The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday March 8th, 2023

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We've been to St. John's, Newfoundland, twice.  The first time in 2003 on Rotterdam VI, we took the Ho-Ho.  The second time was in 2019 on the Veendam.  We learned the Ho-Ho was gone, so we took the city bus that made a one hour loop.  You had to be prepared to stay an hour at any stop or to walk, and we spent an interesting hour at Cabot Tower.

I have enough pictures that I'll need to divide them into two posts.  Both posts will be a mix of pictures from both visits, and there will be a couple of repeats.  I apologize in advance for the quality of some of the pictures.  In 2003, it was cloudy with occasional rain and fog, so some of the pictures, especially distant shots, were not every good.

The Ho-Ho from 2003 and the local bus from 2019.

IMG_1620.thumb.JPG.86843590255dbbda995b38e897784618.JPG

The City bus, and we got a little narrative.

DSC08405.thumb.JPG.085651798fb2de260c8744c5fb4ec904.JPG

The Basilica Cathedral of St. John the Baptist as seen from the Veendam in 2019.

DSC08351.thumb.JPG.8a49ac18f2b27a47408ea12d56fc02b8.JPG

Inside the Basilica in 2003, with it's ornate ceiling.IMG_1625.thumb.JPG.f0893d3c715fb1075d50cfe20a4030f6.JPG

In 2019, we drove past St. Thomas Anglican Parish.

DSC08402.thumb.JPG.827f44384cf42602a9808d6f82e481c3.JPG

In 2019, we spent an hour at Signal Hill, including touring inside the Cabot Tower.

DSC08387.thumb.JPG.f47a3ad8f2857394f2272fe46039ca5b.JPG

One of the rooms at the top of the tower with the signal flags.

DSC08380.thumb.JPG.4dfa589687e5497a21ea8cd27f833eaf.JPG

A lower room in the tower

DSC08377.thumb.JPG.d7b2ac6b512b6ad814dd32ad67859e9b.JPG

The powder magazine

DSC08370.thumb.JPG.975e8bbccde771379ae1ee5f829d4ca2.JPG

DSC08371.thumb.JPG.2931668433a24aa67920c41ebd9f447d.JPG

A plaque commemorating the first trans-Atlantic radio signals. 

DSC08395.thumb.JPG.db6a2498736c3b6133675f365ad1beca.JPG

Part of the view from a BHBIMG_1640.thumb.JPG.1175ad4bf83460dc90216b5d2456194c.JPG

IMG_1641.thumb.JPG.931d56ecab4bc227334cd2e110c910f0.JPG

Fort Amherst from Signal Hill.  I know it's a repeat, but the WWII bunkers are visible in this picture.

IMG_1647.thumb.JPG.6c6df5a9cf0a5ab9ce63cbe07f9fce9e.JPG

Lenda

Great photos Lenda.

Graham.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Lenda thanks for the pictures. Brought back great memories of our port of call visit.

To All. Just received a call from my Doctor’s visit of a week ago. Drum Roll Please! I’m still cancer free from my bladder cancer of six years ago! 🙏 Of course, always the possibility it could pop up somewhere else but will deal with that at another time.

Dinner party with our dear friend at our house tonight and she’s doing the cooking. Her famous shrimp and grits. So good and the shrimp was harvested last night.

Thanks for all the contributions large and small to today’s Daily.

Bruce

Excellent news Bruce.

Absolutely delighted for you.

Graham.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We've been to St. John's, Newfoundland, twice.  The first time in 2003 on Rotterdam VI, we took the Ho-Ho.  The second time was in 2019 on the Veendam.  We learned the Ho-Ho was gone, so we took the city bus that made a one hour loop.  You had to be prepared to stay an hour at any stop or to walk, and we spent an interesting hour at Cabot Tower.

I have enough pictures that I'll need to divide them into two posts.  Both posts will be a mix of pictures from both visits, and there will be a couple of repeats.  I apologize in advance for the quality of some of the pictures.  In 2003, it was cloudy with occasional rain and fog, so some of the pictures, especially distant shots, were not every good.

