Carnival, why do you even make rules?

11 hours ago, windsor26 said:

Thats because you were not on the Carnival on 29th January 2023 with us

I am pretty sure Elaine's point was that in her experience, that was not typical.

Nor has it been mine, after taking 10+ cruises post-Covid.  Do some people dress "inappropriately" in the MDR? Sure.  But 45%? No way.  Under 5%.

Just curious - where did you embark and how long was the cruise?

• Like 5

I don't think it matters if we talk about dressing for dinner, smoking on the balcony or playing music by the pool. It ever ceases to amaze me the number of people who will book a cruise and then be adamant they should not have to comply with whatever the cruise line says the rules are. Yes, you paid for the cruise, so did everybody else. I don't own a cruise line or even a boat. I am certainly not privy to why the lines make the rules they do. every one of the rules is posted publicly. Back in the day you got it in writing. Now most everything is digital. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone if the rules are enforced when they break them.

As I wrote that last sentence, I realized that many of us would be genuinely surprised if the rules were enforced, and that is the gist of this thread. For whatever reason, Carnival (and other lines also) enforce their rules sporadically at best. Based on the new video, and some recent stories, it looks like some rules are going to be enforced but I am sure the majority of them will not. What is the point of rules if nobody follows them, and nobody enforces them?

• Like 8

There may be a bit of a change taking place @AFS1970, if even only at the margin.  If the reports are true that 10 folks were disembarked in Freeport over a Lido altercation then progress is being made. My hope is that those responsible were also permanently banned.  No doubt a company like Carnival walks a fine line.  But once they perceive their failure to enforce rules is hurting business, they'll start enforcing.  And of course each situation is unique.  A fight is different than a minor violation of the dress code.

As others have said, there's a lot of squeaky wheels here on CC.  I'm glad I have over 150 sea days experience to fall back on separating hyperbole from fact. 

• Like 7

On 3/7/2023 at 3:20 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Did you mention anything to Guest Services?   They may have thought everyone was enjoying the music? I can say for the first time in a year, there was no weed smell on the Spirit last week.  The signs in front of the terminals and the dogs frolicking before work may have altered some behavior.  

That's great news!  I was dreading having my hair and clothes smell of stinky weed!

• Like 1

Just returned on the Elation out of Jacksonville.   Tons of college kids.  I’ve never seen so many.  Well behaved pretty much.  No weed, no boom boxes.  

However, isn’t there a rule about wearing cover ups inside where the buffet is located?  

Gawd!   Too many thongs.  Too many bare bottoms waltzing past my plate while I’m eating. Gross. 

The strangest thing was … those wearing thongs just parked their fanny right down on the seat. without a towel.  😳

1 hour ago, audcc77 said:

Gawd!   Too many thongs.  Too many bare bottoms waltzing past my plate while I’m eating. Gross. 

The strangest thing was … those wearing thongs just parked their fanny right down on the seat. without a towel.  😳

I'll be on the elation in two weeks.  Don't mind the thongs, but wife may mind me not minding them..lol.
But yeah...don't care - could do without knowing sweaty body parts were all over the chairs before me.

Probably good about the weed - not sure if HR would buy that for a random drug test.  Then again, as I go around town here, if it hasn't affected me yet, I probably have a tolerance!

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Sabalon said:

Probably good about the weed - not sure if HR would buy that for a random drug test.  Then again, as I go around town here, if it hasn't affected me yet, I probably have a tolerance!

I have wondered about that also, in my city, you can drive down the street and the smell is picked up by your car's heat or AC. I am sure such concentration is fairly low, but the idea of how a potential contact high will affect tests at work is a question waiting to be asked in some companies.

24 minutes ago, AFS1970 said:

but the idea of how a potential contact high will affect tests at work is a question waiting to be asked in some companies.

I'm no expert on such things, but the one time I saw someone actually get a minor contact high was when he was directly downwind of someone at a concert that smoked a ton of weed for three hours.  I think if you can just "smell" it, the air isn't concentrated enough to trigger a positive.

