A question for you wine aficionados out there...

dlh015

I took the Behind The Scenes tour last January on the Equinox. I was putting together a photo album and rediscovered this pic I took in the wine prep/serving area behind the MDR. It seems to me from what I've read here and elsewhere that these bottles of wine are stored incorrectly. Now, it was obvious that they were meant to be stored that way because the hole for the neck of the bottle is at the bottom. 

I don't pretend to know a darn thing about wine storage, etc. But perhaps someone can illuminate me about some aspect of this??

I'm just curious...please don't beat me up too bad for my ignorance...lol...😁

IMG_20230115_143100433.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

I took the Behind The Scenes tour last January on the Equinox. I was putting together a photo album and rediscovered this pic I took in the wine prep/serving area behind the MDR. It seems to me from what I've read here and elsewhere that these bottles of wine are stored incorrectly. Now, it was obvious that they were meant to be stored that way because the hole for the neck of the bottle is at the bottom. 

I don't pretend to know a darn thing about wine storage, etc. But perhaps someone can illuminate me about some aspect of this??

Hi, dlh. Wine is stored with the neck down so that the wine flows down and keeps the cork wet and expanded, so that it keeps air out, which can ruin the wine. (asking questions is a great way to learn things!)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

15 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

IMG_20230115_143100433.jpg

Why do you think they're stored incorrectly?  Not sure I understand?

Are you concerned they're stored with the bottle angled down towards the cork? Which I think is what I'm seeing in the photo? It both keeps the cork from drying out, and keeps air out of the bottle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all. I was curious because I always thought wine was stored so the particulates settled to the bottom. I thought I had read that...

I hadn't considered the cork but now that I've been educated, it makes perfect sense.

I guess one turns the bottom up for some period prior to opening in order to allow particulates to sink and get better wine clarity, etc?

• Like 1

It appears, to me, that the bottom of the bottle is on the outside and at a higher level than the top of the bottle which is lower. This will cause sediment to pool down toward the cork, which is not ideal. However, if these bottles are replaced frequently, as they are prone to on ships, I would think this would work fine, especially if they are in this position in order to prevent falling out of their racks during rough seas. If they were stored level, this might be more hazardous. Just my 11 cents and only my thoughts.

2 hours ago, dlh015 said:

Thanks all. I was curious because I always thought wine was stored so the particulates settled to the bottom. I thought I had read that...

Prior to serving, you take the bottle off the wine rack and stand it upright for a few hours for the sediment to settle at the bottom of the bottle. Drinking that very special aged bottle of wine takes a little advanced planning. Just opening and immediately pouring would likely be doing it a disservice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Prior to serving, you take the bottle off the wine rack and stand it upright for a few hours for the sediment to settle at the bottom of the bottle. Drinking that very special aged bottle of wine takes a little advanced planning. Just opening and immediately pouring would likely be doing it a disservice.

Rich, Any idea why a wine bottle would have sediment at/near the neck of the bottle?  I store my wines mostly flat in a wine refrigerator.  I've had 2-3 bottles from the same winery that show sediment in the neck.  I really should ask the winery but I've never seen it on any other wine bottle.  And let me tell you, I've seen a lot of wine bottles.  😁

53 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Rich, Any idea why a wine bottle would have sediment at/near the neck of the bottle?  I store my wines mostly flat in a wine refrigerator.  I've had 2-3 bottles from the same winery that show sediment in the neck.  I really should ask the winery but I've never seen it on any other wine bottle.  And let me tell you, I've seen a lot of wine bottles.  😁

When stored properly, that's the low point so the sediment gathers there. There's some debate on whether or not to turn the bottles periodically while aging, but I'll leave that to the experts.

5 hours ago, dlh015 said:

I hadn't considered the cork but now that I've been educated, it makes perfect sense.

I guess one turns the bottom up for some period prior to opening in order to allow particulates to sink and get better wine clarity, etc?

With the use of synthetic "cork" and screw top bottles, even for premium wines, one wonder if the traditional storage method will evolve.