The Ho-Ho from 2003 and the local bus from 2019.

IMG_1620.thumb.JPG.86843590255dbbda995b38e897784618.JPG

The City bus, and we got a little narrative.

DSC08405.thumb.JPG.085651798fb2de260c8744c5fb4ec904.JPG

The Basilica Cathedral of St. John the Baptist as seen from the Veendam in 2019.

DSC08351.thumb.JPG.8a49ac18f2b27a47408ea12d56fc02b8.JPG

Inside the Basilica in 2003, with it's ornate ceiling.IMG_1625.thumb.JPG.f0893d3c715fb1075d50cfe20a4030f6.JPG

In 2019, we drove past St. Thomas Anglican Parish.

DSC08402.thumb.JPG.827f44384cf42602a9808d6f82e481c3.JPG

In 2019, we spent an hour at Signal Hill, including touring inside the Cabot Tower.

DSC08387.thumb.JPG.f47a3ad8f2857394f2272fe46039ca5b.JPG

One of the rooms at the top of the tower with the signal flags.

DSC08380.thumb.JPG.4dfa589687e5497a21ea8cd27f833eaf.JPG

A lower room in the tower

DSC08377.thumb.JPG.d7b2ac6b512b6ad814dd32ad67859e9b.JPG

The powder magazine

DSC08370.thumb.JPG.975e8bbccde771379ae1ee5f829d4ca2.JPG

DSC08371.thumb.JPG.2931668433a24aa67920c41ebd9f447d.JPG

A plaque commemorating the first trans-Atlantic radio signals. 

DSC08395.thumb.JPG.db6a2498736c3b6133675f365ad1beca.JPG

Part of the view from a BHBIMG_1640.thumb.JPG.1175ad4bf83460dc90216b5d2456194c.JPG

IMG_1641.thumb.JPG.931d56ecab4bc227334cd2e110c910f0.JPG

Fort Amherst from Signal Hill.  I know it's a repeat, but the WWII bunkers are visible in this picture.

IMG_1647.thumb.JPG.6c6df5a9cf0a5ab9ce63cbe07f9fce9e.JPG

Lenda

I'm so glad  you posted these pictures, Lenda.  Sue and I want to go up to the top of Signal Hill and hike down.   So, I want bus #27.   Do you remember where you caught the bus, how much it was and can you do a credit card or does it have to be Canadian currency?

@aliaschief  Bruce, how wonderful for you!  Celebrate!

• Like 14

I was a working woman from the time I was 17 until I retired at 63. 40 of those years were in the insurance industry.

I always do my best proof-reading just after I hit enter or send.

The meal of the day looks fantastic. Will someone please cook this and invite me to dinner. I will bring wine but the the wine of the day as it is above my pay grade. 

We were on a VoV aboard the Eurodam when we recieved word that my mother had passed so we had to disembark at St. John's Newfoundland.. All I remember is our cabin stewart loading our suitcases over a fence into a waiting cab and proceeding up a steep hill to the airport. Thank you to those who posted photos as I will now have an idea of what we missed.

Jane

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Sandi.

Thanks everyone - but have no worries - I’m alive.  Just in a bad place right now between this time of year and having to provide death certificates and wills again. 😔  Today’s quote is quite fitting for me right now.

I’m trying to keep up with roll calls and spread sheets for cruises (all of which - other than one) that i am no longer going on -  not the most cheerful thing to do.  

Just don’t seem to have the energy or ability to keep up with the daily and don’t feel like posting cheerful memes.  

I guess I will be nasty though - it’s not International Women’s Working day - it’s International Women’s Day - a global event which celebrates much more than working women.  It’s a celebration of our social, economic, cultural and political achievements and marks the call to action to improve women’s equality world wide.

I’ll be back when I am in a better mood and more cheerful.  Thanks for caring. 🤗 

Sending you my best wishes Jacqui @kazu.

Graham.

IMG_20230305_211857.jpg

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@aliaschief,  Bruce, I was very happy to see your good news. As others have said,celebrate !