Um, anyone want to experiment with that theory?

😉

20 hours ago, AFS1970 said:

I don't think it matters if we talk about dressing for dinner, smoking on the balcony or playing music by the pool. It ever ceases to amaze me the number of people who will book a cruise and then be adamant they should not have to comply with whatever the cruise line says the rules are. Yes, you paid for the cruise, so did everybody else. I don't own a cruise line or even a boat. I am certainly not privy to why the lines make the rules they do. every one of the rules is posted publicly. Back in the day you got it in writing. Now most everything is digital. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone if the rules are enforced when they break them.

As I wrote that last sentence, I realized that many of us would be genuinely surprised if the rules were enforced, and that is the gist of this thread. For whatever reason, Carnival (and other lines also) enforce their rules sporadically at best. Based on the new video, and some recent stories, it looks like some rules are going to be enforced but I am sure the majority of them will not. What is the point of rules if nobody follows them, and nobody enforces them?

Considering on a thread about Carnival not enforcing rules, there are posts from people  who ignore the rules.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AFS1970 said:

I have wondered about that also, in my city, you can drive down the street and the smell is picked up by your car's heat or AC. I am sure such concentration is fairly low, but the idea of how a potential contact high will affect tests at work is a question waiting to be asked in some companies.

I do know residual  odor on clothing is enough for me to pass on applicants where I work.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFS1970 said:

Even more so active duty military. 

On 3/10/2023 at 12:01 PM, Joebucks said:

Can't argue that point. However, people want laws and rules that don't impact them, but other people. Then when they are impacted, they don't want to pay the consequences. We have taught society that you can raise a scene and do what you want.

Which weed is on a similar theme. It is widely accepted now because it was mean to enforce. It's also a medicinal superfood now. 

They need to figure out how to make it "stink" free!  Women who spend ridiculous amounts of time on hair, makeup, and expensive clothes don't want to step out of their cabin and smell like weed the rest of the night!  It's disgusting!  Take the stink away and I won't care what you do because you're not affecting others.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I do know residual  odor on clothing is enough for me to pass on applicants where I work.  

In my experience, the "residual odor" on clothing of applicants is not actually residual.  Unless they got a ride to their interview in a weed-wagon, they are probably smoking the ganja on the reg.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

In my experience, the "residual odor" on clothing of applicants is not actually residual.  Unless they got a ride to their interview in a weed-wagon, they are probably smoking the ganja on the reg.

I know, but that's their story... "not my pants, man"

We got off Panorama last weekend and I was actually surprised by the overall behavior of the guests. (The only think that irks me is the inability for people to NOT slam their cabin doors all hours of the day)

Not once did I smell weed, no radios on the deck and no fights.

This week could be something different with a waiter we are close with told us that spring break starts and this week they were expecting 1500 kids and almost entirely red and blue cards this week.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
1 minute ago, pc_load_letter said:

Not once did I smell weed, no radios on the deck and no fights.

This week could be something different with a waiter we are close with told us that spring break starts and this week they were expecting 1500 kids and almost entirely red and blue cards this week.

I usually go wherever there is a beer pong tournament.  Funny stuff watching these spring breakers.

Gonna be a week to remember for sure 😉

Just got an email about my cruise in two weeks, how it occurs during spring break and all about the rules.   Just me and the wife - so don't care if I'm by the pool or not, not too crazy about Serenity, have some noise cancelling earbuds etc, and can probably out drink them.   Only one sea day (just a 4 day getaway) so I guess I'll get to watch them all stumble back from Senor Frogs.

• Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor
1 minute ago, Sabalon said:

so I guess I'll get to watch them all stumble back from Senor Frogs.

It's beer pong season people, AGAIN 😉

On 3/11/2023 at 2:32 PM, jean87510 said:

You lost me when you said Garth Brooks fan so not much on social graces.  And I suppose no other voting blocs or ethnic groups act like this.  If you really believe this, cruise on a 5 day out of San Juan or NYC.  

I think he was referring to the Song....Low Places.  lololol.    NOt really an insult.