Chronicles

spinnaker2

Is it time to stop printing the Chronicles and rely on the screen in your suite?

I noticed a pax commented on another venue that the Chronicles were not printed in other languages and the pax was most disappointed. 

Perhaps its time to stop polluting the world with more paper and ink, and energy and just use the tv screen in the suite. There could be options to translate it into whatever language one might want, satisfying the cultural and language connection.

The silver box is gone, the leave at home papers for relatives are gone, the printed travelogue is gone, the printed tickets are gone, the prize points on paper are gone, the luggage tags are gone…maybe the Chronicles should go too???

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Is it time to stop printing the Chronicles and rely on the screen in your suite?

I noticed a pax commented on another venue that the Chronicles were not printed in other languages and the pax was most disappointed. 

Perhaps its time to stop polluting the world with more paper and ink, and energy and just use the tv screen in the suite. There could be options to translate it into whatever language one might want, satisfying the cultural and language connection.

The silver box is gone, the leave at home papers for relatives are gone, the printed travelogue is gone, the printed tickets are gone, the prize points on paper are gone, the luggage tags are gone…maybe the Chronicles should go too???

Interesting suggestion.  I used to keep them as souvenirs in my days of madness.  Now they go in the round bin at the end of each day on board.  No paper would cut down on recycling.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

We still like to read the paper version before going to bed, so would prefer to keep them, maybe as an optional choice. On port days the insert not only includes tour times but also prints the port agent and ships contact details and is useful to take with you when on tour or on shore on your own.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

We still like to read the paper version before going to bed, so would prefer to keep them, maybe as an optional choice. On port days the insert not only includes tour times but also prints the port agent and ships contact details and is useful to take with you when on tour or on shore on your own.

I agree! We like the paper version as well and would miss it if they were to go digital. We rarely turn the TV on when we’re aboard and would find it a bother to have to do so to read The Chronicle. I also like to bring it to breakfast to read over and plan our day.

• Like 4

I like to have the Chronicle on paper so that I can circle the times and events I need to mind and can affix it to the mirror - but I would be in favor of making it optional - just another detail to give to the Butler such as whether you want coffee or snacks delivered.

• Like 1

After flying half way round the world on an oil powered jet, taking a diesel coach to the port and boarding my ship powered by whatever petrochemical the auto industry spurns I'm not sure ditching the Chronicle will totally assuage my eco-guilt. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

If they want to save a few trees, eliminate the daily world news sheet they place outside your door each morning.  It immediately went into the trash can, unlike the Daily Chronicles which I found to be beneficial.  

In the before days, I too thought the daily news sheet was a waste so I told reception I didn’t want it - problem solved. 
Since the cruising restart I haven’t noticed the printed sheets outside anyone’s door - dunno if I’ve just missed it or if they’ve stopped printing them since it’s all available on their app. 
Whist cruising is hardly a ‘green’ pastime, any little saving of trees/CO2 comforts my soul a bit. Same as me not eating beef, probably doesn’t make any difference but I do it because it makes me feel better. Pathetic really. 

Sorry Spins!! A bit of rambling thread drift here!

PS Another thing I haven’t seen since the restart - a printed card with Butler and Suite Attendant’s names. P’raps it’s just me? But it does exercise the old memory. 

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2

If they want to save a few trees, eliminate the daily world news sheet they place outside your door each morning.  It immediately went into the trash can, unlike the Daily Chronicles which I found to be beneficial.  

Hi, I have never received the news sheet you are referring to..........

26 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

In the before days, I too thought the daily news sheet was a waste so I told reception I didn’t want it - problem solved. 
Since the cruising restart I haven’t noticed the printed sheets outside anyone’s door - dunno if I’ve just missed it or if they’ve stopped printing them since it’s all available on their app. 
Whist cruising is hardly a ‘green’ pastime, any little saving of trees/CO2 comforts my soul a bit. Same as me not eating beef, probably doesn’t make any difference but I do it because it makes me feel better. Pathetic really. 

Sorry Spins!! A bit of rambling thread drift here!

PS Another thing I haven’t seen since the restart - a printed card with Butler and Suite Attendant’s names. P’raps it’s just me? But it does exercise the old memory. 

The news sheet as we used to get it was always yesterday's news. However you may still request it be printed and placed outside your suite in the lucite holder. The old news may be requested in various languages.

I also remember that you could request an entire newspaper be delivered daily. It was huge. Dr Spins loved it. A giant newspaper!

Sometimes it's the little things.

And I haven't seen the butler card either, it was something hand written.

Ah Jolly. The before days.

Just ask them not to deliver the daily news.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I have never received the news sheet you are referring to

Hi Lois.  It was placed in the plastic holder above the suite number each morning when we were on The Moon in the Mediterranean last year.  Perhaps not all ships provide it.  As spinnaker2 indicated above, it was always yesterday's news and with most folks carrying cell phones with internet access these days, we have access to current news 24/7.  

• Like 1

Hi Lois.  It was placed in the plastic holder above the suite number each morning when we were on The Moon in the Mediterranean last year.  Perhaps not all ships provide it.  As spinnaker2 indicated above, it was always yesterday's news and with most folks carrying cell phones with internet access these days, we have access to current news 24/7.  

Hi, Oh, I know what it is but I wonder if folks who request it are the ones who get it.  In all my sailings with SS it has never been put in the plastic holder outside of my door. 

• Like 1

Seabourn has stoped printing their version of Chronicles (the Herald) on and off on various ships since the restart of cruising. Some people are fine with it, especially since Seabourn has an app as well as the TV; some people don't like not getting it; some people say they don't want to "be a slave to their phone"; a few people say they don't have a smart phone. In most cases, it seems that on cruises where the daily issue was not being printed by default, it could be requested. I think something along these lines is where Silversea should go: make receiving a printed Chronicles an option for passengers. After a few months, they would have ample metrics on how many people asked for it versus those who didn't, and that could help guide future plans.

I'm pretty technically adept, so I can deal with getting information via a website or app; however, I like having these paper versions to document our voyages. The one Seabourn cruise we were on in 2021 where we didn't get their daily version, I realized too late that I don't have a detailed record of that cruise as I do with all our other cruises. For me, if they want to get out of the print business, then I'd like downloadable PDF files which can be a record of of cruise. 

• Like 6

I like the paper copies. One of the joys of being on a cruise is NOT having my cellphone or iPad "surgically attached."  My DH doesn't even take his cellphone on the cruise and doesn't own an iPad. And we don't want to have to turn the TV on just to see what's happening when we can simply glance at a piece of paper. 

SS's daily rags are much more streamlined than on most lines -- probably b/c they don't have nearly as many ads.  😀  

If they want to offer folks the option of "opting out" of a paper version, I'm fine with that. But leave it available for those of us who enjoy it.

• Like 5