52 minutes ago, dfish said:

I

@aliaschief  Bruce, how wonderful for you!  Celebrate!

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Excellent news Bruce.

Absolutely delighted for you.

Graham.

Thanks folks and I just checked My Health App and all my lab work this morning was normal. We really enjoy the My Health App. If I didn’t have the app I would have had to wait until my doctor’s next Wednesday.

Ask if your medical facility or clinic uses the app. It gives one a very quick peace of mind or knowledge.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I just talked to the Doctor.  It was to be an e-visit but his internet was down and we just talked on the phone.  There were actually 4 tests, and nothing much to talk about.  I had exactly 1 minute of lower oxygen in the night so that was not a concern.  Nothing special about my blood work or a walk I took in his office last time.  There were some possible concerns from a CT scan.  He could not see the image as we talked because his internet was down.but he thinks the likely plan will be a repeat CT scan in about a month.  In the meantime, my feet seem to show signs of improvement

I think I slept to about 4 this morning.

Roy

hoping things get better for you.

Process of elemination in testing and doctors trying to figure out things can be tiring at best.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Light dusting of snow.

This was a photo from 1 of our CCTV cameras a few seconds ago.

Screenshot_20230308_221352.jpg

I guess snow does not occur that often in your area.

I live in PA and we have had 1 inch so far this winter.   

toodles.  PS put some mozz cheese on that pizza.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Great photos Lenda.

Graham.

Thank you, Graham.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I'm so glad  you posted these pictures, Lenda.  Sue and I want to go up to the top of Signal Hill and hike down.   So, I want bus #27.   Do you remember where you caught the bus, how much it was and can you do a credit card or does it have to be Canadian currency?

Debbie, we caught the bus on the main street which was  a block or so up from the pier.  The picture was taken in 2019, so I don't know if they still have that bus route, or if they still use that bus.  With Covid, things could have changed drastically.  I really don't remember how we paid for the bus, but we probably used Canadian currency since we keep some on hand. 

It is possible to walk to Signal Hill, and there is a sidewalk all the way, IIRC.  From the Johnson Geo Centre it would be a steep climb even with the sidewalk.  We talked about walking back to the Centre and catching the bus there, but just decided to wait and enjoy the scenery.  You might find out about the current situation by googling St. John's tourist info this summer.  Sorry I wasn't more help.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good evening.

I finally sat down since breakfast.  Besides having pain, I had a busy day. People in and out of this house all day plus having a dentist appointment.

Well, I don’t know if the meds they gave me in the ER had any side effects but I spent almost all night in the bathroom.  I cannot tell you what I would like to do to that doctor.

The tilers have laid down all the tiles.  Tomorrow they will do the grouting.  Then the bathroom is off limits for about 48 hours while the grout dries. 

Next week the vanity, toilet, mirrors and medicine cabinet will be installed.  The only thing left after that will be the glass door for the shower.  That will take about a week and cannot be measured until the shower is finished.  

i cannot believe the end is near.

I have an appointment with the PCP at the Mayo Clinic on March 23. So I will be in Jacksonville for a few days the week after next for a number of appointments.  I already had some appointments on the 22nd and am happy that I do not have to make a second trip. Staying one extra night is not too bad.

Thank you all again for your prayers and kind words.

The meds I was prescribed for the pain has not helped and I am not taking any more.  

We will see how things go.  I have some mineral ice and will apply that .

I have not read all the posts and will try to do so later. 

However, I do think it is an interesting collection of days.

I try not to be nasty, whether in person or on line.  I don’t like to hide behind a screen name.  

Cheers to all women.  We make the world go round.  

I try to proof read my posts.  Sometimes I miss things.  Autocorrect loves to change things.

I will skip the meal and libations.

As for the port, We were going to go to the Canadian Maritimes this September but changed our minds and will be going to Italy instead.

Thank you to Sandi, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for all your work and dedication to keep this thread going on a daily basis.

