The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday March 2nd, 2023

@Quartzsite Cruiser, your suggestion for freezing smaller portions is great, except for a few things.  Person in charge of freezer doesn’t keep track of what is there and forgets to write down what is there.  Things get lost in chest freezer, and by the time is located, it is usually freezer burned. So, to avoid food waste I just eat things for several days in a row.  Repeat meals don’t bother me.  When DH was alive, we had a different meal every day - both lunch and dinner.  It honestly boils down to a disorganized cook!  🤪🤪

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I thought you might appreciate this meme.

May be an illustration of text that says 'Misg w ልላ OK. ROGER! THAT'S ALL THE TIME I'VE GOT FOR NOWI I'LL TRY ΤΟ GET BACK TO YOU IN A WEEK OR TWO ΤΟ FINISH UP WITH THE JOB. In a tremendous stroke of luck, Dr. Remley has the opportunity to perform surgery on the contractor who renovated his kitchen.'

Of course, anyone who has had to wait on a contractor will appreciate it too.

Lenda

Hope you got through the storms ok down your way Lenda.  They sure packed a wallop moving through DFW this evening - sustained winds of 75 mph for quite a while.  Luckily, we only lost power for a minute or so and it came right back on.  Nothing like spring time in TX!  

• Like 6

Good evening.  The first wave of rain storms moved through here a while ago, and we got 1/2 inch of rain.  While we are still under a wind advisory until 10 am timorrow, the tornado watch has ended.  Two more bands of rain will pass through here overnight, but neither look to be as intense.  

4 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Today has been a good day.  Went to my final physical therapy session this morning for the leg fracture.  The therapist did a few tests to see how far I could bend the ankle in different directions and how much pressure it could exert in different directions.  All the numbers were good, some surprisingly better than just a week ago.  So I can consider myself healed.  I was talking to the therapist about computer applications and he said he was amazed at what the new ap ChatGPT can do.  He had it on his laptop and showed how it could write a three paragraph description of the first year of the American Revolution just by him asking it to do that.  I asked him to have it describe a one day walking tour for a tourist in Yokohama.  The results were amazing!  I just bought a 900 page Lonely Planet book on Japan and have started to research some of the ports, but using ChatGPT may make the old way of researching a port obsolete.  Have any of us in this group tried it yet?

Ray

Ray, I'm glad all thenumbers were good, and you are healed.  Thanks for the information about ChatGPT.

1 hour ago, tupper10 said:

Sorry to hear about more people passing and funerals today.  

Cruising Along - it sounds like things went well with your doctor. I hope your kidney issues resolve.

Sandy you are doing quite the task, as is Debbie, Vanessa and the others who post the drink and wines.  It is quite a task and done nowhere else on this site by any group of people. Thank you all for doing this every single day and thank you Rich for doing this in advance for this group.

I loved the pictures of the Cat in the Hat and all of the new puppies that have been posted recently.  

Vanessa for now you can take me off of the care list. As I thought the surgeon said I needed surgery since I have a broken bone in my lower back and it will not get better on its own. As of now it is scheduled for early May but I am hoping they can move it up to April since I have my son's wedding in mid  June which will entail traveling by plane though thankfully not a long flight. The surgeon swore I would be fine to do this since it gives me 6 weeks of recuperation time.  

We had booked a wonderful long cruise this summer to Iceland, Scotland and Norway on the Rotterdam, for this summer,  but given the very long flights and the intensity of the ports, we thought it would be best to cancel.   We have had this reservation for over a year so I am quite bummed out with having to cancel though I know it is for the best.     So now I have to cancel all the private shore excursions, hotel etc.  Oh well.   We booked a Princess cruise for July 2024 doing Iceland and Norway. For those of you who have taken princess can you let me know if this is a mistake. The  ship is the Sky Princess and it goes out of Southampton which allows us to take a non stop flight from FL and is port intensive. I actually liked the fact that it was only 14 days since we thought we would spend some time in London seeing the sights either before of after the cruise. 

I hope everyone has a good evening.  

I'm sorry you need back surgery, but the broken bone needs fixing.  Sorry you had to cancel the cruise, but you'll be in better shape next year.

13 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser, your suggestion for freezing smaller portions is great, except for a few things.  Person in charge of freezer doesn’t keep track of what is there and forgets to write down what is there.  Things get lost in chest freezer, and by the time is located, it is usually freezer burned. So, to avoid food waste I just eat things for several days in a row.  Repeat meals don’t bother me.  When DH was alive, we had a different meal every day - both lunch and dinner.  It honestly boils down to a disorganized cook!  🤪🤪

Earlier this week,  I found the last of the King Ranch casserole I froze last fall before DH had hisnfirst surgery.  Once reheated, it was as good as when it was fresh.  So there is hope for long stored frozen food.

11 minutes ago, Kurtybee123 said:

Hope you got through the storms ok down your way Lenda.  They sure packed a wallop moving through DFW this evening - sustained winds of 75 mph for quite a while.  Luckily, we only lost power for a minute or so and it came right back on.  Nothing like spring time in TX!  

