Chronicles

spinnaker2

I love the Chronicles, bedtime reading and building anticipation for the following day.   I also like the daily news which on my last two trips has been available at various venues around the ships but delivered to our door after request to the butler.

• Like 1

Last SS cruise we did we didn't get the Chronicles.  My wife went to the Reception desk on the last day and asked them to print copies of all of them so she could take them home (put them into a picture book she is making of our trip).

I didn't really miss the paper copies.

Just this small sample of passengers shows some would prefer to keep getting paper copies and some would prefer not to. I don't know why Silversea (or any cruise line) wouldn't make this a customer preference. They can satisfy every customer who wants paper, and still save money not printing as many copies. (Unless the long-term goal is to eliminate a back-office staff position for the crew member who designs, edits and prints Chronicles and other printed materials.) 

Crystal had a very good app, and Celebrity does now that shows activities, bar hours, etc. I like having that option. Otherwise, I’d like a printed copy so I can take a photo of the hourly schedule, on board time, etc.  As another alternative, they could post the full issue each day by reception for easy access, without having to ask someone to pull one out—like posting the daily menus. maybe SS has an app, too, I don’t recall. 

Edited by CruiserFromMaine
Typo

Silversea has a website you can access once onboard. Seabourn has an app, with some ups and downs; they also have the daily schedule and port info posted in Seabourn Square (reception area on steroids 😉 ).

If one's going to have a phone or digit device with them, then I'd think an easy-to-access app or website would be better than having to get a printed copy to take a digital picture of. 

11 hours ago, cruiseej said:

If one's going to have a phone or digit device with them, then I'd think an easy-to-access app or website would be better than having to get a printed copy to take a digital picture of. 

If a perfect tech world yes. Sadly on 3 cruises last year, on both SB and SS the apps and TVs continually had problems.  When they did work it was quite nice to have info at your fingertips around the ship. But, not ready for prime time.

Edited by highplanesdrifters
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

TVs continually had problems

Our TV was terrible on the Moon.  It locked up and froze constantly.  Turning it off and back on wasn't enough.  We had to unplug both the TV and ethernet cable from the wall to reset it, thanks to our butler who showed us what was necessary to provide a temporary fix.  Relying on the TV to get up to date info on daily activities was not always possible.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 8:12 PM, Silver Spectre said:

I just download them to my iPad

I'll have to look into how to do that! I got GS to email them to me before. I wasn't aware there was a way to get them on board electronically on your own device.

Another vote to keep them here. Its a souvenir which I always take home. Probably a bit crazy to have stacks of paper stored in a cupboard I may never look at again - but you'll never know! lol 

On 3/1/2023 at 3:59 AM, cruiseej said:

Silversea has a website you can access once onboard. Seabourn has an app, with some ups and downs; they also have the daily schedule and port info posted in Seabourn Square (reception area on steroids 😉 ).

Ah OK, that kinda rings a bell. I know my.silversea booking info dies once you are on board. Will have to check in a weeks time on the Dawn!

Edited by les37b

I actually think that's kind of cool that they still have them (sometimes?). I loved when I was young, traveling with my parents, poring over it. Part of the romance of travel for me I suppose. I've gotten used to the Celebrity app on my recent cruises with them but going to a website seems kind of clunky and I  Iike being able to write on them which activities I want to prioritize.

Hopefully I can request them on my cruise this fall if they aren't otherwise delivered.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, irvington said:

I actually think that's kind of cool that they still have them (sometimes?). I loved when I was young, traveling with my parents, poring over it. Part of the romance of travel for me I suppose. I've gotten used to the Celebrity app on my recent cruises with them but going to a website seems kind of clunky and I  Iike being able to write on them which activities I want to prioritize.

Hopefully I can request them on my cruise this fall if they aren't otherwise delivered.

It’s not clunky at all and it avoids the need for an app. It’s just a localised web page and IMHO is a rather neat way of handling the provision of ship specific info.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

Based on the dismal connection speed of the recently rolled out Starlink WiFi, the printed copy is much more reliable.

Onboard wifi wont be impacted by Starlink performance

If they are hosting things like menus and Chronicles on a local server onboard an internal wifi network should be delivering excellent speeds 

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread briefly to ask, as someone who will be taking their first SS cruise this Fall, where in all of these threads one can find a post showing a few typical 'Chronicles' for one of the newer SS ships.  Trying to get a sense of onboard activity on a typical day for Dawn.  My searches thus far haven't turned up any of them, but am sure that those who frequent the SS forum may recall where they might have seen them.

48 minutes ago, canderson said:

Resurrecting this thread briefly to ask, as someone who will be taking their first SS cruise this Fall, where in all of these threads one can find a post showing a few typical 'Chronicles' for one of the newer SS ships.  Trying to get a sense of onboard activity on a typical day for Dawn.  My searches thus far haven't turned up any of them, but am sure that those who frequent the SS forum may recall where they might have seen them.

There you go

13 Mar Bridgetown Embark.pdf

14 Mar Castries.pdf

15 Mar Day at Sea.pdf

16 Mar Oranjestad.pdf

17 Mar Kralendijk.pdf

18 Mar Willemstad.pdf

19 Mar Day at Sea.pdf

20 Mar Scarborough Tobago.pdf

21 Mar Bequia.pdf

22 Mar St Georges.pdf

23 Mar Bridgetown Debark.pdf

23 Mar Bridgetown Embark.pdf

Biography of Silver Dawn Officers.pdf

• Like 1

So it appears that each evening's primary entertainment starts at ~9:45pm each night.  Good to know.  Looks like entertainment in Silver Note doesn't start until ~8:45pm each night. 

With one 'show' per night, are there ever seating issues in the Venetian?

17 minutes ago, HappyCamper777 said:

Looks like 8:00p to me in Dr. Ron’s post.

Looking at Les37b's helpful PDF files, I see 8:45 every evening (Blue Rose Jazz Duo) of that Dawn cruise.  Perhaps it's just a Dawn thing, or something specific to that cruise?