Since I have not read any posts yet, you are all held in my daily prayers and thank you all for keeping me in yours.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

I've been catching up on the Daily before dinner.  Lots of interesting updates from everyone, including good health news from @aliaschief and not so good with continued pain for @Cruzin Terri and difficult days for @kazu.   Either way we are here to rejoice or commiserate and always support you.  

For some reason today was busier than usual.  DH has been keeping busy doing chores all week.  I didn't make a honey do list, so this must be his own list of things that have been on his mind.  He did the power washing and shrub trimming, then today he washed his car and then changed the oil in the power washer.  That spurred me to clean the storm door glass and 3 windows that surround the patio which he power washed earlier this week.  Then I noticed the ironing was adding up so decided to do that.  Yes, I still iron things that need it, but I collect some over time after laundry days, and do it all at once.  Some of it was from our February cruise (DH's shirts and khakis mostly).  Meanwhile, the landscaping people arrived on our street and threw down the pine straw.  Eventually someone with a blower comes around to get it off the lawn and sidewalks, etc.  You should see the pile of pine straw around the tree next to the street!  It's a foot high!  It honestly looks ridiculous.  I'll have to go out and tamp down these piles around the trees and shrubs and pick it out of the shrubs.  I do have standards and this is not cutting it!.  All in all a good day.  I hope it turned out to be a good day for all of you!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, we caught the bus on the main street which was  a block or so up from the pier.  The picture was taken in 2019, so I don't know if they still have that bus route, or if they still use that bus.  With Covid, things could have changed drastically.  I really don't remember how we paid for the bus, but we probably used Canadian currency since we keep some on hand. 

It is possible to walk to Signal Hill, and there is a sidewalk all the way, IIRC.  From the Johnson Geo Centre it would be a steep climb even with the sidewalk.  We talked about walking back to the Centre and catching the bus there, but just decided to wait and enjoy the scenery.  You might find out about the current situation by googling St. John's tourist info this summer.  Sorry I wasn't more help.

But you were a help!   Thank you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Suggest you tell Rob to check his flight.  The Westerdam is in Okinawa today.

Ray

Oops!  Oosterdam ☺️

I guess I should have done a better job proofreading!

Edited by Mr. Boston
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think this is a first for us.  We just booked the Oosterdam for January 6, 2025 South America/Antarctica.  I don't think I've ever booked anything this far out.  We took advantage of the early booking perks and it seems to be a decent deal.  

We've got a big cruise this summer and then the next one will be the South America one.  In 2024 we're doing a road trip we're calling Circle Superior.  It is a driving trip around Lake Superior.  We're on our own time schedule and take as much or as little time as we want.

• Like 15

Thanks for the HAL Fleet locations and the daily information.

Thanks for the photos of today's destination, and for another Central Otago New Zealand wine, am not familiar with it, there are numerous wineries in Central Otago.

@aliaschief such good news to be 6 years free of cancer. Thanks for your humour today.

@smitty34877 pleased that you will be having help with Tana.

@kazu thank you for your post today, take care, sending hugs to you.

For the gardening club, our Eucryphia Nymansay is looking lovely, masses of flowers.  A lovely tree to grow in a smaller garden.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

A late good day to all!  We were fortunate to spend a week in St. John’s, a most fantastic place.  So enjoyed the fabulous photos, loved little Quidi Vidi, the friendliness of the people who spoke to you, the amazing home cooked food, the best mussels, seeing the puffins, lighthouses  and enjoying all the singing.  
We had time to explore in the area too, delightful Brigance, and some naughty named places that would get censored for sure.  If you have a chance there is a home renovation show called Rock Solid Builds that is set in this beautiful place.  It’s high on my list to return, but if you get too far off the beaten path you might not understand the language, lol.  But the Tim Hortons and Swiss Chalets let you know you’re still in Canada, but awful close to Ireland.  It takes longer to fly there than to London.

12 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

A misty miserable morning here. I kept putting off grocery shopping but now I have to do it in the rain. Luckily my rain jacket fits over my cast. 

