Silver Spirits

tocruiseguy

1 hour ago, SJD117 said:

For the millionth time: A Viking passenger doesn't need the SS package to order off the wine list. The package is a form of payment, not availability. One can also order premium wines a la carte, by the glass or the bottle, and pay accordingly. The passenger is never limited to the "cheapest red or white."

Thanks, Saved me from answering ----- for the millionth time!

• Like 3

On 3/5/2023 at 12:44 PM, tocruiseguy said:

Interesting discussion......if anyone cares, I did the math and by the time we have a few sparkling waters, a diet coke or two plus highballs etc, I think it makes sense even if we don't hit $25 a day.  Like many have posted, the convenience is great, if I feel like a fru fru cocktail with an umbrella in it, I can order it or if I feel like a decent scotch I can do the same.  One more thing for Canadians.  I think it is best to purchase the package pre-cruise, as the everything on the ship is priced in USD you will avoid any exchange charge on your credit card.  

Sparkling water isn’t included?  🙄  Is it in the room fridge?

Sparkling water and sodas are free during meal times at dining venues or from room service.  If you are in a DV cabin or above your in-room fridge is restocked daily.  The crew was even handing out sparkling water as we left for excursions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dd57 said:

Sparkling water and sodas are free during meal times at dining venues or from room service.  If you are in a DV cabin or above your in-room fridge is restocked daily.  The crew was even handing out sparkling water as we left for excursions.

Also available on tap in the World Cafe 24/7 next to the coffee.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dd57 said:

It was always still water on our excursions.

Edited by duquephart
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MICHE99 said:

Sparkling water isn’t included?  🙄  Is it in the room fridge?

It will be in a carafe on the desk if you request it. When we sail, we request one sparkling and one still. I may be mistaken but I think I tried and the carafes won’t fit in the fridge😢

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

It will be in a carafe on the desk if you request it. When we sail, we request one sparkling and one still. I may be mistaken but I think I tried and the carafes won’t fit in the fridge😢

But your steward can bring you a fresh carafe twice a day if requested.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Hmmm. Wondering if I should buy some to bring on board. 

4 hours ago, duquephart said:

It was always still water on our excursions.

Yeah I was really surprised when I opened the bottle and took a big swig expecting still water.  This was on the Mars last August.  I made sure to check after that experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MICHE99 said:

Hmmm. Wondering if I should buy some to bring on board. 

Only if you are wanting it to be cold without ice or to take off the ship.  Otherwise, why not drink the provided? And if you have Silver Spirits, just ask for an unopened bottle at mealtime and take to your cabin. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

interesting thought....If you do not have the SS package mixers might be a cost...how much is a cherry worth? or sweet vermouth and bitters?  Bartenders will open a bottle of wine for you without a charge but mixing a cocktail I think is stretching Viking's policy.  Although given the wanting please culture of Viking staff I bet they would!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, milling73 said:

Can you add Spirits package at booking? What is the price? I dont see where to price or add it. 

Price is $25 per day per person. Both passengers must buy it.

You can purchase it on My Viking Journey in the Onboard Experience section.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ray4Fun said:

Maybe just us. At $25 bucks a day. Easy decision. Have you been on a competitor lately?  Viking don't listen,,, Shhhhh

Right on.  If that's too much for someone then they should quit drinkin'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Question and comment. We're booked in a penthouse veranda for the first time. What alcohol is/can be stocked in the fridge? I'm partial to bourbon.

I was on a Med cruise with Viking last year and bought the SSBP. But I was extremely disappointed in the wine selection that was available. The selling point for the SSBP was and is "Any drinks up to $18.00 USD including premium wines by the glass." But NO glass of wine cost more than $10 on the menu. All their bottles of wine were similarly low priced. When I'm pricing out the value of the SSBP, I'm assuming I'll be able to factor in truly premium wine (i.e., something substantially better than the swill they pour for free). Thankfully, they did have a truly impressive selection of premium whiskey.

Has anyone else experienced the same situation? 

36 minutes ago, austinetc said:

Question and comment. We're booked in a penthouse veranda for the first time. What alcohol is/can be stocked in the fridge? I'm partial to bourbon.

I was on a Med cruise with Viking last year and bought the SSBP. But I was extremely disappointed in the wine selection that was available. The selling point for the SSBP was and is "Any drinks up to $18.00 USD including premium wines by the glass." But NO glass of wine cost more than $10 on the menu. All their bottles of wine were similarly low priced. When I'm pricing out the value of the SSBP, I'm assuming I'll be able to factor in truly premium wine (i.e., something substantially better than the swill they pour for free). Thankfully, they did have a truly impressive selection of premium whiskey.

Has anyone else experienced the same situation? 

The house or included wine will likely cost Viking 1.50 dollars or less a pour, depending what they can get cheap at the time. Anytthing over 5 dollars on the menu is likely to be OK. 10 dollars is higher end for the crowd pleasers that Viking stocks. 

We've allways found some acceptable wine on the lists, their single malt selection is basic but not disastrous

• Like 1

My experience is that bourbon is not available for stocking in the PV frig. Selections have been vodka (don't remember brand, probably Smirnoff's), gin (bombay), whisky (Dewars) and rum I think (don't remember brand). I've always requested all gin and after first day, that's all that was stocked.

Was just on the Venus at the end of January. Vodka was Smirnoff Red, gin was Beefeater. Had our selection adjusted to just gin and vodka. There originally was Bacardi rum and a whisky (Scotch) brand I wasn't familiar with. It was a blend and not a single malt for sure. 😊 If you want good stuff in your stateroom you'll want to bring your own bottle(s).