The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday March 6th, 2023

53 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Cefepime

Thanks for your help.

Terri

Yes it is an antibiotic in the class called cephalosporins used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. Unless you are allergic you should not have a problem. It just makes me so mad that this happens when there are so many checks in place to prevent this. Not a comfort for you I am sure but there are procedures in place that when this happens it is reviewed by the hospital and if it is a serious mistake that causes harm it does get reported to the state. I sat on the committee for my hospital for years. This will get thoroughly investigated. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Yes it is an antibiotic in the class called cephalosporins used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. Unless you are allergic you should not have a problem. It just makes me so mad that this happens when there are so many checks in place to prevent this. Not a comfort for you I am sure but there are procedures in place that when this happens it is reviewed by the hospital and if it is a serious mistake that causes harm it does get reported to the state. I sat on the committee for my hospital for years. This will get thoroughly investigated. 

Thank you.  What bothered me was the way the Doctor was so nonchalant about it.  He just said “Don’t worry, you’ll be all right” and left the room.  What was I to think?

Thanks for your help. You put my mind at ease.

Terri

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

What bothered me was the way the Doctor was so nonchalant about it.  He just said “Don’t worry, you’ll be all right” and left the room.  What was I to think?

While I agree that the hospital will investigate the error, I wouldn't count on it. I would report it myself to the chief medical officer of the hospital and to the state medical board.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Thank you to all of you for your concern and prayers.  I don’t know if I have the strength to name you all.  All I know is that I am hurting and I want to rest.  Just got back from getting the meds I need.

I have an Acute thoracic Myofacial Strain.  I have meds for the pain.  My PCP at the Mayo reviewed it and said it was okay to take.

I will be seeing him soon.

Just glad it is not a blood clot.

I have written all I can tonight and will post tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers.

Terri

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hi Everyone,

I am home.  I have a soft tissue strain and they gave me pain meds.  

The mistaken medicine they gave me by IV was an antibiotic, which they say will not hurt me.   I don't know whether I believe them, but I have the name of the stuff and I will let my PCP know what it is.

I am just glad I don't have a blood clot.  Having had four (2 in each lung) I was scared to death that I had another.  It was the same kind of pain.

Thank you all for your concern and prayers.

Terri

Glad you are feeling better Teri! Unlikely that antibiotic will hurt you or have any side effects. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

@kochleffelIn my opinion you have no reason to worry about your upcoming YA.  DH and I had a wonderful time on the Oosterdam Spanish Farewell in November 2023.  We enjoyed our stay in Barcelona prior to the cruise.  The ports were fantastic.  From Cadiz we took a tour to Seville and toured Barrio Santa Cruz, the historic Jewish quarter and the Royal Alcazar Palace,  a wonderful mix of Christian, Jewish and Muslim architecture.  My favorite port was the island of Madeira, I could go back there for a week.  The ship was not crowded, we took a very reasonable upgrade to a Signature Suite.  The staff was extraordinary.  The food was good.  We had an excellent guest lecturer and daily cooking demonstrations on sea days.  The ship was in fine shape.  @kazu did a live thread of our sailing and @ger_77was on the trip too.

Thanks. I'm not worried about the cruise itself, only about the other passengers. For those who expect it to be horrible, it will be.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thank you.  What bothered me was the way the Doctor was so nonchalant about it.  He just said “Don’t worry, you’ll be all right” and left the room.  What was I to think?

Thanks for your help. You put my mind at ease.

Terri

Another way to approach it is to talk to the patient advocate and describe your experience. This will push it up the chain of command. Ask that they write up an incident report if they haven’t. I will add it is ok if you don’t want to do this. I know it takes energy and whatever decision you make is the right one. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good evening.  After a busy afternoon trimming the shrubs and cleaning both flowerbeds, then making dinner and cleaning up the kitchen, I've finally had time to read the Daily.  It was another good afternoon to be outside working, and without too much effort, the flowerbeds look fresh and inviting.

