Interesting Thought

slavens_09

14 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Part of it is guest preferences though I think. The days of the traditional MDR experience are dead, at least on Carnival, because that's what the guests want by and large. The traditional MDR on the Excel class is tiny considering the ship accommodates 6000+ guests. The only way the Excel class works is with "rotational" dining.

Guests have been pushed out of MDRs for years. On NCL, you almost have to eat in extra cost dining venues to get edible food.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Guests have been pushed out of MDRs for years. On NCL, you almost have to eat in extra cost dining venues to get edible food.

It's the most expensive way to serve their food so it makes sense that the mainstream cruise lines are pushing guests towards self-serve and walk-up options. We are seeing this with the decimating of Carnival's sea day brunch menu and hours. Yet another reason to look at lines that are a notch above.

22 minutes ago, mz-s said:

It's the most expensive way to serve their food so it makes sense that the mainstream cruise lines are pushing guests towards self-serve and walk-up options. We are seeing this with the decimating of Carnival's sea day brunch menu and hours. Yet another reason to look at lines that are a notch above.

Fresh off a notch above (allegedly) line, Celebrity, and as the ship had various plagues, nothing was self-serve. At least Carnival has more included venues, spread out, with open more hours, and less expensive room service. Celebrity does have a few uppity included venues for those who pay exorbitant amounts and higher priced specialty restaurants for the rest.

There is nothing wrong with Carnival's sea day brunch and as long as you check in before noon, you will be served. There basically is no change in hours for the workers and the differences in the menu are minuscule.

On 3/2/2023 at 7:37 PM, slavens_09 said:

Just a thought.

Could a part of the reason that Carnival has decided they are bringing back the cabin delivered Fun Times be that they are wanting to cut down on the amount of people carrying their phones with them all the time on the ship?

Fewer people with phones(cameras) could mean less people to take videos that go viral and make the cruise line look bad.

Just a random thought I had today.

hmm that is an interesting thought, but I think getting people off their phones would take more than paper of fun times. 

then again, wondering if they want the WIFI and internet to be faster and have less folks on.

I must've missed the announcement.  Was a date given when it would start?  When did they make the announcement?  I would love paper....get off electronics....no temptations...focus on family.  🙂   BTW...I DO appreciate those of you who do the live and non-live reviews...please keep them coming!

On 3/3/2023 at 6:33 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Carnival has totally embraced the phone for the fun hub app.  They simply are bringing it back because so many are reticent for change

Hi

It's not so much that I would be reticent of change. I just don't like the idea that I am practically forced to carry my phone when I am on a cruise/vacation. I realize that Carnival is not alone in doing this, but with the paper Fun Times and a set time dinner, I can see myself leaving my phone in the safe again.

If a waiter refused to come up with a menu, I would make sure the issue was resolved immediately. The wait staff would have a difficult time supporting their position. You just have to call the maitre d'. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

It's not so much that I would be reticent of change. I just don't like the idea that I am practically forced to carry my phone when I am on a cruise/vacation. I realize that Carnival is not alone in doing this, but with the paper Fun Times and a set time dinner, I can see myself leaving my phone in the safe again.

If a waiter refused to come up with a menu, I would make sure the issue was resolved immediately. The wait staff would have a difficult time supporting their position. You just have to call the maitre d'. 

Of course that would never happen.  The staff readily supplies paper menus for those that for whatever reason wants one.  Your “plan” on what to do when it occurs is not needed.  

On 3/4/2023 at 10:35 AM, firefly333 said:

We were on vista and the waiter refused to bring a paper menu. Never did. 

Wow! Sorry to hear that. Did he give any kind of justification for not providing one? I've had to ask for one a couple of times since they started posting them on the HUB, both times because I forgot my glasses and couldn't see the fine print on my phone. Both time I got a menu within 30 seconds and the waiter seemed happy to do it. 

23 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

That wasn’t what @firefly333 encountered. Post #18

I guess there are wildcards everywhere.  One stop to GS would remedy that.  I guess the point is WHY would they.  So now we know it happened once. My post the VAST majority (over 99%) would not stands.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sugar67 said:

I do almost everything on my phone BUT really disliked having to have it with me at all times on the ship.  I prefer the paper FUN times and menus.  I am a very visual person and like seeing everything printed out so I can do a process of elimination while trying to decide what to eat or what to do that day.  

Me too!!!  😁😁

• Like 1

DH and I are thrilled to learn that the Fun Times will be delivered to our cabin once again. We are not cell phone people at all and had to resort to going to Guest Services to retrieve a photocopy of the Fun Times every day. Now if they would just put a copy of the room service menu in the cabins again we would be grateful.

Perhaps it's just that my wife and I are fairly young, but every time we've asked for paper menus or asked to be checked-in for dining at the front desk we are treated a little like pariahs because we're not using our phones.

One thing that drew us to cruising is it is an unplugged vacation (we do not buy wifi, if anything we find free wifi or roaming on port days).

I'm fine with checking in for a table on the phone - that's convenient, but we appreciate the option to check-in at the desk. But I do look forward to the FunTimes - and hopefully printed menus by default - returning.

• Like 1

A plain jane version of the Daily Schedule has been on every ship and at certain locations for you to pick up.  The return is for the more information version (like prominent names of Captain, CD, port times, port contacts) and for it to be delivered.  

I was looking through an old one and even more convinced their reasoning is advertising.

The app doesn't have the ability to flash a sale at you and there's no ads in the app for the spa services and other things. It's there, but daily specials aren't shown in your face like it or not, like it is on paper.

Shopping things, sales, etc...have to have relied on eyes on that paper every day. 

The paper used the side galleys for these ads on these things. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 9:18 PM, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I'm not reticent of change either. I just enjoy reading the paper version while sitting on the toilet. Is this not when everyone does their daily reading? A cell phone just doesn't cut it.

On 3/4/2023 at 11:35 AM, firefly333 said:

Yes complaints. We were on vista and the waiter refused to bring a paper menu. Never did. 

I understand saving paper but some old people need a paper copy of things. ..without lectures.

I suppose that server would be reciting the menu to me. I'd absolutely refuse to use my phone...mainly because it wouldn't be on me. Give me a paper menu or you best be prepared to tell me the menu and answer my questions when I forget what you said. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why they don't just place the fun times at various "pick up" spots after 8 the night before.  That way they print less, those who want one will pick up one and those wishing to use the app could do that.  Sometimes things just don't need to be complicated...

On 3/10/2023 at 1:34 PM, cruiseny4life said:

I'm not reticent of change either. I just enjoy reading the paper version while sitting on the toilet. Is this not when everyone does their daily reading? A cell phone just doesn't cut it.

I suppose that server would be reciting the menu to me. I'd absolutely refuse to use my phone...mainly because it wouldn't be on me. Give me a paper menu or you best be prepared to tell me the menu and answer my questions when I forget what you said. 

Totally agree- what about people who do not have a phone? (or those who choose to lock it in the safe because they are on vacation.) I don't want to carry my phone with me everywhere onboard... I want to unplug...