Interesting Thought

slavens_09

Just a thought.

Could a part of the reason that Carnival has decided they are bringing back the cabin delivered Fun Times be that they are wanting to cut down on the amount of people carrying their phones with them all the time on the ship?

Fewer people with phones(cameras) could mean less people to take videos that go viral and make the cruise line look bad.

Just a random thought I had today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I think the main reason is the Fun Times drives revenue - it's an easy way to advertise bingo cards, drink of the day, etc. I wonder if they're going to bring back all the other advertisements that used to be delivered every day - art auction and Effy ads etc.

I don't think it's going to affect how many people carry their phones on them.

• Like 8

To be honest I see way more fun videos than I do bad ones. And there’s just as many bad videos about other cruise lines as there are about Carnival. I was just watching a video of a pretty bad fight on a Royal Caribbean cruise. I think the change is because of complaints. Lots of cruisers like to go social media free when on vacation. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had people tell me that they like to completely disconnect while cruising but Carnival makes it hard by not printing fun times and pushing the Hub app. I’ve also heard lots of complaints about scanning for menus instead of having actual menus to order from. So I think it’s more about people pushing back and not liking being pushed to use their phones. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, cruisinqt said:

To be honest I see way more fun videos than I do bad ones. And there’s just as many bad videos about other cruise lines as there are about Carnival. I was just watching a video of a pretty bad fight on a Royal Caribbean cruise. I think the change is because of complaints. Lots of cruisers like to go social media free when on vacation. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had people tell me that they like to completely disconnect while cruising but Carnival makes it hard by not printing fun times and pushing the Hub app. I’ve also heard lots of complaints about scanning for menus instead of having actual menus to order from. So I think it’s more about people pushing back and not liking being pushed to use their phones. 

I agree completely that there are more good videos than bad and that it happens on the other lines. 

I also agree that they brought it back because of the demand for it.

My thought was it’s just also convenient that bringing it back takes cameras out of people’s hands.

I understand your thinking, but I don't believe it plays a part.

IMO, it was a customer dissatisfaction issue as well as the previously mentioned revenue drop in certain areas like spa sales, drink of day, and the gift shops

• Like 3

We used to get a ton of flyers in our cabin mailbox for spa treatments, art auctions, etc.  This last cruise (Spirit) we literally got nothing except the invite to the past guest party. .  I used to love perusing the fun times the night before to see what was going on the next day.  I hated doing it on my cell, because 1.  I hate carrying my cell around all the time to check the schedule - I used to just lock it in the safe for the week, and 2.  I can't read the blasted schedule on my cell cause it is so small! (and yes, I can enlarge the font - just a pain to do imho.). Now I go to guest services or java blue to pick up the printed schedule at 6 a.m. on my way to the gym.  This may also put a bit of extra time into the cabin steward's schedules as they will have to drop off the fun times at night in the mail slot of the cabins that have morning cleaning.

I’m all for the phones, I use mine as a camera too. So I would have it with me regardless. But I really do miss the Funtimes in print. So I’ll gladly take that back. I like a tangible copy that I can circle things etc. 

• Like 1

I don't think it would have any bearing on how many people carry and use their phones throughout the day. I do think it's because there is a high demand from cruisers liking and requesting the paper copies. I used to bring them home to show friends/family who were interested in what happens and how you know what all is going on. I also like to use highlighters to mark which things I am interested in - they app is fine but I feel like a lot of cruisers miss various things because of where the information is located on the app. 

I liked the old Fun Times (and even older Cruise Capers). If they are coming back that's a plus in my book. 

I'm wondering if I'm in the minority when I bring a copy of Fun Times into port with me? The reason I do that is because it has the contact info for the port authorities should you have an issue while in port. I couldn't seem to find that info on the Hub APP. It could very well be there but I didn't find it. I also wasn't even sure if the Hub APP would work while miles away from the ship while touring or on an excursion. (I'm older and I don't have a huge affinity for cell phones). 

Edited by SeaScout
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 7:12 PM, cruisinqt said:

Yes complaints. We were on vista and the waiter refused to bring a paper menu. Never did. 

I understand saving paper but some old people need a paper copy of things. ..without lectures.

• Like 3

Carnival has been under judge's orders to drastically cut back on one time use of plastics, papers, etc. to decrease the amount of refuse they generate.  So the OP's opinion that Carnival is encouraging more wasteful practices isn't quite logical.

They have been known to disregard the judge's orders in the past however, so while not logical, it may be interesting to see how this plays out.  Carnival may get slammed again..

5 hours ago, evandbob said:

Carnival has been under judge's orders to drastically cut back on one time use of plastics, papers, etc. to decrease the amount of refuse they generate.  So the OP's opinion that Carnival is encouraging more wasteful practices isn't quite logical.

They have been known to disregard the judge's orders in the past however, so while not logical, it may be interesting to see how this plays out.  Carnival may get slammed again..

I have no desire to start beating a dead horse…again, but I think the judges orders, while ecology based have little do do with single use plastics (although that certainly is an area they are trying to improve on and it having much more to do with illegal dumping of liquid back into the sea (various Carnival brands) and more importantly about not meeting standards of how to measure their own actions and failure to report instances.

I do almost everything on my phone BUT really disliked having to have it with me at all times on the ship.  I prefer the paper FUN times and menus.  I am a very visual person and like seeing everything printed out so I can do a process of elimination while trying to decide what to eat or what to do that day.  

• Like 1

I had an interesting thought....

What if Carnival is trying to move us more towards a fast food menu (burgers, tenders/fries, burritos, pizza etc...) and away from the now diminishing the MDR through quality?

Fast food is cheaper, easier, less staff needed to prepare and serve.

Even Italian food is a long hold food that freezes well. It's Italian fast food. 

If everyone ate primarily fast (frozen) food, the entire menu cost per person would drop significantly

Edited by EngIceDave

24 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

If everyone ate primarily fast (frozen) food, the entire menu cost per person would drop significantly

Hopefully they at least thaw it before serving. I think much, if not most, food served on a cruise ship was frozen at one point.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

I had an interesting thought....

What if Carnival is trying to move us more towards a fast food menu (burgers, tenders/fries, burritos, pizza etc...) and away from the now diminishing the MDR through quality?

Fast food is cheaper, easier, less staff needed to prepare and serve.

Even Italian food is a long hold food that freezes well. It's Italian fast food. 

Part of it is guest preferences though I think. The days of the traditional MDR experience are dead, at least on Carnival, because that's what the guests want by and large. The traditional MDR on the Excel class is tiny considering the ship accommodates 6000+ guests. The only way the Excel class works is with "rotational" dining.