Ordering something from the PREVIOUS NIGHT'S menu?

Crusin Karen

I LOVE CCL fried calamari.  They offer it on night 1 in MDR.  My last cruise I went to Steakhouse on the 1st night and I have reservations for 1st night on my next cruise.  Would it be kosher to ask my MDR server on night 2 if they could cook me up an order?  I'm very easy going and hate asking for "special treatment" lol! 

1 minute ago, Crusin Karen said:

I LOVE CCL fried calamari.  They offer it on night 1 in MDR.  My last cruise I went to Steakhouse on the 1st night and I have reservations for 1st night on my next cruise.  Would it be kosher to ask my MDR server on night 2 if they could cook me up an order?  I'm very easy going and hate asking for "special treatment" lol! 

You can ask.  The wait staff will go to the Maitre who will say no.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

What time do you go to the steakhouse?  I am finding the most everything on the MDR menu is available in the buffet.  Why don’t you go to the buffet before you go to the steakhouse and see if it is available.  Or if you have anytime dining go after the steakhouse and tell them you only want dessert…but order the calamari.  EM

• Like 2

The first night is one of the nights my wife and I always do the MDR...we love calimari, brisket, sweet & sour shrimp, and tiramisu. I know they have the brisket on the buffet but I don't remember if they do the calimari up there or not...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The first night is one of the nights my wife and I always do the MDR...we love calimari, brisket, sweet & sour shrimp, and tiramisu. I know they have the brisket on the buffet but I don't remember if they do the calimari up there or not...

I'll check in June! 😊

27 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

I'll check in June! 😊

I will be honest my wife and I will usually do the MDR pretty much every night, then hit up the buffet just before it closes for a second small helping of whatever we loved. I do know the fried oysters are on the buffet, but like I said I can't remember if the calimari is.

• Like 1

You don’t say which ship you are on, I may have missed it. 

But, if you have a Seafood Shack the calamari baskets on the Magic last month were fantastic.  A minor upcharge for a treat that was made to order.   We ended picking these up a couple of times for an afternoon snack - a good portion and the dipping sauce was very good. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I don't go to restaurants on land and ask for the food I had the night before when it's not on the menu. I think the galley crew and wait team members on cruise ships deserve the same courtesy. 

I don't think it's discourteous at all to ask for a certain menu item from the previous night. It's not a big deal. It's either yes or no. All they would have to do is open up a box of Mrs. Paul's and throw it in the fryer.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I don't think it's discourteous at all to ask for a certain menu item from the previous night. It's not a big deal. It's either yes or no. All they would have to do is open up a box of Mrs. Paul's and throw it in the fryer.

Actually, it is a big deal.  I had a tablemate who was on the second leg of a B2B pester wait staff to make a dish that wasn't on the menu for the second cruise.  He asked them repeatedly because he loved it so.  They finally went and got the Maitre (who needs to make the request).  The Maitre said no at first but relented finally and went to the kitchen to make the request to the Chef.  The Maitre came back and said that the Chef would prepare the dish the next night.  Great, says the guy.  

Next night, guess who doesn't show up for dinner?  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Actually, it is a big deal.  I had a tablemate who was on the second leg of a B2B pester wait staff to make a dish that wasn't on the menu for the second cruise.  He asked them repeatedly because he loved it so.  They finally went and got the Maitre (who needs to make the request).  The Maitre said no at first but relented finally and went to the kitchen to make the request to the Chef.  The Maitre came back and said that the Chef would prepare the dish the next night.  Great, says the guy.  

Next night, guess who doesn't show up for dinner?  

there’s a big difference in asking and what you’re describing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Same process. No waiter is going to ask the Chef to prepare an off menu item.  The request must follow the chain of command

so the answer is no and move on. No big deal. It’s not disrespectful or discourteous to ask. There was a time when guests were valued on carnival and were encouraged to ask for whatever they wanted. I am aware those days are long gone.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sanger727 said:

The kitchen is setup to make the current offerings and pop meals out quickly. To do that everything is prepped ahead of time. Asking for calamari on the night they don’t have it would be a major inconvenience.

Yes that's what I thought too and I am not the kind of person who likes to rock the boat (!)  i'm almost shy about asking for "special things" so I was just wondering if anyone had done it and if it was not an inconvenience to any of the staff.  

6 hours ago, lesters said:

You don’t say which ship you are on, I may have missed it. 

But, if you have a Seafood Shack the calamari baskets on the Magic last month were fantastic.  A minor upcharge for a treat that was made to order.   We ended picking these up a couple of times for an afternoon snack - a good portion and the dipping sauce was very good. 

Actually I WAS booked on Magic but they switched to Venezia!

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

so the answer is no and move on. No big deal. It’s not disrespectful or discourteous to ask. There was a time when guests were valued on carnival and were encouraged to ask for whatever they wanted. I am aware those days are long gone.

This is it exactly.  I am shy about making requests.  I am NOT a rude or demanding person at all, even to other rude and demanding people lol.  I would be like:"can I ask you a question?  I was just wondering.....it's no big deal but just thought I'd ask."  All the while blushing lol.  Maybe I can slip my waitperson in the Steakhouse some extra cash to run down to the kitchen and bring me up a plate lol.

• Like 1