Canaletto shutting down (temporarily?) on Rotterdam March 8

Turtles06

Thanks for the heads up for Canaletto menu change.  The Navigator app for my May cruise shows the old Canaletto menu but the HAL website has the new menu.  My website is now updated.

FWIW the HAL website has a new PG menu for my Volendam and Nieuw Amsterdam cruises that does not have the $7 extra appetizer charge.  It also brings back the Alaskan King Crab legs and petite filet Mignon.  Hopefully, somebody onboard now can confirm.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Crew News said:

FWIW the HAL website has a new PG menu for my Volendam and Nieuw Amsterdam cruises that does not have the $7 extra appetizer charge.  It also brings back the Alaskan King Crab legs and petite filet Mignon.  Hopefully, somebody onboard now can confirm.

Glad to hear this! Thanks.

I'm glad to see the daily specials remain, that new ravioli sounds delicious, and I'm honestly not upset about the price increase as we found Canaletto on our last two cruises MUCH, MUCH improved from the past.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Our dinner is booked under the HIA promo (but shows it would otherwise have been $44.80 for two. Yes, a pretty hefty increase). 

We used our HIA on Pinnacle and Tamarind.  Paid for Canaletto out-of-pocket because it was less than the other two. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

We used our HIA on Pinnacle and Tamarind.  Paid for Canaletto out-of-pocket because it was less than the other two. 😁

Definitely the right mathematical call. 😊 (We’re on a 21-night cruise, so our HIA gives us one dinner in all three restaurants.)

• Like 2

To those looking at the menu posted previously I don’t think that is the new menu, but rather just a version of the old menu. The new menu reportedly features a bunch of new entrees including use of scallops, veal and offering the ossobuco and chicken parmigiana every night. There will be nightly specials but not like they currently offer (not same each night but dependent on what is available that particular night) so don’t get too attached to the menu that’s been posted as it isn’t consistent with what I have been told about. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

To those looking at the menu posted previously I don’t think that is the new menu, but rather just a version of the old menu. The new menu reportedly features a bunch of new entrees including use of scallops, veal and offering the ossobuco and chicken parmigiana every night. There will be nightly specials but not like they currently offer (not same each night but dependent on what is available that particular night) so don’t get too attached to the menu that’s been posted as it isn’t consistent with what I have been told about. 

Thanks for that information.  I hope you are correct.   I'm guessing, as I said earlier, that HAL started rolling things out this weekend (March 8 being the stated "launch" date), and posted the new price this weekend, but perhaps not the new menu.   We should know soon.

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

A pseudo Italian restaurant with no Risotto??

I have just looked back at a couple of my 'Live from' threads and there was a Lump Crab Risotto offered. What happened to it?

No one thought it worth the extra charge?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On our cruise on the NS a few weeks ago, we were surprised to be told we could only order one main p/p. We were a group and really like to do family share, which is challenging when some entrees only includes one or two items and some are too large for just one person.  I'm guessing things other than the price and menu are changing. We'll soon see!

On RDam now, and spoke with Michecan, hostess at Canaletto. The menu will have osso bucco regularly. Staff are supposed to be updated tonight by corporate as to the new menu. There will be specials, but not fixed ones. The price will be $25 rather than $22. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, QuattroRomeo said:

On RDam now, and spoke with Michecan, hostess at Canaletto. The menu will have osso bucco regularly. Staff are supposed to be updated tonight by corporate as to the new menu. There will be specials, but not fixed ones. The price will be $25 rather than $22. 

Is that fleetwide?  I hope it is.

7 minutes ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Thanks for that update!

(Re pricing: the current price of $22 includes the service charge on the actual price of about $19.  The new price that showed up in my account over the weekend is $29.50, which appears to be $25 plus the service charge.  That would make the increase approx $6, or around 31%.   We'll see on March 8 what it all is... 🙂 )

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Michecan is one of my favorite HAL crew members.  Please tell her that Roger sends warm greetings.

Michecan told me that Osso Bucco, or any special meal, was available any night with a two-day notice, so enjoyed it on a Saturday night last December.

Edited by Crew News

Just made a reservation at Canelleto for our March 18 cruise. There was plenty of availability. Sure wish I'd reserved earlier under the previous price, but I did buy internet and laundry prior to the price increases for those, so it is what it is.

• Haha 1

That new menu looks great and for $29 it is a bargain. Looks like HAL is finally taking the venue to another level. It IMO, puts Canaletto on par with Celebrity's Tuscan grill, which now costs $55 plus 18% gratuity pp.

• Like 2

Seems odd that there really aren't many pasta dishes or even dishes that come with a side of spaghetti. The house-made pasta is a big draw for me. I wonder if ordering a side of pasta would be considered a second entree and cost me $10.

• Like 1

Wow!!  They have really cut the menu back.  Although a happy camper that I can order Osso Bucco every night, where are the soups (minestrone or tomato-based seafood)???  And the braised short ribs with gnocchi???  So far the original menu still shows for the Zuiderdam TA/British Isles that sails May 12th but with the newly raised price so guess we'll see how quickly they roll this out to all ships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Real NHDOC said:

Here is the ACTUAL new menu just available today on Rotterdam

A3413276-A518-4CEB-975C-7833C6A8EDB4.jpeg

Thanks.  I find this menu much more appealing than the old one, and more in line with the menus I see in Italy.  Although my past experiences at Canaletto had me saying “never again”, the recent positive reviews, and this new menu, has me thinking I’ll give it one more try.

• Like 3