short wait.  Purchase photo package if you plan on getting taking some memories with your son.  Prices only seem to increase.

Look into excursions the same as any cruiseline.

If you post ship/itinerary, some might suggest specific venues or activities to investigate further.

We are on Harmony of the Seas from April 1-8. We have three sea days and we are going to St. Thomas, St. Maarten and CocoCay. All suggestions welcome. 

6 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

While there is still some complaining, on Royal people never complain about tipping, dress codes, chair hogs, smoking, loud music or those that arrive outside their self chosen arrival times. 

hahahahahaha. I know better than this!!!! 

6 hours ago, Kellie in Texas said:

One main difference is when you board the ship, you will not be able to go directly to your cabin for a few hours. When we cruised on Princess in the past (admittedly, many years ago), you could go directly to your cabin. So, you will be lugging your bags with you for awhile. Be sure to keep your valuables in your carry-on that stays with you during that time. You can eat, explore the ship, etc. before the cabins are open. 

I've always had to wait until about 1 pm to 2 pm to get to my cabin, so is it later than that? 

6 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

You didn't mention the ship you are cruising on. For instance, on the Oasis class (mega ship) it's important to book your shows. On the smaller ships you probably won't even have booking opportunities (first come first served)

Harmony of the Seas, so it's Oasis class.

6 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Don't forget muster.  Review the safety video before boarding, goto muster station,  checkin, then you're done.

Are they doing muster drills in person, taking a long time again? Or is it modified? On NCL in December we just went to one area inside the ship and gave our names and they checked off our names and it took 30 seconds. It wasn't the old way of standing on the deck in life jackets, or even sitting in a big room listening to instructions for 15 minutes.

5 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If you want internet it is best to buy on the cruise planner now before boarding.    the onboard price is somewhere around $24.99 to $26.99 per device depending on the ship.

If you booked my time dining, you want to make your reservations on the cruise planner too.

If you booked traditional dining, seating times are usually 5:30 and 8:00 or 8:30 pm - again depends on the ship.

It is best to download the royal caribbean app before checking in at the terminal and you can do the health questionnaire 24 hrs before embarkment and you can watch the safety video (e-muster).   Once onboard report directly to your muster station (station number will be on your boarding pass).    Best to get this done right away and not worry about it.      

Cabins are usually around 1 pm so we always check in our luggage outside with the porters and keep our backpacks with us that contain laptop and medicines.   We usually board the ship between 12 and 1 pm so we do the muster drill then go right to our cabin to drop off backpacks then get our lunch.    Windjammer buffet will be very busy on boarding day.     Everything will be very busy on boarding day, including elevators.    The next day will be much calmer.

If you want towels for the pool there is a towel station near the pools   It is very important that you return your towels to this location when done or they will charge you $25 per towel if not returned.    

Why do you need reservations for My Time Dining? And in advance? That seems to defeat the purpose of figuring out when you want to go spur of the moment. I'm confused. This is the kind of stuff I need to know. Thank you!

This is all great info. I appreciate it!

3 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

You can also download a digital PDF copy of the Compass everyday which we like a lot. The bar code will be on the TV. The Compass is much easier to navigate than the app for certain scenarios. For instance, if you want to see what restaurants are open "now" it's easier to see on the Compass than the app. On the app you will have to open the info about each restaurant to check times. On the compass they are all in one place.  

Love to know this. Thank you!

59 minutes ago, barb in ga said:

If you are on Oasis Class ships, do as suggested and book your entertainment now. Most other ships don't offer pre-booking. If you are on Voyager, Freedom, or Oasis class be sure to see the ice skating show. 

My son loves to ice skate, so he is looking forward to the show and the free skate. He's even going to take his own skates. Thanks!

MTD isn’t like on NCL. On NCL you can go anytime the MDR is open, usually between 5:30 and 9 pm. On RCL, MTD is scheduled anytime between usually 6:30 and 8:00. This is between the early seating at 5:30 and the late seating of 8 or 8:30. So if you don’t make a reservation for sometime between the 6:30 and 8pm MTD timeframe, you usually have to wait in line to be seated. 

We choose MTD because we like to eat between 6-6:30. So early seating is too early and late seating is too late. So with MTD, we usually pick the 6:30 spot and that way we have time to freshen up after excursions and then head to dinner. And we are out in plenty of time for the 9pm show.

16 minutes ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

MTD isn’t like on NCL. On NCL you can go anytime the MDR is open, usually between 5:30 and 9 pm. On RCL, MTD is scheduled anytime between usually 6:30 and 8:00. This is between the early seating at 5:30 and the late seating of 8 or 8:30. So if you don’t make a reservation for sometime between the 6:30 and 8pm MTD timeframe, you usually have to wait in line to be seated. 

We choose MTD because we like to eat between 6-6:30. So early seating is too early and late seating is too late. So with MTD, we usually pick the 6:30 spot and that way we have time to freshen up after excursions and then head to dinner. And we are out in plenty of time for the 9pm show.

ah, okay. that makes sense. So there's a 9 pm show. what time is the early show? 

Edited to say I just checked and the only MTD reservations available are 8:15 and later. Are there more time slots open when we board? 

Edited by njsmom

55 minutes ago, njsmom said:

ah, okay. that makes sense. So there's a 9 pm show. what time is the early show? 

Edited to say I just checked and the only MTD reservations available are 8:15 and later. Are there more time slots open when we board? 

Keep in mind there is always the Windjammer buffet open for dinner should MTD in the dining room not fit your evening schedule.    

As well as some pay options such as JRs and Playmakers that your teenage Son may like.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

On the app you will have to open the info about each restaurant to check times.

May be true on some ships or some times, but not necessarily.  My app has always shown a "Hungry Now?" tab under restaurants that will show what's open at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njsmom said:

You can go to the MTD desk on deck 3  when you board to see if there are more time slots open;  I almost wouldn't count on there being any available.  However, there are always two lines when the MTD opens;  one line for reservations, and one line for those without reservations.  You can certainly go on the non-reservation line.  I may do that myself when I get on my cruise next week, since our reservations are for 7:30 some nights, and 7:45 on the remaining nights.  Good luck, and have a wonderful and memorable cruise with your son!🛳️

16 hours ago, njsmom said:

My teenage son and I will embark on our first Royal Caribbean cruise in 34 days. I just booked the cruise this week so it's a last minute thing for us and I feel utterly unprepared. We've cruised on Carnival and, most recently in December, Norwegian. But I know every cruise line does things a little differently. What do we need to know before we cruise that Royal does differently than other cruise lines? What should we plan on doing those first hours of the cruise to make our cruise run smoothly? (Reservations for shows, dinners, etc?) I've already checked us in online and we have our boarding passes, so that's good. But what else do I need to know? 

Thanks so much!

Lower your expectations. Service, staffing, food options are all being reduced. Sorry.