Next Noordam Refurbishment

Kamfish642

Looking into the future at an April 2025 cruise on the Noordam around Japan; however, I'm somewhat concerned over the material condition of the vessel built in 2006 and last refurbished in 2017 (I believe).  Does anyone know where I can find if the Noordam is scheduled for a further refurbishment prior to April 2025.

By "material condition" you mean the decor of the ship, its systems like plumbing/HACV, or its seaworthiness?  

Having long sailed all the older HA ships, the only indication of age is the build up of paint layers against the relentless attacks of salt air - a constant battle with rust spots, but nothing that would affect its safety or stability.

Decor seems to go through periodic refurbishments on a scheduled basis so some times it is better than others,

Older plumbing-HACV systems can be more problematic on the older ships, and dependent upon where one is traveling - outside temperature the systems must contend with.

And sadly with the degree of care of your fellow passengers when it come  to flushing things down the toilet in disregard of posted prohibitions.  The older systems do not seem to be as forgiving as the newer systems which are more responsive to human carelessness.

The inside and outside cabins definitely need updating.  Bathroom especially: old peachy walls, old peachy tub, old not-so-great shower curtain which flaps around. Newer shower and sink fixtures. Nice wall-mounted, large TV. Older furniture, older chair and table, excellent bedding. Rest of interior is fine. This is not a Pinnacle class so you can have moderate expectations only.  I believe the 2022 drydock upgrades suites and maybe the next level down.

See photos on HALfacts.com Vista #4084 (from 2019), #4091(2019), #4199 (2022) and others.  Most are older so not helpful.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Speaking of 2017 dry docks, does anyone know when the Nieuw Amsterdam is getting its next dry dock? I thought April 2023 was mentioned somewhere, but that doesn't appear to be happening, since cruises are planned then...🤔

13 hours ago, 0106 said:

Noordam was last refurbished in March 2022.   This info was posted by @VMax1700 

4536035C-4B9A-4F50-B610-4FE4A119C14A.thumb.png.4da894b3de14195647a26348fca4213f.png

I like to think the term "refurbished" is not correct here; Dry Dock is primarily for maintenance for the hull (below water) and propulsion and while the ship is there, also other maintenance will performed, including sometimes larger projects like redoing larger public spaces like outside decks and inside spaces. During this period, also changes in some layouts can be done, but not necessarily.

Often a lot of things happen behind the scene, replacing mechanical equipment and so on. During cruises, you may observe routine maintenance is always going on, including re carpeting and replacing items in both public and cabin spaces. It often happens that in larger embarkation/debarkation ports, new items are loaded and later on, during a cruise, slowly replacing items that need replacing.

Edited by Alphen

• 5 months later...

Recent report was the cafe was  "near the library".

Yet the Noodeam deck plan shows no area labeled "library".  Just an empty space around the Exploration's coffee bar on deck 3 where we used to find fine HAL libraries. I will be on board in a few weeks, and this will be one area I am sure to check out to see what they did with this space. 

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

Explorations is still on Deck 3, but they also make coffee in the Crow’s Nest.

Thank you, that’s what I was wondering. We love our lattes up in the Crows nest.

54 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Recent report was the cafe was  "near the library".

Yet the Noodeam deck plan shows no area labeled "library".  Just an empty space around the Exploration's coffee bar on deck 3 where we used to find fine HAL libraries. I will be on board in a few weeks, and this will be one area I am sure to check out to see what they did with this space. 

On the Westerdam the Library is in the Crows Nest, which is also where they moved the Explorations café to. We were hoping they did the same on the Noordam. They also removed the Lincoln centre stage and the Northern lights Nightclub. I don’t know what they did during the Noordam dry dock.

3 minutes ago, jpnr said:

On the Westerdam the Library is in the Crows Nest, which is also where they moved the Explorations café to. We were hoping they did the same on the Noordam. They also removed the Lincoln centre stage and the Northern lights Nightclub. I don’t know what they did during the Noordam dry dock.

I see they still label one area Northern Lights on the Noordam, which always seemed to be a very underused and wasted space. Transformation in the Gallery Bar for table games  and more noisy group activities was a brilliant change. Sorry they did not do this on the Noordam .....yet .

Yes, I agree. The Northern Lights venue was never used. On the Westerdam last fall the gallery bar was a nice quiet place to grab a drink with friends. The noisy games were usually played in the crows nest. I wonder if they have removed the Lincoln Centre stage yet, as those musicians are moving to the main stage and the Explorers Lounge is to be expanded. I guess I will find out in 10 days.

• Like 1

Noordam has no actual “library” per se. Instead they have an excellent - absolutely excellent - selection of books on Deck 3 in the Explorations area plus additional book racks in the Crow’s Nest. I read six books in two weeks. This works much better - in my opinion - than a dedicated library space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was on Noordam for 2 weeks earlier this year and am booked for another cruise in 10 days.  I thought it was a great ship, but yes, the color scheme, esp. in the cabins, seems a little dated.   IIRC, there were books in the crows nest and games and books and crafts, by the coffee shop.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RD64 said:

Noordam has no actual “library” per se. Instead they have an excellent - absolutely excellent - selection of books on Deck 3 in the Explorations area plus additional book racks in the Crow’s Nest. I read six books in two weeks. This works much better - in my opinion - than a dedicated library space.

This is great news. Thanks.

Do remember how much of a  non-fiction section they had?

When we were on the Noordam late last year there were quite a few books in a small section in the Explorations Cafe on deck 3 as well as quite a few novels in a separate section across the aisle. When we got off the ship there were heaps of novels in the swap section. I know we left three there. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwifan56 said:

When we were on the Noordam late last year there were quite a few books in a small section in the Explorations Cafe on deck 3 as well as quite a few novels in a separate section across the aisle. When we got off the ship there were heaps of novels in the swap section. I know we left three there. 😀

@Kiwifan56   Is the book Swap section at the Explorations Cafe  on deck 3?

It;s good to see another"Kiwi" posting on CC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

@Kiwifan56   Is the book Swap section at the Explorations Cafe  on deck 3?

It;s good to see another"Kiwi" posting on CC

Yes. All the books in the Cafe area were basically reference books which needed to be returned but there were maybe three bays of novels across the walkway. Mostly fictional but there were a few non fictional too. There were a few in other languages which is not surprising given the international clientele. There were certain a lot more after our 35 day cruise.

Cheers! Don’t see that many Kiwis here but we aren’t known for waving the flag that much eh? 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most recently (Aug6-20th), the books were mostly non-fiction. From classics to current - something for everyone. One thing I have to say, it was a pleasure to see so many passengers walking around with books and reading.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RD64 said:

Most recently (Aug6-20th), the books were mostly non-fiction. From classics to current - something for everyone. One thing I have to say, it was a pleasure to see so many passengers walking around with books and reading.

HAL seems to be recognizing its prior demographics -- a lot of quiet readers, was an early and huge attraction for us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1