Celebrity Alcohol Upgrade

bboop51

We have the basic booze package that come with our cruise.  I don't  (and can't) drink.   We always upgrade the hubby's package to premium.

I just called Celebrity to that for our May sailing and was informed that we both had to upgrade.

My response, of course, was since when ? And I got back, this month.

I got a lot of what extras there were for, even though I can't drink, like the extra coffee drinks. I pointed out to the rep that they all contain alcohol.

He did inform me if I got a medical note they may change my status to zero proof and allow the other passenger to upgrade, but it sounded iffy.

WTH ..  I get that everyone has to have a package, but this is crazy.

18 minutes ago, bboop51 said:

We have the basic booze package that come with our cruise.  I don't  (and can't) drink.   We always upgrade the hubby's package to premium.

I just called Celebrity to that for our May sailing and was informed that we both had to upgrade.

I got a lot of what extras there were for, even though I can't drink, like the extra coffee drinks. I pointed out to the rep that they all contain alcohol.

He did inform me if I got a medical note they may change my status to zero proof and allow the other passenger to upgrade, but it sounded iffy.

Call again. I'll bet you get a different answer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Send the note about medical reason to not drink - at least other people have had success with that.

I hate to bother a Doctor. They are busy enough.  I feel like I'm in school and need a Drs note to stay out sick. I'll work on it. I'm really frosted.  Hubby says just pay for both and drink the Perrier instead of the cheap club soda, I usually do. lol.  The "funny thing was when the rep was trying to "sell" ME on the premium package he was explaining about the "upgraded coffees. I had to explain to him the upgraded coffees contained alcohol (me rolling my eyes.)

42 minutes ago, bboop51 said:

I hate to bother a Doctor. They are busy enough.  I feel like I'm in school and need a Drs note to stay out sick. I'll work on it. I'm really frosted.  Hubby says just pay for both and drink the Perrier instead of the cheap club soda, I usually do. lol.  The "funny thing was when the rep was trying to "sell" ME on the premium package he was explaining about the "upgraded coffees. I had to explain to him the upgraded coffees contained alcohol (me rolling my eyes.)

I will bet that the doctor has staff to handle such things and all he needs to do is add a signature, so if it is a medical issue, you should definitely involve the doctors office

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bboop51 said:

I would suggest paying the up charge per drink and leaving it alone.

It may even end up costing less than if your husband was able to upgrade his basic package.

Hope you have a great cruise 🚢 

• Like 1

I agree it has not been this way in the recent past. This must be an official change as it is shown in the FAQ:

Does everyone in the stateroom need to purchase the same drink package, including upgrades? 

The Drink Package Policy requires all guests to purchase the same Drink Package for ALL guests of legal drinking age in the same stateroom (ex. if one guest chooses to upgrade to the Premium Drink Package, ALL guests of legal drinking age in the stateroom must upgrade) This policy applies to packages purchased pre-cruise and onboard. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/beverage-packages

2 hours ago, bboop51 said:

With a note from your doctor the policy is to downgrade your package to zero proof.  It isn't crazy just getting bad information.

You answer is on the FAQ section of the Celebrity website.

FAR EASIER to do on board late the day you board OR ask at checkin.

• Like 2

well that is a different answer that what we got. Have Classic package and wanted to upgrade to Premium.  We were asked if we both wanted to do the upgrade.  That implies one can upgrade and other not

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1Virgo said:

well that is a different answer that what we got. Have Classic package and wanted to upgrade to Premium.  We were asked if we both wanted to do the upgrade.  That implies one can upgrade and other not

I may try again. This guy said the computer would not allow it. There was a skit on Little Britain year again and the line was always went "computer says no !"  that's what he reminded of .

• Haha 3

Rather than both of you upgrading,which I can understand you not wanting to, depending on what your husband drinks that is premium, it might end up not costing too much for him to just pay the difference for the premium drinks.

Laura

• Like 1

I recently upgraded my drink package to premium and was told that both had to upgrade. My wife is not a big drinker. She likes a Grasshopper and a Mint Cookie, and if she gets really frisky maybe a Kalua and Cream. But she might have 1-2 a night. I wish I didn't have to upgrade her, but alas, we did. 