I met up with some friends yesterday I had not seen for months. It was nice but I think almost harder on them seeing me without DH. Those firsts are always difficult. You get that sad hesitant look to see how I am doing. In one week it will be one year since he died. He was a hot rodder and loved to drive his Nova. I kept the mustang but sold the Nova because I could not reach the pedals with the modifications he made. We are planning a car ride to a place we would go to grab lunch and sit outside to talk around the cars. Fingers crossed the weather is good. I will need to get on detailing the Mustang it is a dusty mess. 

Debbie the recipes look delicious. It is one of my favorite meals. Roy I hope the test results will be helpful.  Terri I hope you are feeling better today. 

have a great day everyone. 

Those firsts are so hard!  Glad you kept the Mustang, I had several myself.  Do tell! 

12 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I just talked to the Doctor.  It was to be an e-visit but his internet was down and we just talked on the phone.  There were actually 4 tests, and nothing much to talk about.  I had exactly 1 minute of lower oxygen in the night so that was not a concern.  Nothing special about my blood work or a walk I took in his office last time.  There were some possible concerns from a CT scan.  He could not see the image as we talked because his internet was down.but he thinks the likely plan will be a repeat CT scan in about a month.  In the meantime, my feet seem to show signs of improvement

I think I slept to about 4 this morning.

Roy

Great news. 

12 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all. I think we should follow Debbie’s example and spread kindness. The world at this point in time seems to be full of nastiness and I sometimes despair. The last recipe looks very good and may show up for dinner at our house if the executive Chef agrees. I have both asparagus and mushrooms available.

Our visit to the second specialist regarding an aorta problem was encouraging. This doctor felt that the situation could be monitored and that he is already taking the necessary medication.He did say there was a procedure used frequently that can repair the ulceration with a graft if it comes to that. We all hope it does not come to that. It was a very happy car ride home!

We went to Newfoundland on the VOV but not that port. I would like to go back there some day as it was very beautiful.

Today we are interviewing a young woman who had worked with Tana years ago. I hope for the best as it is frankly a lot for me  at this point and I really do need more help.Fingers crossed!

It is windy and cooler today but the sun is shining. I will take the pups on a long walk when it hits 38 or so around noon. 
Have a great day everyone.

Glad things went well at the doctors, hoping the aide works out! 

12 hours ago, 0106 said:

As an English teacher. I am impressed with the quality of writing on this site.  You obviously celebrate proofreading every day.

136C6E0C-0333-4629-904E-FB02E53292C3.jpeg.95cd5284621670b65aac3db990e181f9.jpeg

I celebrate International Women all year.87DA4022-F33B-4D69-919D-B6B0B26EF6AE.thumb.jpeg.03dbe6a6976d1a1e2a7d93b246632216.jpeg

For the cat lovers…

375874BF-1516-49C0-BB60-443C0D3E55CF.thumb.jpeg.54876f77f65d705d18c68a9cf4e7e6f7.jpeg

For the children..,79E239B4-4F13-4BAF-ACD3-2EFEB0D01D04.jpeg.3b53a7aaa39011c5bb43b2b07fc24cf9.jpeg

For smiles…D4BD0868-178B-47BB-90FD-5C70599C39FC.jpeg.5c5530094acfdb59bc20ea59d0f4d990.jpeg

118E924F-0B56-459B-8B7A-FFF15C8DB24C.jpeg.c3d014be7c9ae9316cf9e7edbe0d5ebf.jpeg

I will follow @dfish and celebrate kindness instead of nastiness.

Did you get a email from HAL introducing Legendary Voyages?  Several have piqued my interest.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.   Here’s to those celebrating and cruising.

Nicely said! 

9 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Will pass on being nasty.  Don't we have too much of that every day?  I just sent happy Women's Day messages to our DD and DDIL.  Proofreading....probably my biggest pet peeve (besides nasty people).  It's so easy to proofread before hitting "send" but more and more don't bother to do that.  Ok, off my soap box!  🙂

The quote is a good one, will pass on the meal, drink and red wine. I would like the last recipe IF I omitted the mushrooms...is that allowed since it's a main ingredient??  🤣  We went to St. John's on the VOV in 2018 and had a very nice day.  Photos below.