6 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hi Everyone,

I am home.  I have a soft tissue strain and they gave me pain meds.  

The mistaken medicine they gave me by IV was an antibiotic, which they say will not hurt me.   I don't know whether I believe them, but I have the name of the stuff and I will let my PCP know what it is.

I am just glad I don't have a blood clot.  Having had four (2 in each lung) I was scared to death that I had another.  It was the same kind of pain.

Thank you all for your concern and prayers.

Terri

Terri, that is good news you didn't have a blood clot, and you have the name of the antibiotic you were mistakenly given.

4 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Lorraine, it is good we have our own Daily doctor who willingly gives us wise advice and comfort.  I was pleased with how careful all the hospitals and the rehab was when they gave DH his medicine or took his vitals.  They would scan the barcode on his wrist band then scan the barcode on each medicine before giving it to him. I could see where mistakes could be made, but the care they took was reassuring.

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thank you to all of you for your concern and prayers.  I don’t know if I have the strength to name you all.  All I know is that I am hurting and I want to rest.  Just got back from getting the meds I need.

I have an Acute thoracic Myofacial Strain.  I have meds for the pain.  My PCP at the Mayo reviewed it and said it was okay to take.

I will be seeing him soon.

Just glad it is not a blood clot.

I have written all I can tonight and will post tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers.

Terri

Terri, I'm glad your PCP checked out the antibiotic and reassured you.  Get some rest, and I hope you feel better tomorrow.

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Another way to approach it is to talk to the patient advocate and describe your experience. This will push it up the chain of command. Ask that they write up an incident report if they haven’t. I will add it is ok if you don’t want to do this. I know it takes energy and whatever decision you make is the right one. 

That sounds like a good way to make sure the drug error is noted and reviewed.  Hopefully, it would lead to changes to prevent another mixup that might have even worse consequences.

Lenda

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's another busy day on the Fleet/ Daily. 

Thanks for all the photos of Auckland, @Mtn2Sea you are brave to do the bungy jump.

@StLouisCruisers  the large Santa in you photo no longer lives in Auckland, has been transported to a new home in Central Otago.  We think that BHB would have been Noordam in your photo..

@JazzyV  liked seeing the Statendam, good memories of our  28 day Panama Canal cruise on board her.

@Cruising-along  lovely Hellebores.

@Cruzin Terri  what a relief that you do not have clots in you lungs, hope that you get a good sleep and feel better tomorrow.

@bennybear  welcome home, beautiful Jacaranda.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Good Evening!

Just now getting to the daily, busy day here.  I can celebrate Frozen food day as I keep a freezer stocked!  I figure between the freezer and pantry I could feed us for 6 months!  Might become boring but we would eat!  I think this comes from my Grandma's lessons from the great depression when they lived out in the farm county.  She taught me a lot of canning and then freezing for the "winter"  I do have to remind my self that I no longer have a houseful of kids to feed!  But I have been known to send dinners home with my daughters when they stop by!

We had good news for Dad.  We had a special, rotating mattress for his hospital bed finally arrive today (it has been on the way since November)  Hopefully it will help in positioning him and keeping him from developing any sores.  With 2 people we have been getting him up to the chair once a day, but with this bed, his wife can help change his position when we are not there.  Just pleased that we can keep him comfortable at home.

@Cruzin Terri  So glad you did not have a blood clot.  Be sure to rest!

Thank you all for the pictures of the port today.  I have enjoyed looking at them.

Take care everyone.

Denise

ps Hubby must have known it was "oreo" day he just came home with some!

• Like 10

7 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

@kazu, where are you?

It doesn't appear @kazu has posted anywhere on HAL since Saturday and not on The Fleet/Daily since Friday.  

Sending care, prayer, and hugs to @kazu

-Melisa

Hugs to @kazu.  She just posted a Bon Voyage so she is at least somewhat functional.

Roy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2