I told her to get as much value out of the bottled ice teas, premium bottled waters, Vitamin Water and the Spa Café fresh juices as much as possible. LOL Which she can! The upgrade cost with the Select benefit was only 150.00 pp after gratuities for the 8N cruise, so Its not hard to make up the difference with the non-alcoholic options in Premium.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

Rather than both of you upgrading,which I can understand you not wanting to, depending on what your husband drinks that is premium, it might end up not costing too much for him to just pay the difference for the premium drinks.

Laura

Everything he drinks on the ship is Premium.  It's his vacation and the last thing I want is for him to have to think about it every time he orders a drink, If I can't work it out I'll  pay the piper and just be annoyed.  Oddly, I was not bothered by Celebrity's "nickel and dime changes" until now. I guess they were bound to hit me eventually.

17 hours ago, bboop51 said:

IMO the time it would take the doctor to print a template, sign and scan back to you is well worth the 10min they would spend to save you from about $75 per day you would spend a drink package you don't need ( based off $30 zero $109 premium). Now if you can drink over $75 worth of coffee, juices, bottled water, red bull plus the fancy waters then by all means you would save money but if you won't drink that much then that's at least a upgrade on wifi, a bag of laundry, a shore excursion or part of one (depending on if you book independently or through the cruise) or dinner at one of the restaurants. 

• Like 1

I'm (sort of) in the same boat.  I do not drink alcohol (not for medical reasons, this is by choice), but there are some in the cabin who do, and as a result, I had to get the package chosen by them.  Since mine includes mocktails, my plan is to capitalize on the mocktails.  Virgin Pina Coladas, here I come!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bboop51 said:

Everything he drinks on the ship is Premium.  It's his vacation and the last thing I want is for him to have to think about it every time he orders a drink, If I can't work it out I'll  pay the piper and just be annoyed.  Oddly, I was not bothered by Celebrity's "nickel and dime changes" until now. I guess they were bound to hit me eventually.

Then I would definitely get a letter from your dr.

Laura

• Like 1

Do we know for sure that Celebrity requires a note from one's doctor for this purpose? I would have thought that a simple affirmation that you are unable to consume alcohol would have been enough. I mean, what if you're an alcoholic? What note could you possibly provide?

@bboop51 I would make 2 separate calls to customer service. First, change your package to Zero Proof out of personal necessity, assuming no dr. note is required. Then a second call at a later time to upgrade your husband's package to premium.

Edited by RichYak
tagging OP
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

Then I would definitely get a letter from your dr.

Laura

Laura, As per our previous discussions,  I told Richard I'm getting his Lobster just on GP. (He's allergic.)

8 hours ago, RichYak said:

Do we know for sure that Celebrity requires a note from one's doctor for this purpose? I would have thought that a simple affirmation that you are unable to consume alcohol would have been enough. I mean, what if you're an alcoholic? What note could you possibly provide?

@bboop51 I would make 2 separate calls to customer service. First, change your package to Zero Proof out of personal necessity, assuming no dr. note is required. Then a second call at a later time to upgrade your husband's package to premium.

I only know what the rep told me. I would have thought my affirmation would have been good enough. In face, that was my thought exactly. what if I was an alcoholic, it's not like AA gives a note (I presume. The classic package comes with out cruise, so there no changing it. Next week I may try again, if I feel like sitting on the phone, if not I'll wait until we board. 

Update !!!!  I called the Captains Club number and got a lovely young woman who told me the same thing. I explained my plight and she said she would reach out to her resolutions team. 

She expected the they would downgrade my package to zero alcohol to upgrade his. I was fine with that.

After quite a bit of time on hold and two call backs. It was done (with no switch.. I remain on the classic bev package.) No Drs. note either.  Hubby has his upgrade with all our discounts an I am happy (except I should not have had to work so hard for this.)

• Like 1

The difficulty arises when trying to adjust an existing reservation. Their system doesn't like the employees changing certain things easily, thus needed approval from supervisors.  I recently called to add beverage packages to a cruise I have booked with no perks (comped cruise ), and wanted my Elite discount. My wife is a diabetic and i requested the zero proof for her , and the premium bev pkg for myself. No doctors note needed, one relatively quick call and it was done. Surprisingly easy

• Like 1