Terry @smitty34877What wonderful news about the aide starting on Monday and also the encouraging visit with the 2nd specialist!

Sending gentle hugs to Jacqui @kazu

We were in St. John's in 2018 on the Voyage of the Vikings.  We took an all-day tour that day.

This is a photograph I bought while there.

2120770888_St.Johnsiceberg.thumb.jpg.ed682256c7eba614668d58f8b3227b22.jpg

And my photo of Fort Amherst, a similar view minus the iceberg!

1773680611_FortAmherstSt.Johns.jpg.2640e060e77b4b19bdfcf33eb61067d6.jpg

We went to Cape Spear, the easternmost point in North America.

1771492576_CapeSpear.thumb.jpg.f846ccc81ed1687cd05867118437a048.jpg

The oldest surviving lighthouse in Newfoundland

347508511_oldestsurvivinglighthouseinNewFoundland.thumb.jpg.83e34706e0bac785ac95376d7d5c5e8b.jpg

We went to Petit Harbor, a fishing village

1729642530_PetitHarbor.jpg.65bd4da2afd7ae7d992c429911c5c468.jpg

Petit Harbor

75789228_PetitHarbor2.jpg.1b9406a241d8741a6781b2aa2ac7549a.jpg

And Cabot Tower

1541807631_CabotTower3.thumb.jpg.53bb3ec254672bb7a45bde0a4cc91340.jpg

839015936_CabotTowerinfo.jpg.90a2bd99d327b4429aab7c31ea30e23c.jpg

Looking down on our ship (the old Rotterdam) from the tower

1304971676_Lookingdownonourshipfromtower.jpg.c03a6fd9702a37b57bcb0ce491cefc21.jpg

And the city of St. John's

1681079501_St.Johnscity.jpg.6f1541a0ba47883a73b8cd61c03c9a63.jpg

A friendly Newfie we saw in St. John's

Newfie.jpg.b663733413c4b1e28c6da4ca613053e4.jpg

Mallard Cottage, oldest house in Newfoundland now a restaurant

1616419251_MallardcottageoldesthouseinNF.jpg.87e4d6c5f6ba3190c38793c6fa8064e5.jpg

1013217841_MallardCottageinfo.thumb.jpg.b82e2af475e267df7e099561f95ffa5e.jpg

We visited Quidi Vidi

437195833_QuidiVidiwherewehadlunch.jpg.0491b25a02027c2601c498d2460db25e.jpg

1369885673_bridgeinQuidiVidi.jpg.be3b49ef9ea154b50d5a1873bd04c683.jpg

And had lunch at the Shamrock City Pub where we had fish & chips and beer made from the water of icebergs

1725742759_ShamrockCityPubwherewehadlunch.thumb.jpg.3d9021b6291c97979564cb77cb79d2a5.jpg

616830841_moosepoutine.thumb.jpg.999a9a2739db231cb7b5d05fd9770f5a.jpg

Wonderful! 

@aliaschief wonderful news!  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I think this is a first for us.  We just booked the Oosterdam for January 6, 2025 South America/Antarctica.  I don't think I've ever booked anything this far out.  We took advantage of the early booking perks and it seems to be a decent deal.  

We've got a big cruise this summer and then the next one will be the South America one.  In 2024 we're doing a road trip we're calling Circle Superior.  It is a driving trip around Lake Superior.  We're on our own time schedule and take as much or as little time as we want.

Oh Debbie..... We've been thinking of the Antarctic for a few years, in fact had one booked and then switched to the Grand Australia for next year.  We may just join you and Sue on this...

How much of a deposit do they want?  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Oh Debbie..... We've been thinking of the Antarctic for a few years, in fact had one booked and then switched to the Grand Australia for next year.  We may just join you and Sue on this...

How much of a deposit do they want?  

From my experience they want a $5000 deposit.  That is total not per person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2