You may also be think of the process of decanting a nice bottle of Red wine.  

How to Properly Decant Your Wines

1. Start by sitting your bottle upright for at least 24 hours before decanting, especially if you store your wines horizontally. ...
  2. Open the bottle.
  3. Slowly tilt the bottle toward the decanter. ...
  4. Pour the wine into the decanter slowly but steadily.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Decanting also often is done through a filter to catch sediment. 

Without getting into a bunch of deeper chemistry, the sediment typically is the crystalline form of a tartaric acid salt. You'll find the same stuff on your grocery store shelf sold as "cream of tartar."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Without getting into a bunch of deeper chemistry, the sediment typically is the crystalline form of a tartaric acid salt. You'll find the same stuff on your grocery store shelf sold as "cream of tartar."

Aka “wine diamonds”. 🙂

• Like 2

On 3/10/2023 at 12:00 PM, dlh015 said:

As others have said. the idea is to keep the cork moist so that it doesn't dry out and cause the wine to oxidize.  Most storage racks (such as my basement cellar in the photo) store the wine bottle level with no pitch.

image.thumb.jpeg.a91bf3b30366d48fed430caec382bc63.jpeg

Cellared California Cabs: Caymus, Heitz, Simi, and DIamond Creek

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Well acid and salt can’t possibly be good for you.  🙂

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

As others have said. the idea is to keep the cork moist so that it doesn't dry out and cause the wine to oxidize.  Most storage racks (such as my basement cellar in the photo) store the wine bottle level with no pitch.

image.thumb.jpeg.a91bf3b30366d48fed430caec382bc63.jpeg

Cellared California Cabs: Caymus, Heitz, Simi, and DIamond Creek

Your corks will still be moist, but I would bet your cellar is never subjected to the movement of a ship where it is safer to store bottles with the neck down rather than level.

Good looking collection! 😊

• Like 1

Most, if not all, of the wines that Celebrity carries on their ships do not require decanting.  I have yet to observe a sommelier performing it (for the limited number of cruises that I have taken).

8 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

Your corks will still be moist, but I would bet your cellar is never subjected to the movement of a ship where it is safer to store bottles with the neck down rather than level.

Good looking collection! 😊

Thank you.  I am more a collector than connoisseur.  I imagine that you are right that there are other considerations for storing wine securely at sea.  

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2

We did that tour years ago. I seem to recall that area is not where the expensive bottles are stored. The bottles you see in that photo are mostly inexpensive wines poured by the glass. They are rarely more than 1-2 years old. They also get cycled through easily in a night or two so the way they are stored there temporarily doesn’t have any effect. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Most, if not all, of the wines that Celebrity carries on their ships do not require decanting.  I have yet to observe a sommelier performing it (for the limited number of cruises that I have taken).

I've seen it done but not on Celebrity. 

5 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I would never order a bottle that required decanting on a cruise ship. IMO it's not possible to properly store such a bottle on a ship that constantly rocks in the ocean. Save that experience for land-based occasions.

• Like 1

Actually, decanting young (red) wines can truly enhance their drinkability.  You aren't looking to filter out the sediments more common with older vintages, but to get the tight tannins of younger wines to relax with exposure to air.  We always say that air is first the friend then the enemy of wine.  

For storage, consistent temperature, ideally in the 50's, storing with the neck slightly down, and darkness are key.  For the wines on the ship, the movement, vibrations and mark-up are likely to deter me from ordering anything too rare or expensive. Not ideal conditions, so I mostly look for something simply pleasant.

And it kills me to pay those prices when, in retirement, I work for a Napa winery!😁

Edited by Blazerboy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Blazerboy said:

Actually, decanting young (red) wines can truly enhance their drinkability.  You aren't looking to filter out the sediments more common with older vintages, but to get the tight tannins of younger wines to relax with exposure to air. 

I was going to say the same thing.  Decanting a young, bone dry red can do wonders.