We faired a lot better than the metroplex and north of the DFW area.  We saw the coverage on the DFW news channels tonight, were glad we live where we do.  Glad your power was out for only a very short time. Most of the time we do better than other areas.  Being on the lake may help.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thanks Debbie.  It was a positive visit. She said that the illness I had in December for 2-3 weeks definitely caused the acute injury to my kidneys since before that I was doing ok. 

Of course she can't make any promises, but she said it's possible to get back on track.  I'm to continue doing what I'm doing (drink 64 oz water/day, exercise and avoid salt).  I was happy to hear that other than salt, I don't have to change my diet drastically.  We're tweaking another one of my blood pressure meds and will test in a month to see if that helps.  If not, we'll try other things.  So another month before I see if my labs have improved...

Carolyn, I'm glad the doctor visitmwas positive.  I doubt she wouldmhave mentioned the possibility of getting back on track if she didn't think the chances were in your favor.  Sending positive thoughts that improvement is in your future.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Wow, thank you so much. I'm really glad to hear that you're doing well.  It's kind of scary not knowing what's happening, and stories like yours are so helpful.  I'm not out of the woods, but at least feeling more hopeful.  If you don't mind my asking, what battery of tests did you have?  

Carolyn, I don’t know if I can entirely sort that out, because there were scans and things that might not show in My Chart.  I know I can see blood tests on there.  Tomorrow when my brain is fresh, I’ll dig in and see what is there.  I definitely got a more fine-tuned diagnosis than what Gfr and the regular blood work shows.  

I’m just really glad you didn’t get super bad news.  I didn’t want to say much before your visit because we all just have to deal with what comes up, but thank goodness things aren’t too far gone.  Btw…I wasn’t put on special diet either, but I definitely feel better when eating moderate amounts of protein etc.  Which is good to do anyhow.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Carolyn, I don’t know if I can entirely sort that out, because there were scans and things that might not show in My Chart.  I know I can see blood tests on there.  Tomorrow when my brain is fresh, I’ll dig in and see what is there.  I definitely got a more fine-tuned diagnosis than what Gfr and the regular blood work shows.  

I’m just really glad you didn’t get super bad news.  I didn’t want to say much before your visit because we all just have to deal with what comes up, but thank goodness things aren’t too far gone.  Btw…I wasn’t put on special diet either, but I definitely feel better when eating moderate amounts of protein etc.  Which is good to do anyhow.

Thank you!  Please don't go to any trouble, I was just curious if they went so far as biopsies but it doesn't sound like it.  The only scan I've had so far is an ultrasound, and the kidneys looked ok on that.  

I agree about the diet.  I can't eat a lot of meat at a time anyway so that's no hardship.  Again, thank you for sharing your experience. 

• Like 7

@StLouisCruisers i am so delighted to see the photos of the bike lift.  Years ago our previous mayor did a visit there and returned so excited about the lift.  I was tasked with identifying 4 locations where we could have one as well.  In the end it never happened, but so cool to see where the idea came from.   

• Like 5

This morning we had messages to do in town, then we drove to Port Chalmers to see Noordam, we thought she was looking very smart.  Enjoyed a delicious lunch at the Careys Bay Hotel, spoke with passengers who are  enjoying their cruise on the Noordam.   Several passengers had walked around from the ship to have lunch there.  

Thanks for all the Daily information today,  have not been to Trondheim, appreciate seeing all the photos, the bicycle lift is a good idea.

Everyday is Book Day here.  Our cat we adopted from the SPCA has settled in well, lets us know that she  controls this household.!!

@smitty34877  hope that your DH gets good news from the cardiologist. It's hard not to worry about medical conditions.

@Cruising-along  hope that your visit to the Nephrologist has given you some peace of mind.

@Cruzin Terri  such good news that the contractor will be returning tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, lobsternight said:

@StLouisCruisers i am so delighted to see the photos of the bike lift.  Years ago our previous mayor did a visit there and returned so excited about the lift.  I was tasked with identifying 4 locations where we could have one as well.  In the end it never happened, but so cool to see where the idea came from.   

It IS a good idea and interesting your town was thinking about doing it.  Did it ever come to pass?  They should have a lift of some kind for the pedestrians having to walk up that steep hill, too because it wasn't an easy walk.  If you don't walk to the fortress on the hill you might never see it.  The second time I was in Trondheim no one was using it so I'm glad I got the photos of the women using it the first visit.

4 hours ago, erewhon said:

This morning we had messages to do in town, then we drove to Port Chalmers to see Noordam, we thought she was looking very smart.  Enjoyed a delicious lunch at the Careys Bay Hotel, spoke with passengers who are  enjoying their cruise on the Noordam.   Several passengers had walked around from the ship to have lunch there.  

Thanks for all the Daily information today,  have not been to Trondheim, appreciate seeing all the photos, the bicycle lift is a good idea.

Everyday is Book Day here.  Our cat we adopted from the SPCA has settled in well, lets us know that she  controls this household.!!

@smitty34877  hope that your DH gets good news from the cardiologist. It's hard not to worry about medical conditions.

@Cruising-along  hope that your visit to the Nephrologist has given you some peace of mind.

@Cruzin Terri  such good news that the contractor will be returning tomorrow.

Thanks for your information on the Noordam!  I hope I can do a decent job of reporting on the ships in New Zealand from now on.  Enjoy your new kitten.  

• Like 2