Gratuities for small children

Josie201

On 3/7/2023 at 6:59 PM, zitsky said:

I read this as there are children working on the ship and we have to tip them.

I was wondering if families with kids get tips from letting their kids pose for cute pictures with passengers.

Please tip the cabin attendants for any children in your cabin.  The generate at least as much work as an adult.  Your child may sail free as far as the cruise line is concerned but the cabin attendants deserve to be paid.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2023 at 1:02 PM, Denny01 said:

My opinion is ‘little children’ are more work for the stewards. A bit more messy; dippers in the trash and other such things. Our kids with a little granddaughter sailed with us and it was a real joy, but also more work for the staff. The waitstaff had the highchair all set up for her; had a snack ready for her to dive into and focused on her. The steward worked the room more and so on. 

We had joined friends who had one woman who had invited others and felt she ‘ran’ the group. She went to the desk and asked that gratuities for our and other peoples’ kids be removed since they were ‘just kids’. Did this without asking. I was extremely upset. No 1, that wasnt her place; No 2 as stated above, babies, toddlers and such make more work for the staff. I immediately added our gratuities back and told the woman to mind her own business. 

Enough. 

Den

I have heard this from many that have sailed with children.   They said that the staff really catered to them.    They felt that the workers deserved more in the way of gratuities because of all the attention, extra work,  and patience.  

I love our grandchildren that are 9 year old twins but there is no way that I could put up with them for 1 week confined in suite, and being in a regular cabin would be miserable.     I am selfish.   I go on a cruise to enjoy it and don’t think that I could with having to put up with them.  I am like Becker, no patience.

This is my opinion based on my grandchildren and I know that others may be different because theirs are angels.  😇

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 9:44 PM, perakcruiser said:

And to make things even more complicated we usually book our cruises in Europe. Where Celebrity only offers fare with all fees, taxes and gratuities included. Price is final. So there is anyway no option to cancel or adjust any gratuities, no matter if kids or adults. 

Well in our part of Europe Celebrity certainly offers fares with or without perks (gratuities etc) included.

58 minutes ago, miched said:

I have heard this from many that have sailed with children.   They said that the staff really catered to them.    They felt that the workers deserved more in the way of gratuities because of all the attention, extra work,  and patience.  

I love our grandchildren that are 9 year old twins but there is no way that I could put up with them for 1 week confined in suite, and being in a regular cabin would be miserable.     I am selfish.   I go on a cruise to enjoy it and don’t think that I could with having to put up with them.  I am like Becker, no patience.

This is my opinion based on my grandchildren and I know that others may be different because theirs are angels.  😇

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

They’re your relatives.  How do you think the rest of us feel?  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

That’s why when we sail with grandkids, we sail with their parents…..in their own SRs!

we will take our teen granddaughter sooner. 

den

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 3:50 PM, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I don't know why no one who has responded has addressed the fact that all guests in a room with an AI rate receive the same benefits.

All guests in an Eligible Booking will receive a Classic Drink Package, Gratuities (“Tips”) Included, and an unlimited Basic Wi-Fi Package.

Yes that is correct. We are taking our 12-year-old granddaughter with us on the Equinox in June. We are in a SS and she is getting the premium Wi-Fi, gratuities. $300 OBC and the zero proof drinks package, all show up on our final paid invoice. I know a 3 year old may not need the drinks or Wi-Fi but you may not be able to change just their bookings to a sail only rate. On our Equinox cruise the fare for our granddaughter in our SS cabin was about 50% of the adult fare for my wife and I.

Edited by terrydtx

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

They’re your relatives.  How do you think the rest of us feel?  😂

That is another reason I don’t take them cruising with me. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, SireDoime said:

Why are they having pre-pay tips for having little kids? Do they also charge for the baby inside a pregnant women as well?

All passengers, regardless of age, are charged gratuities. As it should be. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2023 at 7:37 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

They are still having to make up the 3 year old's bed, change out their towels, and clean up after them. You should still be tipping for them. 

As a reminder, the gratuities do not only go to the room stewards. They are shared by the dining staff, and others that one might not even come in contact with.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, iceleven said:

As a reminder, the gratuities do not only go to the room stewards. They are shared by the dining staff, and others that one might not even come in contact with.

Yes!! And it's almost a total guarantee that the kids make more of a mess eating than the adults. The crumbs alone... And given that kids tend to be pickier than most adults, finding things for them to eat and keeping THEM happy can be more of a challenge.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 2:12 PM, Josie201 said:

All bookings have the Drinks/Wi-fi/Prepaid Gratuities package. 

If the kids regardless of age are listed on the invoice with the AI, the gratuities for them will be paid by the AI. We have our 12-year-old granddaughter in our cabin for our June 4 Equinox cruise and here is how the AI is listed for all 3 of us in our cabin on the Celebrity invoice.

image.png.d3410aa386a8b0b3a85d3c6e4e05bdec.png

Edited by terrydtx

On 3/10/2023 at 1:00 PM, davekathy said:

All passengers, regardless of age, are charged gratuities. As it should be. 

This is stupid. They should just pay a fair salary, since what proof do you have that they actually get those tips; given how the service is on these ships. My last two cruises I encountered many crew who did not even deserve the job they had, despite my prepaid tips.

Oh, well...

Edited by SireDoime
wwww
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SireDoime said:

This is stupid. They should just pay a fair salary, since what proof do you have that they actually get those tips; given how the service is on these ships. My last two cruises I encountered many crew who did not even deserve the job they had, despite my prepaid tips.

Oh, well...

I agree.  Without accounting for the funds from the cruise lines, who knows where it all goes.  If it looks like revenue, smells like revenue, then its revenue and used accordingly.  Lets not forget these are corporations and their sole purpose is to make money, not give it away 🙂   Just add it to the fare and pay a livable wage.  Stop the guilt and virtue signaling nonsense.

7 hours ago, SireDoime said:

Oh, well...

You have choices. IMO, gratuities for all no matter their age should be included in the cruise fare. I don't concern myself about their workload, job security or wages. That's all between RC and their employees.

If service was that bad for you did you speak with that person or higher up about it? Did you annotate your bad experiences on your PCS?

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1